Radio 4 Food Programme Women & Beer

Reads 1702 • Replies 35 • Started Monday, June 12, 2017 9:27:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 09:27 Mon 6/12/2017

You can listen to it at any time or download it for later

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tbrlf

Think beer. Think boys with beards? Think again. The last time Sheila Dillon reported on the women in British beer, in 2013, she met Sara Barton head brewer at Brewster’s brewery in Lincolnshire. At the time Sara was the only woman head brewer in the country and women were drinking only a tenth of all the beer sold in the UK.

Today that figure has nearly tripled, Sara has become the first woman to be named ’Brewer of the Year’ by the Guild of Beer Writers, and women all around the UK are turning to jobs in brewing.

And yet Sheila still prefers a glass of wine in the pub.

In this programme, beer sommelier Jane Peyton introduces Sheila to some of the most exciting beers being brewed by women brewers (or brewsters) in the country. Louise Mulroy and Lucy Stevenson, co-creators of podcast ’We Made a Beer’ demystify the art of brewing. Chemical engineer-come-head brewer at London’s award winning Wild Card brewery shares a one-off brew created by a group of brewers on International Women’s Day. We hear from ’FEM.ALE’ a British festival for all celebrating beer brewed by women. And Sheila asks if there is a biological reason she remains unconvinced by a pint of bitter.

theprof
beers 4295 º places 42 º 12:00 Mon 6/12/2017

Interesting. I remain cynical enough to think that efforts to convert women to beer drinking are largely commercial in motivation. It also explains part of the cider & Perry push. Completely unsurprised by women’s success in brewing and tasting. They can excel at everything except brute force. But pub culture in Britain is still testerone filled and that will change slowly. I wonder how many UK women review beers on this site ?

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 12:50 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by theprof
Interesting. I remain cynical enough to think that efforts to convert women to beer drinking are largely commercial in motivation. It also explains part of the cider & Perry push. Completely unsurprised by women’s success in brewing and tasting. They can excel at everything except brute force. But pub culture in Britain is still testerone filled and that will change slowly. I wonder how many UK women review beers on this site ?

I agree with all of this (apart from the misspelling of testosterone).

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 13:02 Mon 6/12/2017

Ok. Ive been here 10 years. There been LITTLE of no Increase in Women Raters :-(

But in the Same time Women in Pubs (i drink in) drinking beer has Increased by 10x at least

I think (and someone can correct me) that stamp collecting, Train spotting etc are all Male Dominated. So not necessarily tied to Drinking .

With the Advent of more interesting and varied beer, ive definitly seen an increase in Women drinkers.

Only heard the 2nd half of the Program, but really enjoyed the 2nd half (tweeted it a few times) will listen to first half. when i catch up with my radio schedule

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 14:09 Mon 6/12/2017

I’ll try to grab that and listen to is later, thanks for recommending it. Of course, my UK pub-going is hardly representative, so wouldn’t expect to recognise changes there, but I do know that I drink beer with, and meat, as many female beer enthusiasts (several of whom do untappd, so there is the "trainspotting"/"stamp collecting" aspect to it) as male ones here in Tallinn.

On a vaguely related side note, does anyone else find sizeable chunks of this article sexist hogwash: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40165933

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 15:04 Mon 6/12/2017

Cheers Ian, I’ll listen to it later, thanks for posting it.

<*))))))><

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 15:09 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by BlackHaddock

<*))))))><

+1

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:12 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
But in the Same time Women in Pubs (i drink in) drinking beer has Increased by 10x at least

When I did the Cloudwater double IPA thing in BrewDog Shepherds Bush I think at least it was a 50 50 split of women to men in the bar. And this is a bar that has the original SEGA Star Wars arcade game in. I’m all for it. If I have a choice of communicating with some of the older male ticking fraternity in the UK or with some intelligent well rounded women at a beer festival. It’s a no brainer. And again isn’t there a piece somewhere that women make better wine buyers for supermarkets than men as they have a better olfactory sense than men? The male beer geek. Dysfunctional? Debate with decorum. Except of course that is a oxymoron.
I do find it hard though to switch women from gin and tonic or wine to beer. It’s an uphill struggle. There are a couple which will drink beer with me, but I know will go back to a bottle of red wine at home.
I just wish I could get them to love Kernel Pale Ales as much as me as they are enormously approachable beers, that would happily go from citrus white wine to a beer. It just doesn’t take though. A taste yes, a whole bottle? I’m struggling to convince them.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:13 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by theprof

I agree with all of this (apart from the misspelling of testosterone).

I disagree with the "except brute force," I’ve seen enough WPCs take down blokes twice their size to know that’s not true.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:14 Mon 6/12/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by BlackHaddock

<*))))))><

+1

Let the forum know what you both think.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 15:48 Mon 6/12/2017

I really struggle to persuade the women I know to drink beer. Always the same response: too bitter. Better luck with sweeter or sour beers.

Would be interested in the biological vs cultural part of the show, but only if actual research has been done