Portland, OR trip

Reads 11706 • Replies 49 • Started Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:28:32 AM CT

Thread Frozen

Westmeister
beers 2129 º places 64 º 06:28 Tue 1/10/2012

I am going out to visit a buddy in a couple of weeks to ski. I will have a full day and a couple of nights to hit up as many places as possible. He lives directly across from Bridgeport. I did go and look at all the places listed on RB, but wanted to get some local feedback and any insight that can be provided. What are the must visit breweries, bars and bottle shops? Thanks in advance.

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 06:33 Tue 1/10/2012

As far as breweries, definitely hit up Deschutes. I havenít been, but my fiancee is there right now, and she had great things to say about the place. And they have Abyss on tap right now!

notalush
beers 5866 º places 405 º 06:38 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by Westmeister
I am going out to visit a buddy in a couple of weeks to ski. I will have a full day and a couple of nights to hit up as many places as possible. He lives directly across from Bridgeport. I did go and look at all the places listed on RB, but wanted to get some local feedback and any insight that can be provided. What are the must visit breweries, bars and bottle shops? Thanks in advance.

These were my favorite places when I visited last month:

Breweries:

Hair of the Dog
Upright (not the nicest or easiest to find place, but the beers make it worth a visit)
Cascade Barrel House (while their beer quality is spotty, you canít beat over a dozen house-made sours on tap at once)

Bars:

Baileyís Taproom (absolutely essential)

Bottle Shops:

Belmont Station
Beermongers

These bottle shops are also tasting and tap rooms. They have a certain number of beers on tap, plus you can buy anything in the store for on-site consumption.

Travlr
beers 24292 º places 2812 º 06:39 Tue 1/10/2012

Lesser knowns - Upright was one of my favorite places in Portland, and New Old Lompoc was interesting. More mainstream, Hair of the Dog is amazing, as is the Cascade Barrel Room.

JohnF
07:13 Tue 1/10/2012

If you get over to the East side (and with a single day and two nights you wonít run out of places on the West side) I think Apex is the best beer bar. It is nearly across the street from Beer Mongers. If you have a little extra time on the way to or from skiing and can go a bit out of your way for a meal, I think Walking Man in Stephenson, WA is worth the trip.

Westmeister
beers 2129 º places 64 º 07:16 Tue 1/10/2012

Thanks everyone. I am starting to get more excited about the beer possibilities than I am the skiing.

DA
places 1 º 08:06 Tue 1/10/2012

Near Bridgeport on the west side downtown is Deschutes and Baileys Taproom, both are excellent. There are a couple more places, but after those two I would highly recommend the other side of the river (a short walk or easy bus ride).

On the close in east side my favorites are:
Hair of the Dog
Upright (limited hours, check on their website, also open before any Portland Trailblazers games)
BeerMongers / Apex (across the street from each other)
Belmont Station / Horsebrass
Burnside Brewing

A bit further out, but accessible by bus are:
Breakside (great new brewery)
Hopworks (some people love this place, Iím so/so)
Lompoc 5th Quadrant

Also, since youíre skiing at Mt. Hood, stopping in Hood River after a day of skiing should be a priority, itís not far out of the way and you could check out: Double Mountain (great pizza and beer), Full Sail, and Big Horse. Also directly on the other side of the River is Everybodys Brewing, and 10 minutes down the road from that is Walking Man.

jercraigs
beers 10303 º places 536 º 08:24 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by notalush
Cascade Barrel House (while their beer quality is spotty, you canít beat over a dozen house-made sours on tap at once)

Is this only upstairs? They only had like one sour on when we were there last year but we were in the basement pub.

DarkLordDude
09:12 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by jerc
Originally posted by notalush

Is this only upstairs? They only had like one sour on when we were there last year but we were in the basement pub.

You must have been to the original Cascade/Raccoon Lodge location on the west side. It has a two story pub and restaurant, and seems to cater to the pedestrian suburban tastes. The Cascade Barrel House is on the inner east side near HOTD and the Green Dragon, and has 10-12 sours and a few standard ales on tap at all times.

philhyde
09:42 Tue 1/10/2012

Cascade Barrel House is definitely worth a visit. Sours arenít very high on my list, but they have so many varieties. I found some of the milder ones very pleasing. Gave me a whole new appreciation for the style!

jckp64
beers 356 º places 7 º 10:45 Tue 1/10/2012

Got to go to hair of the dog