Premium Bitter/ESB

Reads 1356 • Replies 22 • Started Friday, October 12, 2012 4:53:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

zdk
beers 1917 º places 96 º 11:35 Sun 10/14/2012

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
It’s because Americans usually brew bitters with US/Canadian pale malt and it just doesn’t have the character of UK malts. American brewers also tend to mash differently on their low/mid-gravity styles.

Joe - how much does the local water play into this? From what I understand, the mineral profile in the UK tends to be 1) in general higher than most American ground water 2) regionally specific.
Maybe this is something that american brewers just can’t recapitulate due to this factor. It would be pretty inefficient to import water from England just to get a bitter right.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 11:41 Sun 10/14/2012

They have salts and other things you can add to your mash for a reason.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 09:57 Mon 10/15/2012

I just want to say that to compare something like bottled Fullers over here to your local versions is a mistake. Fullers cask in London is a lot closer to many American versions, which come out leaner and hoppier because they are fresh and non-pasteurized, unlike imported bottles. I think that a lot of the roundness and fruity-malty notes that people get here in English versions is just the effects of old, pasteurized beer.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 11:19 Mon 10/15/2012

There is no such style as ESB. The only reason you lot think there is is Fuller’s ESB has been exported over to the US for years and Jackson championed it.

"Extra-Special Bitter"? what does that even mean? We have bitter and best bitter from many brewers but ESB? No.

Come to the UK, you’ll not find any other than Fullers without a very, very long search.

Taking a few from the ESB list, Shepherd Neame Late Red is just a bitter, Fuller’s Mr Harry is a weird red ale and Harveys Tom Paine is a Best Bitter.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 11:44 Mon 10/15/2012

From what I understand anything over 4.8% is considered an ESB.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:49 Mon 10/15/2012

Originally posted by Gazza
Come to the UK, you’ll not find any other than Fullers without a very, very long search.

That may be because Fullers protect the trademark assiduously. There are, of course, plenty of strong bitters.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:52 Mon 10/15/2012

Originally posted by SamGamgee
I just want to say that to compare something like bottled Fullers over here to your local versions is a mistake. Fullers cask in London is a lot closer to many American versions, which come out leaner and hoppier because they are fresh and non-pasteurized, unlike imported bottles. I think that a lot of the roundness and fruity-malty notes that people get here in English versions is just the effects of old, pasteurized beer.

Yep

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 12:13 Mon 10/15/2012

Originally posted by chriso
There are, of course, plenty of strong bitters.

Plenty. But not many (very few) fit the criteria for ESB’s in the US.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 12:14 Mon 10/15/2012

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by SamGamgee

Yep

Yes and no - I’ve been the UK many times and although the freshness of the hops certainly affect the taste, what I’m talking about are not the bottled/canned versions we get. It’s still true that the US versions (generally, not always) have a cleaner, less interesting malt component.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 13:35 Mon 10/15/2012

In the UK I feel there is a overlap of the styles and some breweries would call their beer a Premium bitter just to differentiate it from their regular cask bitter. Why? So they can charge a little bit More.