RateBeer Best: The results are in!

Reads 14836 • Replies 109 • Started Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:38:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 18:20 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by miketd
Originally posted by TAR
In the top ten Best Brewers list:

Founders
Dieu du Ciel
Great Divide Brewing Company
Stone Brewing Co.
Brouwerij de Molen

Utterly aghast about this. I can’t think of one really good beer from any of these brewers, but can think of many that are just plain clumsy, poor and riddled with flaws. We should expect so much more from craft beer, and I say this with the kindest of intentions (although I will undoubtedly be perceived as a snooty mean person).

Not trying to be a dick here, but looking at your top 100 ratings, only a few are recent; almost all of them are from 3+ years ago. Maybe you outgrew beer?

I wager he’s like me, in that over time the element of surprise disappears, and ratings get lower. The more you drink, the more you know, and the lower your ratings get. But that doesn’t mean beer becomes less enjoyable, merely that your standards have become higher before you judge a beer to be world class. I know personally that I enjoy beer now more than ever, despite my top 50 being rather stagnant. A 4.2 now means a lot more today than it did five years ago, because I no longer just award it for stuff like "wow, this is the hoppiest/strongest/sourest/brettiest/craziest beer I’ve ever had!" Now, a 4.2 is something truly world class, something I’d love to revisit over and over again, something that just brings me pure pleasure.

I think a lot of what TAR is getting at is that the breweries he listed just don’t bring that kind of A game to the table that yields 4s for true beer geeks. But their stuff is strong, accessible, and decent enough, and most ratings here are still coming from newer folk (especially of the beers in question), so they get judged a bit higher. Also important is that only a brewers top 3 or 4 beers count; consistency is not an issue at all, and brewers like Great Divide can get by on Yeti/OA Yeti/Chocolate Yeti/Bourbon Yeti alone and not have to worry that Samurai blows.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 18:36 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by miketd
Originally posted by TAR

Founders
Dieu du Ciel
Stone Brewing Co.
Brouwerij de Molen

Utterly aghast about this. I can’t think of one really good beer from any of these brewers, but can think of many that are just plain clumsy, poor and riddled with flaws. We should expect so much more from craft beer, and I say this with the kindest of intentions (although I will undoubtedly be perceived as a snooty mean person).

Not trying to be a dick here, but looking at your top 100 ratings, only a few are recent; almost all of them are from 3+ years ago. Maybe you outgrew beer?

I wager he’s like me, in that over time the element of surprise disappears, and ratings get lower. The more you drink, the more you know, and the lower your ratings get. But that doesn’t mean beer becomes less enjoyable, merely that your standards have become higher before you judge a beer to be world class. I know personally that I enjoy beer now more than ever, despite my top 50 being rather stagnant. A 4.2 now means a lot more today than it did five years ago, because I no longer just award it for stuff like "wow, this is the hoppiest/strongest/sourest/brettiest/craziest beer I’ve ever had!" Now, a 4.2 is something truly world class, something I’d love to revisit over and over again, something that just brings me pure pleasure.

I think a lot of what TAR is getting at is that the breweries he listed just don’t bring that kind of A game to the table that yields 4s for true beer geeks. But their stuff is strong, accessible, and decent enough, and most ratings here are still coming from newer folk (especially of the beers in question), so they get judged a bit higher. Also important is that only a brewers top 3 or 4 beers count; consistency is not an issue at all, and brewers like Great Divide can get by on Yeti/OA Yeti/Chocolate Yeti/Bourbon Yeti alone and not have to worry that Samurai blows.

I understand, as I’m much more critical of beer and brewers than I was a few years ago. And the more that I think about it, I only have issue with Founders being on his list.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 18:47 Wed 1/27/2010

i’m practically blinded by the glistening sheen off of puzzl and miketd’s pretentious e-cocks

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 18:56 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by gunhaver
i’m practically blinded by the glistening sheen off of puzzl and miketd’s pretentious e-cocks

Talk to me when you come out of your Cigar City coma.

And for the record, my e-cock is gigantic!

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 19:04 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by gunhaver

Once again, you’ve succeeded in adding absolutely nothing to a thread. Keep working at it, though, perhaps one day you’ll come up with something of substance.

fata2683
beers 2176 º places 131 º 19:08 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by TAR

Founders
Dieu du Ciel
Stone Brewing Co.
Brouwerij de Molen

I personally love many De Molen brews.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 19:11 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by fata2683
Originally posted by TAR

Founders
Dieu du Ciel
Stone Brewing Co.
Brouwerij de Molen

I personally love many De Molen brews.

I’ve only had a few of their stouts and Bommen & Granaten, with the latter being the only beer I didn’t like. SSS, Hemel & Aarde, and Hel & Verdoemenis were all very very good. Obviously I can’t make a true judgment call here, but I’d like to think that they deserve to be on the list.

MatSciGuy
beers 924 º 19:47 Wed 1/27/2010

I think it’s funny that Consecration is the top Session beer. At a whopping 10%, not many people other than BDR are going to be sessioning that stuff

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 19:56 Wed 1/27/2010

Originally posted by MatSciGuy
I think it’s funny that Consecration is the top Session beer. At a whopping 10%, not many people other than BDR are going to be sessioning that stuff

Yeah I’m not sure I agree with Sour Ales being placed on the Session list.

Soonah
beers 1120 º places 2 º 20:01 Wed 1/27/2010

The list doesn’t include quite enough Cigar City beers. I’m really disappointed that the triple canteloupe infused, cedar aged brown ale didn’t make the list. At least the double canteloupe infused, cedar aged squirrel shit brown ale did.