Possible visit to Australia July 2013

Reads 923 • Replies 8 • Started Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:55:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 01:55 Thu 12/13/2012

I posted this on another forum, but thought I might as well post it here as well, see if I can get answers from different sources

---

So to any Aussies out there, and others that have visited the continent down under.

I am sort of planning, or at least hoping, to visit Australia next summer.

I am looking at spending July and perhaps a week or max two more, about 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Will for sure go to Melbourne and Sydney, also thinking to go to Tasmania, likely Brisbane and possibly Geelong.

What do you say, how long would you need in each of these places?

What other places should I visit if this turns out to be my only visit?

Do I have enough time to head over to New Zeeland as well, or should I stick to one country on this trip?

I have a mate I’ll likely be staying with in Melbourne and another in Brisbane as well as Geelong, but do you know of any places in Sydney and Tasmania (which I know nothing about really) where you think one can stay fairly cheap and still safe enough? I don’t mind sleeping on a couch or in a hostel if it is safe enough to leave my stuff and a decent way of getting around by public transport or walking etc.

I’d gladly take tips on how to best move inbetween the different places/cities as well, though no driving since I like to drink on my vacations, also I refuse to drive on that weird side of the rode, every time a car goes into a roundabout in the UK and I’m in the car I shut my eyes and scream like a girl...

So what am I after on my vacation?
Well everything beer related. Visit breweries of different sizes, brewers, home brewers, beer personalities, pub and micro and macro breweries, best bars, try as many beers as I can etc.
Perhaps visit a hop farm if possible?

Also interested in trying local food, meeting people, going to metal places.

I am interested in walking around in cities, as well as in nature, but I don’t like to spend 4 hours looking at one building, I’m more of walking by and saying "oh, so that’s how it looks like" and then walking on.
For example, did all of inner London’s sights in one day mainly on foot, then we still had time to hit the pubs.

Well, that’s a lot of questions and stuff to start off with, lets see what kind of answers I get

Cheers

Unm4rk3d
beers 87 º 22:19 Thu 2/21/2013

Hi.
If come to Brisbane definitely check out:
The Scratch - Milton (also here is xxxx brewery)
Archive Bar - Westend
Green Beacon Brewery - Newstead
The German Club / Brew House - Woolloongabba (also here is The Gabba Stadium; Morrison hotel for steaks)

Well im sure your friend knows about these places.
PM me is you want more ideas. :)

hawthorne00
beers 8459 º places 63 º 03:13 Sat 2/23/2013

You’re a Swede, right? Oddly, you might feel cold. A mate came here from Uppsala and said his first winter in Melbourne was the coldest he’d ever been - it’s not actually very cold at all, but buildings are not well insulated or heated.

Moving around: not driving is a good idea. The distances are wearing. Even Melb-Sydney is 10 hours.

With all possible respect to Geelong, going there is only worth it if you visit the Great Ocean Road (and someone else drives).

Some beerish thought later if others don’t chime in.

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 04:09 Fri 3/1/2013

OK, booked!
Fly Gothenburg - Frankfurt July 7, depart Frankfurt again same evening
Land Singapore July 8

Stay that night and one full day in Singapore, get into the time zone some, and see a new country for the price of two hotel nights =)

Depart Singapore July 10, land that afternoon in Sydney

Fly back home from Sydney morning of August 11

Sweet!

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 04:09 Fri 3/1/2013

Originally posted by Unm4rk3d
Hi.
If come to Brisbane definitely check out:
The Scratch - Milton (also here is xxxx brewery)
Archive Bar - Westend
Green Beacon Brewery - Newstead
The German Club / Brew House - Woolloongabba (also here is The Gabba Stadium; Morrison hotel for steaks)

Well im sure your friend knows about these places.
PM me is you want more ideas. :)

Thanks!
I’ll check with my mate in Brisbane as well, but appreciate the tips

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 04:11 Fri 3/1/2013

Originally posted by hawthorne00
You’re a Swede, right? Oddly, you might feel cold. A mate came here from Uppsala and said his first winter in Melbourne was the coldest he’d ever been - it’s not actually very cold at all, but buildings are not well insulated or heated.

Moving around: not driving is a good idea. The distances are wearing. Even Melb-Sydney is 10 hours.

With all possible respect to Geelong, going there is only worth it if you visit the Great Ocean Road (and someone else drives).

Some beerish thought later if others don’t chime in.

Yeah, I’m not a sun and heat kind of guy, but thanks for the advice, might put in some sweater and stuff in my pack then

Geelong is for visiting a mate, and going to the scenery etc.

Thanks!

gnoff
beers 11277 º places 838 º 18:50 Wed 6/19/2013

so

flights to Singapore + living arranged
flights to Sydney and living done
flights to Brisbane and living under control
flights to Melbourne and living checks out
going to Geelong will work out, living fixed
going back to Melbournde will somehow work + staying one more night somehow
ferry to Tasmania - Devonport + hostel OK
bus to Launceston and living done
bus to Hobart + hostel done
flight to Sydney done
need to find a place to stay at or close to the airport in Sydney
flights back home done

will be quite the trip

fletchfighters
beers 1836 º places 184 º 20:58 Wed 6/19/2013

if you feel like trading while in Sydney. Hit me up. Or can do a bottle share as well.
Do suggest a sweater for Sydney. Currently 18 here and nights get down to 7-8 in the city. Insulation is terrible here. Always cold in the house.

hawthorne00
beers 8459 º places 63 º 06:35 Sat 6/22/2013

Not so into trading, but if you’re free sometime in Melbourne and would like to meet, give me a yell.