RBSG 2012 Los Angeles info/updates

Reads 47352 • Replies 470 • Started Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:18:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 07:31 Wed 2/8/2012

Got an email from some extremely generous RS members that I mule for offering to send beers for the grand tasting. Will hopefully have a good selection of Berliner Weisses made in Florida, as well as some a good representation of the 7venth Sun lineup.

jhenry04
09:59 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
Got an email from some extremely generous RS members that I mule for offering to send beers for the grand tasting. Will hopefully have a good selection of Berliner Weisses made in Florida, as well as some a good representation of the 7venth Sun lineup.

Great news! Good work on the muling.

38Degrees
17:22 Wed 2/8/2012

Would love to help out!

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 17:27 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by 38Degrees
Would love to help out!

No one named Clay allowed. Actually, we’re planning a pub crawl for Friday through LA for those that get in town too late to be on the bus. I’d love to have some of the bigger name bars involved, or at least throwing an event in the name of RBSG. We’ll see how it works out with the specially made beers but if we end up with enough of some of them we’ll try to get some kegs distributed to the supporting bars. If you can slip out for a bit run over to Stuffed Sandwich this evening and we can talk about it. Otherwise send me an email or talk to Chris Q since I’ve been deferring to his judgement on the local bars.

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 17:29 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by 38Degrees
Would love to help out!
I am sure many would love to see 38* involved.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 23:45 Wed 2/8/2012

Originally posted by Reid
Originally posted by phaleslu
Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by phaleslu
Honestly, I’m still kind of pissed no other city got a heads up to put a proposal together.

Dude, RBSG has been discussed for nearly two months now. LA didn’t get any more or less of a "heads up" than anyone else-- people in LA just took initiative on their own to put a proposal together and start trying to make things happen. If any other city wanted to put in a bid, they have had at least the last 6-8 weeks to step forward with their interest and a reasonable proposal, but nobody really did much of anything.

Don’t hate on LA because of the general malaise from other cities and/or from the admins who didn’t organize things well.

Hope to see you in July!

I’m not hating on LA, nor do I think LA ’took the initiative’. I think they went around the usual process.

Where was the original thread? The only one I saw was around Christmas and had a full LA proposal right away. I thought in years past there was a thread where it got narrowed down to a few cities, then one later when those cities got those proposals together.

I saw nothing like this. This is what I saw: http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/rbsg-2012_188343.htm

Original post: 12/21. Halfway down page 2, t0rin0 says "It’s going to be in LA/OC" and goes on from there. The first post after that was someone saying, "put it together, it usually comes down to a vote." Then DalzAle, one of the guys who threw Minneapolis into the ring on the first page, backed off due to t0rin0’s post. Read on from there- this wasn’t the democratic process it normally is.

There was a group in STL ready to put one together but most of us were traveling over the holidays and missed this thread until LA was in the books, which was almost immediately. We know the local brewers pretty well, have friends in hotel companies, and could have put something very solid together. After seeing this, though, it seemed like there was no proposal to be made. LA was final.

If we’re going to do it in CA every year, or 3 of the last 5 anyway, then I guess there isn’t much conversation to be had. Makes more sense to me to do winter gatherings there since other places aren’t as attractive in those months. We could have offered an inexpensive, centrally-located city with a ton of close-together breweries, bars, and retailers that would open their doors for us.

Whether it won or not would have been up to everyone, but no one else had a chance.

I’m not pushing for 2013 at this point because I know Chicago has already been talking about it and I’m not going to try to step on their toes.

I am with you.
In the past i remember multiple offerings this year it was just LA fait accompli.
I was thinking about going..but nah i will be in Bend that month

have to say i agree as well. Ive got no vested interest in where it is, but normally i see much more, of Whos going to put proposals in etc.

much more disscusion of the options

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 00:31 Thu 2/9/2012

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Hey, thanks for all that. If you guys want to hate start a thread and try to get the admins to take charge of the event next year, or maybe put a proposal together. We’re trying to host the best possible gathering this year. You’re welcome to come out and join in on the fun but if you have no intention to do so please save it for another thread.

FrumptyDumpty
01:21 Thu 2/9/2012

Honestly I’m kinda pissed no other country got a heads up to put a proposal together.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 03:33 Thu 2/9/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Hey, thanks for all that. If you guys want to hate start a thread and try to get the admins to take charge of the event next year, or maybe put a proposal together. We’re trying to host the best possible gathering this year. You’re welcome to come out and join in on the fun but if you have no intention to do so please save it for another thread.

Im sure you’ll oraganise a great event, and it obviously to late to change now.

but having no vested interest in where it is (as im not gonna make it across the pond)

i think its important that lessons be learned, and this year it seemed to me there was a lot less discussion about options and who wanted to put proposals forward, than there has been in other years.

So i can see how some people might have legitimate concerns, and that should not just be ignored

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 03:33 Thu 2/9/2012

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Honestly I’m kinda pissed no other country got a heads up to put a proposal together.

RBESG is still up for grabs