Reclaiming historic structures--as breweries & pubs

Reads 2788 • Replies 29 • Started Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:57:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 16:38 Thu 4/14/2016

Aardwolf is in a cool old building and I think they got an award or some sort of recognition from the city or elsewhere for what they did.

Wrecking Bar in the Atlanta area is in a super badass building.

Georgia Beer Company, the brewery opening eventually in Valdosta, is planning to use a cool old building that is abandoned. I heard that the city told them if they pay to renovate it (and thus help the current revitalization of downtown), they can have the building for free.

blipp
beers 12079 º places 219 º 16:39 Thu 4/14/2016

In California they just put breweries in unused warehouses.

ClarkVV
beers 8565 º places 105 º 00:22 Fri 4/15/2016

Atwater’s second location in Grosse Pointe Park (right North of Detroit) is also in a church. The brewhouse is right on the altar and has a big stained glass window behind it with the brew kettle steam vent rising up in front of it. Pretty striking looking.

AirForceHops
beers 11003 º places 211 º 13:44 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by Reynolds314
Willimantic Brewing Company in CT is a cool old post office building. Its got a bit of a tacky "flare" based decor inside but its a really cool space for a brew pub.

http://www.willimanticbrewingcompany.com/take-a-look/

It really is a great building. Now if the brewer could get some more inspiration, they really would be in business.
The best beer I had on draft on my visit was from a guest tap. Not being negative, just my experience the one and only time I was there.

Travlr
beers 30304 º places 3522 º 14:09 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by AirForceHops
Originally posted by Reynolds314
Willimantic Brewing Company in CT is a cool old post office building. Its got a bit of a tacky "flare" based decor inside but its a really cool space for a brew pub.

http://www.willimanticbrewingcompany.com/take-a-look/

It really is a great building. Now if the brewer could get some more inspiration, they really would be in business.
The best beer I had on draft on my visit was from a guest tap. Not being negative, just my experience the one and only time I was there.

building is definitely cool. the beers were not nearly as good on my last visit (a year ago) than on previous visits.

wchesser
beers 2427 º places 44 º 14:09 Fri 4/15/2016

I am fairly dismayed that no one has taken over the old Olympia Brewing brewery on the Tumwater River in Olympia and that it’s just sitting dormant. Its an incredible location.

jimmack
beers 1223 º places 24 º 14:14 Fri 4/15/2016

Battlefield Brew Works in Gettysburg, Pa is located in a barn built in 1848 and was used as a Confederate field hospital during the battle. Really cool place with lots of history, unfortunately the beers we tried that day were near undrinkable. Worth stopping just for the location.

http://battlefieldbrewworks.com/?age-verified=e591127f56#

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 14:16 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by wchesser
I am fairly dismayed that no one has taken over the old Olympia Brewing brewery on the Tumwater River in Olympia and that it’s just sitting dormant. Its an incredible location.

Don’t give up hope! This plan did not meet its target for opening, but there was something on the radio in the last week or two about reviving the space. It might have been these guys.

Almost forgot the coolest one (among many) in Seattle: The Pine Box. It’s the chapel of a former funeral home, and for even further punniness, its address is on Pine Street. Bruce Lee’s memorial service was held in that very room. When my dad was in college, he made extra folding money singing at services there. Now they have rad kegs and good food.

beastiefan2k
beers 4705 º places 276 º 14:47 Fri 4/15/2016

Originally posted by jimmack
used as a Confederate field hospital
unfortunately the beers we tried that day were near undrinkable.

makes sense

slowrunner77
beers 17772 º places 500 º 14:51 Fri 4/15/2016

The two nicest breweries in Reno are a repurposed ice packing plant (Brasserie Saint James) and an old railroad depot (The Depot).
Solid beer and food at both places, too!