RateBeer Summer Gathering 2014: Proposals and Voting

Reads 8593 • Replies 100 • Started Monday, March 31, 2014 6:47:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 09:29 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Quick questions, is the Grand Tasting for St. Louis have a free version without the food or draft beer? I mean can I just share beer with other RBians as per typical Grand Tastings?

No. The Grand Tasting will be held upstairs at The Schlafly Tap Room. This venue is typically used for things like wedding receptions on Saturday nights in the summer, and the building is an incredible old brick-and-wood structure on the National Register of Historic Places.

The venue price comes with food for everyone. They’ll also be putting kegs from 18 local brewers on tap, and we don’t have to deal with any buying or legal issues regarding transporting kegs and putting them on. The best value would be to pay for the Grand Tasting as part of a package, where the first 80 buyers will also be reserving a special bottle.

This venue is also walking distance from the hotel.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:43 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
Quick questions, is the Grand Tasting for St. Louis have a free version without the food or draft beer? I mean can I just share beer with other RBians as per typical Grand Tastings?

No. The Grand Tasting will be held upstairs at The Schlafly Tap Room. This venue is typically used for things like wedding receptions on Saturday nights in the summer, and the building is an incredible old brick-and-wood structure on the National Register of Historic Places.

The venue price comes with food for everyone. They’ll also be putting kegs from 18 local brewers on tap, and we don’t have to deal with any buying or legal issues regarding transporting kegs and putting them on. The best value would be to pay for the Grand Tasting as part of a package, where the first 80 buyers will also be reserving a special bottle.

Not sure how you pulled it off, but that’s an unreal value for $50.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 09:52 Tue 4/1/2014

are we still allowed to bring our own beers to share?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:54 Tue 4/1/2014

Plenty of free bottle shares back at the hotel room at either gathering I’m sure. JMagnus may even cake you off with a few rhinelander shorties if you’re lucky.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 09:57 Tue 4/1/2014

are we still allowed to bring our own beers to share?

Yes, just like other Grand Tastings, it will be a huge bottle share. My last post was to clarify what else comes along with it, and why it can’t be free.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 09:59 Tue 4/1/2014

There are obviously some space/capacity limitations to the Grand Tasting, and while I think that everyone would love to just have a free for all, it’s not often possible. Particularly these days where every Tom, Dick, and Harry will show up to a bottle share, particularly if it is free.

I assume that the fee also includes overhead costs like cleaning, seating, insurance for the venue, staffing, etc. Also, this is a private room, so I assume that we would have to pay a fee regardless of whether or not there were any additional benefits involved.

From an event planning perspective, it is difficult to try to offer a variety of options which entail different privileges. It would probably also cause the price to be significantly higher.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:15 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by pepsican

Not sure how you pulled it off, but that’s an unreal value for $50.

Could add $12.99 or even $13.99 and it would still be a hell of a deal.

jcwattsrugger
beers 13456 º places 3 º 10:34 Tue 4/1/2014

Eugene/beastie-
You really know how to try to squeeze 2 nickels together. When I helped on the last 2 winter gatherings you asked about the same things. The GT was NOT free for either of them as your above post implies.

Hope to see you in StL as its closer for you than the RBWG you did make at least part of.

Keir
beers 183 º places 1 º 10:45 Tue 4/1/2014

We had to negotiate that price with one of the Schlafly owners and it covers everything. Whomever attends (if you haven’t been to Schlafy Tap Room AND if we win) is going to love the venue. Big room on the second floor, separate bathrooms, a balcony....

This was a lot of work over the past six months.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 10:50 Tue 4/1/2014

St. Louis price is crazy good for what you are getting.