Prague, Germany, Belgium, Italy itinerary - advice please

Reads 4335 • Replies 37 • Started Friday, April 5, 2013 6:29:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Nightfall
beers 1313 º places 45 º 07:10 Tue 4/9/2013

Anyone know Geneva well? Anything interesting worth checking out there in the way of beer?

Beautiful city, but not in terms of Beer at all.

If you are passing by Switzerland, the only truly great place I can think of is Erzbierschof.
They have a shop with great bottles (many hard to find US ones as well) : http://www.erzbierschof.ch/web/biershop/herkunftsland.html
and a Bar with 14 taps :
http://bar.erzbierschof.ch/on-tap .
They are located near Berne (about 10’ by train).

adwalton53
beers 1 º places 4 º 14:08 Tue 4/9/2013

if you fit yorkshire, england in i’ll buy you a pint or three in bradford. the kolsh in cologne is well worth the trip try in in the swimm in any bar

Doomed
beers 16 º 17:27 Fri 4/12/2013

Sadly, England will have to wait another trip. I won’t have enough time to do it justice.

Any recommended day trips from Cologne or Bamberg?

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 18:53 Fri 4/12/2013

Have a great trip. My advice is to stock up on Polotmavy lagers in Prague.

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 22:33 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by Doomed
Sadly, England will have to wait another trip. I won’t have enough time to do it justice.

Any recommended day trips from Cologne or Bamberg?

Four highly recommended brewpubs are waiting for You in Duesseldorf. It takes only half an hour to reach them from Cologne by train!
The situation is a bit different in Bamberg; the town is sorrounded by villages with brewpubs, but they are hard to reach by public transport. Try Forchheim, four breweries and a nice "Kellerberg"; the town itself is also worth a visit!

TreinJan
beers 4 º places 179 º 08:02 Sat 4/13/2013

The Bamberg city bus will take you to several villages just outside Bamberg. To Bischberg for Zur Sonne, good beers and very good food. To Stegaurach, for Mühlenbräu and Müller. To Memmelsdorf for Drei Kronen and Höhn and then on to Drosendorf for Göller. Finally to Merkendorf for Wagner and Hummel. Apart from Merkendorf, all places have at least one bus per hour during the day (until around 19:00/20:00).

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:59 Sun 4/14/2013

Originally posted by TreinJan
The Bamberg city bus will take you to several villages just outside Bamberg. To Bischberg for Zur Sonne, good beers and very good food. To Stegaurach, for Mühlenbräu and Müller. To Memmelsdorf for Drei Kronen and Höhn and then on to Drosendorf for Göller. Finally to Merkendorf for Wagner and Hummel. Apart from Merkendorf, all places have at least one bus per hour during the day (until around 19:00/20:00).

And then there’s the 20 minute (?) train ride to Forchheim with its breweries and Bierkeller(s) on the hill at the edge of town. Or in the other two directions, for a shedload of other breweries.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 23:47 Sun 4/14/2013

Unlike many others, I think you’re not totally out of the question with the better part of a week in Prague. I spent 6 days there and absolutely loved it. You should absolutely go to Zly Casy, and just go to as many bars with fresh Urquell as you can find. Observe the culture, share a beer with a Czech guy, and check out all of the beautiful churches, cool historical things from post- WWII Soviet times, etc.

Other than Belgium I definitely agree with going by train. if you want to get to De Heeren, Grote Dorst, Drie Fonteinen, etc. though, I recommend centralizing out of Brussels and driving from there. It sounds like Bruges might be meant for another trip, but you should go at some point in your life. Stunning little town, with some absolute beer gems (getting buzzed quick at de Garre is a damn good time, T Brugs Beertje is amazing, etc.). Lots of options for day trips overall -- Plzen, Cesky Krumlov, Antwerp, Gent can all be done in a day. Your plan to stay in Vleteren sounds awesome but I also took a train to Poperinge and biked from there to Westvleteren/de Struise and it was an absolutely amazing day. Just something else to consider. Most importantly have fun!!! and don’t overdo it with the beer thing. Europe is fantastic and you should appreciate the history and everything else it has to offer. 24 hours every day is plenty of time to do both.

jorge76
beers 24 º places 452 º 12:44 Wed 4/24/2013

yes i agree with almost everything all posted here .. only one thing .. you must rent a car in bamberg for visiting the area around the town .. we always do like this .. wake up as soon as possible, drive to our favourites brewery/pubs in some little town close(20 km) to bamberg maybe with a good lunch , return to bamberg for going to it’s great breweries in the evening .. doing like this you can visit more villages and good places outside banberg ..

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 23:18 Wed 4/24/2013

Originally posted by jorge76
yes i agree with almost everything all posted here .. only one thing .. you must rent a car in bamberg for visiting the area around the town .. we always do like this .. wake up as soon as possible, drive to our favourites brewery/pubs in some little town close(20 km) to bamberg maybe with a good lunch , return to bamberg for going to it’s great breweries in the evening .. doing like this you can visit more villages and good places outside banberg ..

You absolutely do NOT need to have a car to do this! Train, bus, bike, walk...no drunk & jet-lagged driving on my bicycle routes, please!