One Day in STL

Reads 3782 • Replies 66 • Started Monday, November 21, 2016 10:48:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 22:48 Mon 11/21/2016

I’ll have two nights and one day in STL next month. Probably Dec. 15th-16th (Thursday, Friday).

First of all, I’d love to meet up with some locals.

Also, what are the essential stops in town?

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 06:41 Tue 11/22/2016

Thought this place was worth it for beer:

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/bridge-tap-house-wine-bar/16145/

They have lots of stuff from the area as well. A little pricey for the quality of food, so I’d look to eat elsewhere.

I’ve learned my lesson- no more long recommendation posts!

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 19:23 Tue 11/22/2016

Some "must do" stops are Side Project and Perennial. Civil Life and 4 Hands are also recommended. If you are at 4 Hands you are very close to ITAP Sourlard.

It is too early for me to know what is going on for me during that time. But I will keep an eye on that time frame.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 10:57 Wed 11/23/2016

I’d actually recommend against Side Project. The beer is good, but the clientele can be very off-putting and don’t represent most of the local beer scene. Civil Life would be a must, Urban Chestnut’s Grove location, and Earthbound would all make my list.

I’ll certainly try to make an appearance. Let me know as the dates get closer where/when you want to meet.

vyvvy
beers 7776 º places 26 º 11:42 Wed 11/23/2016

My top recommendations in the city area would be:
Civil Life for traditional styles, Heavy Riff for variety and mostly sessionable and Earthbound for the experimenting. If you are up north in Florissant (my neck of the woods) I highly recommend Narrow Gauge (Cuginos) for northeast style IPAs. Narrow Gauge if fairly new, but they are just killing it. Hopefully they have a version of their Copra porter on at that time.

At this point there is a decent chance I’ll be around when you’re here & would love to meet up if schedules mesh.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:02 Wed 11/23/2016

Another opinion. Side Project, Civil Life, and Bridge if you r looking for a selection rather than brewery.

It depends on where you are staying.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 12:48 Wed 11/23/2016

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Another opinion. Side Project, Civil Life, and Bridge if you r looking for a selection rather than brewery.

And good less expensive hotels near some good breweries?

I do tend to gravitate more towards breweries than bars. But an excellent bar is always worth it.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 15:08 Wed 11/23/2016

Originally posted by Drake

I do tend to gravitate more towards breweries than bars. But an excellent bar is always worth it.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 15:10 Wed 11/23/2016

The Drury at Union Station would be a great home base, and within walking distance from the Schlafly taproom. Quite close to 4Hands, Square One, Urban Chestnut, and Alpha.

sethdude
beers 708 º places 17 º 15:19 Wed 11/23/2016

Also, at some point in your stay here people are going to tell you that you just have to try St. Louis-style pizza, most likely from a joint called Imo’s. Don’t. Or at least don’t try it unless someone else paid for it. It’s shit-tier, an aquired taste that only locals love after being raised on it. It’s taken me 13 years of living here to finally find it palateable. I would never, ever suggest it to out-of-towners.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 16:57 Wed 11/23/2016

Originally posted by sethdude

I just happened to have stayed there on my first STL visit!

The Drury at Union Station would be a great home base, and within walking distance from the Schlafly taproom. Quite close to 4Hands, Square One, Urban Chestnut, and Alpha.