open air fermenting

Reads 1615 • Replies 13 • Started Monday, January 18, 2016 10:17:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 18:45 Wed 2/3/2016

It’s been about17 days and the jug is still slowly bubbling, and it smells like nail polish. I have little expectation that this will be drinkable, but one of these days I’ll give it a try, I’m sure. Suffice to say, this experiment failed, but I’ll try again and see what develops the next time, when I leave it outdoors for a night before putting the airlock on it.

HornyDevil
18:54 Wed 2/3/2016

Originally posted by sylvia40
It’s been about17 days and the jug is still slowly bubbling, and it smells like nail polish. I have little expectation that this will be drinkable, but one of these days I’ll give it a try, I’m sure. Suffice to say, this experiment failed, but I’ll try again and see what develops the next time, when I leave it outdoors for a night before putting the airlock on it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Before you go just throwin’ shit out here’s something to think about. Quite possible that your collection was successful, but your fermentation technique simply sucked. Might I suggest decanting the liquid from this beer and pitching the cake into another wort? One which will, hopefully, be kept as free from oxygen as possible.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 14:41 Mon 2/8/2016

There’s a thought. Maybe I’ll try it with the last runnings of some pale ale in a month or so. Can’t hurt to use the slurry in one and try open air overnight in another and see if there’s a difference. Thanks for the idea

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer