Quality beer on aircraft

Reads 3409 • Replies 30 • Started Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:36:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Ibrew2or3
beers 10004 º places 353 º 14:33 Sun 10/30/2011

Anchor Old Foghorn

Brought a sixer on the plane and cracked two in flight.

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 15:10 Sun 10/30/2011

James Squire Golden Ale on a Qantas flight.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 15:21 Sun 10/30/2011

Originally posted by Ibrew2or3
Anchor Old Foghorn

You work for TSA?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 15:22 Sun 10/30/2011

Originally posted by stefanje
Anchor Old Foghorn

You work for TSA?

Agreed - how’d you pull this off? Were they selling sixers in the terminal? I’ve brought some decent beers on the plane before from bars in the terminal, actually. I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Sun King beers leaving Indy once.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10004 º places 353 º 10:04 Mon 10/31/2011

Originally posted by drowland
Anchor Old Foghorn

You work for TSA?

Agreed - how’d you pull this off? Were they selling sixers in the terminal? I’ve brought some decent beers on the plane before from bars in the terminal, actually. I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Sun King beers leaving Indy once.

Nah, nothing like that.

This was a few years back when people were carrying on cases of wine and putting them up in the overhead. I remember bringing Stones 7th Anniv on the plane so that is around 2004, I think.

So on a United flight I brought on a sixer of Old Foghorn (12oz-ers, so glad they stopped using those 7oz bottles). I remember cracking two and thinking nothing of it. I even used my empty water cup to drink it out of. My next flight a few months later was on United again and I remember them emphasizing before take off that you’re not allowed to open beer/wine/spirits that you’ve carried on the plane per United’s policy. Oops! Man, no one said a word to me while I was clearly drinking beer I carried on.

IMO drinking Old Foghorn = quality beer on an aircraft

Capa
beers 3986 º places 526 º 11:35 Mon 10/31/2011

Bitburger on a Delta flight from Tokyo to NYC.

Anchor Old Foghorn

You work for TSA?

Nah, nothing like that.

This was a few years back when people were carrying on cases of wine and putting them up in the overhead. I remember bringing Stones 7th Anniv on the plane so that is around 2004, I think.

So on a United flight I brought on a sixer of Old Foghorn (12oz-ers, so glad they stopped using those 7oz bottles). I remember cracking two and thinking nothing of it. I even used my empty water cup to drink it out of. My next flight a few months later was on United again and I remember them emphasizing before take off that you’re not allowed to open beer/wine/spirits that you’ve carried on the plane per United’s policy. Oops! Man, no one said a word to me while I was clearly drinking beer I carried on.

I wonder if one could bring an empty growler through security, have it filled at one of the bars popping up in the security zone, and enjoy it on the flight? I know sweetwater has a good pub in Atlanta and there are plenty of others, too.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:47 Mon 10/31/2011

Originally posted by JoePeesie
I’m not a big fan of flying- makes me a touch clostraphobic. I usually just have a couple Makers Marks, up. Then a nice little nap.

You drink bourbon from a martini glass?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 11:51 Mon 10/31/2011

Originally posted by Capa
Bitburger on a Delta flight from Tokyo to NYC.

Anchor Old Foghorn

You work for TSA?

Nah, nothing like that.

I wonder if one could bring an empty growler through security, have it filled at one of the bars popping up in the security zone, and enjoy it on the flight? I know sweetwater has a good pub in Atlanta and there are plenty of others, too.

I doubt they have the ability to properly fill growlers, or have it priced in their system, and I doubt they’d let you.

TimE
beers 8460 º places 409 º 17:34 Mon 10/31/2011

Horizon/Alasakan and I guess now, Virgin America, are the only two carriers that consistently carry craft beer. In Horizon’s case, it is all free, which is even more amazing. I can’t remember which beers I’ve had on Horizon/Alaskan because there were numerous time, but many IPAs, Stouts, Pale Ales, etc from the PNW.

Tim

Ibrew2or3
beers 10004 º places 353 º 00:41 Tue 11/1/2011

Originally posted by TimE
Horizon/Alasakan and I guess now, Virgin America, are the only two carriers that consistently carry craft beer. In Horizon’s case, it is all free, which is even more amazing. I can’t remember which beers I’ve had on Horizon/Alaskan because there were numerous time, but many IPAs, Stouts, Pale Ales, etc from the PNW.

Tim

That’s great news, thanks.