Portland, OR trip

Reads 13101 • Replies 49 • Started Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:28:32 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 19:15 Tue 1/10/2012

I also am a fan of Lucky Lab and Laurelwood Public House, too.

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 20:15 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by billk
As an OT note, there’s a restaurant called LEPIGEON. It’s in the $100 a head zone to do a full meal with wine but well worth it. It’s been my best restaurant experience twice.
Sit at the bar where you can watch the master and his assistants prepare every dish.

And if you’d like a more affordable option, the owner also runs a place called Little Bird that I’ve heard great things about.

Me too. Will have to go there on my next visit. I was a big fan of Lucky Labs till last August when I visited Portland again. It was quite a let down.

akim
beers 8 º 20:30 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by DA
As an OT note, there’s a restaurant called LEPIGEON. It’s in the $100 a head zone to do a full meal with wine but well worth it. It’s been my best restaurant experience twice.
Sit at the bar where you can watch the master and his assistants prepare every dish.

And if you’d like a more affordable option, the owner also runs a place called Little Bird that I’ve heard great things about.

Me too. Will have to go there on my next visit. I was a big fan of Lucky Labs till last August when I visited Portland again. It was quite a let down.

Which one and what didn’t you like about it?

notalush
beers 7119 º places 452 º 21:20 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by buffalohead
Horse Brass Pub, it’s an icon. (close to Belmont) Might even find some Bend Brewing on tap there.
Don’t know how anyone could leave this out, easily on par with Toranado
in SF I think.

My impression was that it was more like a relic than an icon. Not impressed.

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 21:55 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by akim
Which one and what didn’t you like about it?

The old truck garage on Quimby.
The beers just seemed mediocre. When I was there in Aug ’08 I thought almost everything was fresh, well made.

I think relic is an excellent choice for Horse Brass as well. Deschutes is what I drink 90% of the time here at home, but going there in Portland would only come after everything else was done first.
I think if I lived there I’d be a permanent fixture at Upright.

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 22:05 Tue 1/10/2012

If you need an old skool arcade fix hit up Ground Kontrol - open who knows how late and is licenced with shitty beers. Amazing condition pinballs on the second level.. it was my sober up point between Deschutes and Baileys. Also, next door to Baileys eat at the crappy looking Santeria which has toilets in the seedy strip bar...

DA
places 1 º 08:15 Wed 1/11/2012

Originally posted by Vertical Bacon Strips
Also, next door to Baileys eat at the crappy looking Santeria which has toilets in the seedy strip bar...

I believe you can also have Santeria deliver into Baileys, so you can enjoy a good burrito with quality beer and nicer bathrooms.

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 08:43 Wed 1/11/2012

Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by Westmeister
So. Many. Option.

Well, lucky for you Portland is pretty small. In a given night you could hit up 3 or 4 places with out even feeling rushed, even walking.

Honestly if I were you this would be my itinerary assuming 1 full day and 2 nights:

1st night: (staying close to Bridgeport Brewery)
Dinner at Deschutes (10 blockish)
walk to Baileys for pints (5 blockish)
nighty night

2nd full day:
walk or bus to Burnside brewing for beer at noon (11 blocks and bus)
walk to Hair of the Dog for lunch/beer (13ish blocks)
walk/bus to Apex & Beer Mongers (long hike, short bus)
walk north 10 blocks to Cascade/Green Dragon (13 blockish)
hop the bus up Belmont to Horsebrass / Belmont Station (30 blocks?)

2nd night:
If it’s a Friday, Sat, or Sun, I would take a bus to Upright,
then I would hop on the Max going north and drop by the folling:
Amnesia brewing (max train + 5 blocks)
Lovelys 50/50 pizza (3 blocks)
Lompoc 5th Quadrant (7ish blocks)

If you had an extra day or if you can swing it going to/from skiing then I would do the Hood River loop. As far as food goes Portland is saturated with incredible food carts, so you’re bound to run across good food everywhere. If not, most of the breweries make decent food, though if you’re a foodie then I would do some research or ask for more suggestions, there could be a whole other post just on that.

Now that is what I am talking about. You completely cutout all thinking. Thanks!

kbutler1
beers 1383 º places 107 º 11:53 Wed 1/11/2012

Thanks for starting this thread! I’ll be in town 1/25 - 1/29 and this is a great guide to all the spots I need to hit. I’m staying at the McMenamins Crystal Hotel so I think Deschutes is only a couple blocks away.

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 15:37 Wed 1/11/2012

Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by Vertical Bacon Strips
Also, next door to Baileys eat at the crappy looking Santeria which has toilets in the seedy strip bar...

I believe you can also have Santeria deliver into Baileys, so you can enjoy a good burrito with quality beer and nicer bathrooms.

This is true. However, Santeria is open really late and a visit to the urinal is a worthy trip just for the laughs.