Oenococcus oeni

Reads 3368 • Replies 19 • Started Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:00:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
08:00 Wed 7/15/2015

Anyone know if this microbe will produce lactic acid without the presence of malic acid? Did a preliminary search and found nothing.

CLevar
places 23 º 08:12 Wed 7/15/2015

Final answer: yes

HornyDevil
08:21 Wed 7/15/2015

Thanks, Caleb! I hoped that you would respond. What was your source for this, if you don’t mind?

CLevar
places 23 º 09:04 Wed 7/15/2015

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02628.x/asset/j.1365-2672.2005.02628.x.pdf?v=1&t=ic4u75yy&s=1b965b46fb904f6aa7639223fbf0f39d09a8c048

The title is "Studies on growth and metabolism of Oenococcus oeni on sugars and sugar mixtures.
" if that link doesn’t work for you.

CLevar
places 23 º 09:37 Wed 7/15/2015

Looks like some strains can utilize trehelose which, is neat. Despite having the gene encoding the enzyme that breaks maltose (into a presumably usable glucose), that same manuscript did not show maltose utilization. Could be due to lack of a maltose transporter perhaps.

HornyDevil
05:54 Wed 7/29/2015

So, to update, I just made a starter with this strain last night. Will pitch it into a non-hopped wort (just incase it is inhibited by IBUs or hop compounds as I can’t find any info on that) made with pils and wheat. I’m going to give it about a day’s head start and then pitch the wyeast Canadian-Belgian strain (Unibroue) along with some Brett beer dregs. I’ll get back to you guys in a couple months with results, as I’ll probably only let this beer go 8 weeks before bottling. This thread should still be on the first page by then, ehh? ;)

CLevar
places 23 º 06:39 Wed 7/29/2015

Will you check the pH of the starter? Did you add any glucose to the starter?

HornyDevil
07:21 Wed 7/29/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Will you check the pH of the starter?

Probably not as I don’t own a pH meter. I guess I could get one from someone if I really wanted to do so.

Did you add any glucose to the starter?

Nope. Why do you ask?

CLevar
places 23 º 08:25 Wed 7/29/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Will you check the pH of the starter?

Probably not as I don’t own a pH meter. I guess I could get one from someone if I really wanted to do so.

Did you add any glucose to the starter?

Nope. Why do you ask?

If the strain of bacteria that you have can’t use maltose (and it seems like this is the case for this bacteria) is worry a bit that the amount of usable carbon in the starter isn’t enough to really get your cell count up.

It doesn’t really matter, as, if given enough time, the cells you pitch will make lactic acid (provided wort has all the factors required for the growth of this organism), but I like to have things happen a bit faster and adding lots of cells can accomplish this.

Adding glucose to Lacto. starters has allowed me to get fairly high CFU, and I consider that a good thing. Other additions such as tryptone, yeast extract, etc can also help with cell density, but depending on the v/v pitch I worry about adding too much "umami" character.

Sorry for the rambling answer

HornyDevil
08:28 Wed 7/29/2015

Sorry for the rambling answer

No reason to apologize. The information is very useful.

HornyDevil
05:23 Tue 8/4/2015

Just pitched the Canadian-Belgian strain last night, as the beer was just starting to form a krausen/biofilm. More to come on this project in the coming weeks.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer