RBSG 2012?

Reads 11387 • Replies 126 • Started Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:37:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 18:27 Mon 1/9/2012

Originally posted by bu11zeye
Originally posted by miketd

As a side note, didn’t I just read that Blue Palms is closing?

That is what I heard too, but someone mentioned it may only be temporary. Hope that is the case.

It’s a fluid situation right now. Last night was supposedly going to be the last day, and then it got extended to this coming Wednesday. Sounds grim if you put it in those simple terms, but the BP crew remains hopeful, and negotiations are ongoing to try to secure a lease in the current space. If not, the plan is to relocate within the immediate vicinity in a new space ASAP.

Who knows how long that may take, if it comes down to that, but I think there’s a good chance Blue Palms could be a destination for the RBSG. And if not, we’ll find worthy substitute.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 18:30 Mon 1/9/2012

Does the Bruery have AC yet? That place used to suck in the summer when it was over 100 degrees in the barrel room.

No AC in the brewery/tasting room, sorry. I’ll see if I can convince Patrick to set up a Hottenroth fueled misting system. On a more exciting note, he mentioned in an email this afternoon that they’ll be redoing the tasting room again and it should be done in time for RBSG. Not sure exactly how that will affect our visit, but so far they’ve only made it better.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 18:35 Mon 1/9/2012

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by miketd

As a side note, didn’t I just read that Blue Palms is closing?

That is what I heard too, but someone mentioned it may only be temporary. Hope that is the case.

It’s a fluid situation right now. Last night was supposedly going to be the last day, and then it got extended to this coming Wednesday. Sounds grim if you put it in those simple terms, but the BP crew remains hopeful, and negotiations are ongoing to try to secure a lease in the current space. If not, the plan is to relocate within the immediate vicinity in a new space ASAP.

Who knows how long that may take, if it comes down to that, but I think there’s a good chance Blue Palms could be a destination for the RBSG. And if not, we’ll find worthy substitute.

I hope it stays open, it is one of the only reasons to visit Hollywood. JK... kinda.

Sledutah
beers 11270 º places 952 º 18:52 Mon 1/9/2012

Sounds great, but I probably won’t be able to make it that weekend. The 20th is my wife’s birthday, she’s not a beer drinker. But there is shopping to give her something to do :)

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 18:59 Mon 1/9/2012

Originally posted by Sledutah
Sounds great, but I probably won’t be able to make it that weekend. The 20th is my wife’s birthday, she’s not a beer drinker. But there is shopping to give her something to do :)

If she’s up for a California vacation I’m sure you can find plenty of things to do, and even a few things she can do without you while you sneak out for a bit (10 hours) to join us on the bus tour. If nothing else the food at some of the restaurant stops is great (Blue Palms, Beachwood BBQ, and Pizza Port). Will your buddy be here as well to regale us of stories of your magical underwear?

kramer
19:00 Mon 1/9/2012

Those dates set in stone then if LA hosts?

Sledutah
beers 11270 º places 952 º 19:05 Mon 1/9/2012

haha, don’t know if he’ll make it or not.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 19:25 Mon 1/9/2012

Craig,

That was too much fun. And who could forget about the barrel aged bukake?

Jason,

90% chance of those dates as of this morning but now it’s looking more like 95%. Give me a week and we’ll have a 100% confirmation along with some estimates on hotels and buses. You think you’ll be able to make it?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 08:46 Tue 1/10/2012

As Bobby mentioned, the hotel and bus situation is something that will be figured out once:

A) We know for certain we will have the event here (looking more likely and more likely)
B) Dates are confirmed (looking like the weekend of 7/19-22 is going to be it)
C) We can give a reasonably accurate count to the hotels and bus companies to get a quote

If only a few people are going to be coming into town, then the hotels are not going to give us any sort of price break. But, if there are a decent number of people that will be booking rooms, then we can work to get a discounted block of rooms for all of you.

hophead84
09:08 Tue 1/10/2012

Originally posted by t0rin0
So after a lot of thought and emailing of brewers in the area here is what we have (still talking to one or two of these people about how many they can accomodate):

Thursday July 19 - Sunday July 22

Thursday July 19: Welcome party
-Tustin brewing. Dinner/appetizers, hopefully bottle sharing, house beers naturally (trying to get a keg of Bourbon OE on tap) plus some good guest beers.

Friday July 20: OC bus tour
-Bruery. Breakfast and beer.
-Bootlegger’s.
-Taps. Appetizers/light lunch and beer.
-Hi Time. Bottle shopping for out of towners, or anyone that wants to load up on AleSmith, Russian River, etc
-Pizza Port. Dinner and beer.
-After party: optional, location TBD, maybe at the hotel itself? Still discussing if this is a useful option. Opinions welcomed here in the thread.

Saturday July 21: LA bus tour + grand tasting
-Blue Palms. Breakfast and beer.
-Eagle Rock. Tour and tasting.
-Craftsman. Tour and tasting.
-Beachwood Brewing Longbeach. Dinner, beer, bottle sharing allowed, will have some local beers from places that we wont be stopping at on the tour.
-Grand Tasting at Bruery barrel warehouse. Will have self serve food available too.

Sunday July 22: Brunch
???, my original thought was Karl Strauss Costa Mesa, right next to John Wayne airport but we may go another route depending on what everyone wants to do. Suggestions/ideas welcomed.

So far we can expect either special beers or specially made RBSG beers from:

AleSmith
Beachwood
Bootlegger’s
Hangar 24
Ladyface
Taps

Still talking to Bruery and Craftsman about this as well, and I’ll say that it’s looking good. Stay tuned for updates. Some of the beers listed will be bottled and sold to those on the tour, and there will be a keg (or at least some growlers) at the grand tasting for anyone that cant make the tour.

Naturally, there will be commemorative glassware available for purchase.

There are a few logistics issues that I’d like to help the out of town visitors with but I’ll worry about that once I know that we have the bid. Over all I think this will be an amazing event and my goal (one of my goals) is to get a good percentage of non-locals involved to make this a slightly more global Ratebeer event.

So come to LA this year.

Looking forward to this.