Pairing with smoked salmon?

Reads 6129 • Replies 31 • Started Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:45:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

robertjm
beers 1083 º places 19 º 13:39 Sat 5/5/2012

Steigl Radler! Think the light lemony goodness would go well.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 14:07 Sat 5/5/2012

Originally posted by Nightfall
It your salmon is from fish farm with high fat ratio go with a smoked beer. It pairs nice and cuts the grease.
For wild caught , good quality salmon , I would pair with a kriek.

+1

Foreign Stout

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 15:02 Sat 5/5/2012

Chablis

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 16:41 Sat 5/5/2012

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by fiver29
I’m thinking a good smoke beer would make sense. Any others?

Michael Jackson would agree. He loved Alaskan Smoked Porter with smoked fish.

Yep. Alaskan smokes their malt in a former salmon smokery, using alderwood, which is the same type used for salmon (or at least is prominent for smoking salmon--not sure if other woods are used as well). A good "resonance" pairing.

fiver29
beers 1112 º places 52 º 19:27 Sat 5/5/2012

Thanks for the replies. I would have thought a good smoked porter such as Alaskan would make sense. I didn’t know all the info though about Alaskan. So thanks for that. I’m surprised by the other suggestions such as kriek or gose.

So why would those be a good choice? I don’t understand why farm raised vs. wild caught should make a difference.

AcctError62185
places 1 º 06:42 Sun 5/6/2012

Thanks for the replies. I would have thought a good smoked porter such as Alaskan would make sense. I didn’t know all the info though about Alaskan. So thanks for that. I’m surprised by the other suggestions such as kriek or gose.

So why would those be a good choice? I don’t understand why farm raised vs. wild caught should make a difference.

Farm raised is much fattier, almost like a different species of fish altogether.

I actually like farm raised salmon a lot, and wild caught salmon(especially silver salmon) at lot, but they are almost as much different as salmon and trout.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 07:08 Sun 5/6/2012

Originally posted by Tibeerious

Farm raised is much fattier, almost like a different species of fish altogether.

I actually like farm raised salmon a lot, and wild caught salmon(especially silver salmon) at lot, but they are almost as much different as salmon and trout.

I agree.

Unfortunately in Europe most of the salmon available (I live in Scandinavia) is disgusting Norwegian fish farm salmon.
I just stopped eating it.
It’s so fatty, oily, unbearable; if you cook it with skin, there are at least 3mm of fat under the skin, more of it near the belly; it looks like made of white and pink stripes (I’ll try to post a picture).
I just wait when I go back to Switzerland and find some wild Alaskan or Canadian wild salmon...

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 07:12 Sun 5/6/2012

By the way, that reminds me a recipe with salmon, simple and tasty.

To make it simple:
lay some alu foil; use a salmon chop, add some butter, white wine, salt, pepper, herbs (e.g. estragon); close the alu foil wrap, sealed but not too tight to the salmon, and bake in the oven for 20 or more minutes.

VivasBeer
beers 2 º places 1 º 07:32 Sun 5/6/2012

So nobody asked if this is Cold or Hot smoked salmon....that would make a big difference.

For cold smoked (lox style, looks raw) I would go with a Pils or a light Lager because of the delicate nature of the fish.

Hot smoked? Nasty lol