RBSG 2016 Pittsburgh Proposal

Reads 2274 • Replies 38 • Started Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:49:44 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 08:49 Tue 2/2/2016

Not sure if any of you guys saw the thread started about the summer gathering, but I mentioned a Pittsburgh proposal, and several people surprisingly to me seemed interested. I think we finally have the quality and capacity to host one of these, so I hope all of you guys will support it being here and join on if I can make it happen.

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 09:04 Tue 2/2/2016

I’m in. Definitely will help generate a proposal.

HornyDevil
12:27 Tue 2/2/2016

In as well. Just tell me what you need me to do.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 14:36 Tue 2/2/2016

I’m willing to help out any way that I can either personally or professionally.

douglas88
admin
beers 13192 º places 398 º 14:50 Tue 2/2/2016

I’m in. And since I submitted 2015s successful proposal, I can help a lot perhaps.

cheap
beers 8822 º places 326 º 15:49 Tue 2/2/2016

I’m in - timidated.

mtoast
beers 336 º places 13 º 14:22 Wed 2/3/2016

In. Personally and professionally as well.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 12:00 Sat 2/6/2016

Hey Dan, any thoughts as to how you want to get this rolling? I’m not sure when proposal deadlines generally are, but even if we can flesh out a rough outline of what we think people visiting should come to see I think that would help to know who we need to start talking to.

I met with the PA Brew Tours folks last night and I would guess we could work something out with them to provide transportation if we knew an itinerary of stops. The bus sat about 32 I believe, although you loose a couple seats for bus beer. I believe they have one that is slightly larger (around 40) but I didn’t confirm that.

When I did the RBWG in Jacksonville a few years ago, what I basically remember was Thursday arrival, informal hotel bottle shares, free time with suggested bottle shops or breweries that weren’t going to be on the bus tour. Friday was a full day bus tour. Saturday was the grand tasting. I had a great time and think that’s a decent format to start with and modify as needed.

User52877
places 3 º 21:42 Sat 2/6/2016

Not sure what I can do but I’m in!

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 13:25 Sun 2/7/2016

Originally posted by lithy
Hey Dan, any thoughts as to how you want to get this rolling? I’m not sure when proposal deadlines generally are, but even if we can flesh out a rough outline of what we think people visiting should come to see I think that would help to know who we need to start talking to.

I met with the PA Brew Tours folks last night and I would guess we could work something out with them to provide transportation if we knew an itinerary of stops. The bus sat about 32 I believe, although you loose a couple seats for bus beer. I believe they have one that is slightly larger (around 40) but I didn’t confirm that.

When I did the RBWG in Jacksonville a few years ago, what I basically remember was Thursday arrival, informal hotel bottle shares, free time with suggested bottle shops or breweries that weren’t going to be on the bus tour. Friday was a full day bus tour. Saturday was the grand tasting. I had a great time and think that’s a decent format to start with and modify as needed.

That setup is pretty much the same as the Philly one I went to. I’m off tomorrow, so I’ll try to take some time and put together a rough idea of places to go.

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 19:58 Mon 2/8/2016

So the breweries that I think would appeal most to the general RB population would be Brew Gentlemen, Insurrection, Voodoo, Draai Laag, and Roundabout. Then possibly grist house because it’s so close to Draai laag, and Church for the atmosphere and good dinner option. As far as where to have the grand tasting/have people stay,I’m thinking Oakland or downtown are the best options because their pretty close to a lot of the good beer bars and from town, it wouldn’t be too crazy for peoplease to get to hitchhiker or spoonwood if they wanted to. I know alot of times they do a send off Sunday brunch too, which I think pipers would be a good place and I’m sure Hart would be down for that. I would think I could get the guys at house to do something cool, but that’s just so far put of the way, I don’t know if it’s doable. I think caliente could be a suggested bar not part of the tour, and I’m sure I could still talk to nick about putting an awesome taplist together.

What do you guys think about that as a starting discussion?