Rolling Rock Bottles Are No Longer Painted

Reads 7513 • Replies 23 • Started Friday, April 3, 2015 5:36:59 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:36 Fri 4/3/2015

Well, I may be late to this party since I haven’t had Rolling Rock in a little while (Though I think I had them no more than a year ago and at that time they were still painted), but it looks like AB-Inbev has nixed Rolling Rock’s iconic painted bottles. Instead, they are using clear sticker labels.

On the plus side, I got 18 of these suckers for $10 or $11, at a time when many of the craft beers are creeping up over $10 a 6-pack (Don’t judge me, I’m poor. ;) ).

Still, this is a little weird. Rolling Rock with a sticker label.

On the plus side, it does have a dating code of sorts on one of the stickers now (Not a clear bottled on or freshest by date, alas, but it appears to be the last two numbers of the year, followed by the the day- i.e. "15077" (77th day of 2015 is how I’m interpreting that). They couldn’t really do that when they painted them (12 or 18 packs or whatever used to have a date on the cardboard, however).

But they’ve sure changed this brand. It’s no longer brewed in glass lined tanks, it’s no longer brewed with Latrobe water, it’s no longer brewed in Latrobe or in the state of Pennsylvania, the ingredient list online now lists rice OR corn (Whatever is cheaper at any given time, I guess?) instead of the traditional recipe which was always said to include both in every bottle, and now the painted bottles are gone in favor of sticker labels.

Come to think of it, didn’t these used to have a white picket fence on them, too?

At least it still has the horse and the number 33.

But why buy the brand if you’ve going to slowly turn it into a clone of what you already brew? What’s the point?

Seeing this, I’d be worried if I were a Goose Island or an Elysium fan. Well, that and the Super Bowl commercial.

I know Rolling Rock isn’t a craft brand, but it did have certain attributes that people liked about it that have changed over time to become closer to the other Budweiser brands. In fact, these stickers are highly reminiscent of what they do with Landshark Lager, which is partly owned by AB-Inbev, and manufactured by said company, instead of painting their bottles like Corona.

Homer321
beers 5358 º places 54 º 17:41 Fri 4/3/2015

pics?

brokensail
beers 16800 º places 1405 º 17:45 Fri 4/3/2015

The times, they are a changing.

Never got into Rolling Rock myself...at least not after I drank enough of them one night in high school to make myself puke.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:47 Fri 4/3/2015

Originally posted by Homer321
pics?

Free standing sticker I peeled off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlkm34kj3rzm33f/2015-04-03%2018.44.05.jpg?dl=0

Front of the bottle after the sticker was removed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8o1prq50ekp9zu/2015-04-03%2018.44.35.jpg?dl=0

Front of the bottle with sticker still on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0h5ql6ylrvw3jl5/2015-04-03%2018.43.07.jpg?dl=0

Back of the bottle:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rusyliqmybp9wx/2015-04-03%2018.43.14.jpg?dl=0

The back label and neck logo are also both stickers. I could peel them off also to demonstrate if anyone wants me to.

Homer321
beers 5358 º places 54 º 17:49 Fri 4/3/2015

CCC, do you even imgur or wat?

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:58 Fri 4/3/2015

Don’t have an account with imgur. Is there an advantage to them versus Dropbox? This forum doesn’t allow people to embed pictures from anywhere, does it? I know some places you can embed an imgur pic right in the thread and dropbox you can only link to the photo, but I think the way this forum software is, I’d just have to link to imgur the same way I’m linking to dropbox anyway, right?

If anyone wants to put them on imgur and put a link here for people who don’t want to click on a dropbox link for whatever reason, that’s fine with me. It’s just my hand holding up stickers and beer bottles against a white wall.

SpringsLicker
beers 3909 º places 158 º 18:02 Fri 4/3/2015

Other breweries are following suit. Plastic peel offs are replacing a lot of paper labels as well. Southern Tier comes to mind, lots of others.

Christos
beers 6092 º places 110 º 18:33 Fri 4/3/2015

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab

Don’t have an account with imgur. Is there an advantage to them versus Dropbox? This forum doesn’t allow people to embed pictures from anywhere, does it? I know some places you can embed an imgur pic right in the thread and dropbox you can only link to the photo, but I think the way this forum software is, I’d just have to link to imgur the same way I’m linking to dropbox anyway, right?

If anyone wants to put them on imgur and put a link here for people who don’t want to click on a dropbox link for whatever reason, that’s fine with me. It’s just my hand holding up stickers and beer bottles against a white wall.

No pictures posted from imgur show up in the thread nowadays.

Frank
beers 4432 º places 92 º 18:35 Fri 4/3/2015

You can post pics on the forums w/ Imgur is the main advantage.

I noticed the sticker labesl on Rolling Rock a while back. I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me but the taste of Rolling Rock actually changed for the worse when they moved where they brewed it.

sloth
beers 3199 º places 93 º 18:59 Fri 4/3/2015

Originally posted by Frank
I wouldn’t have believed you if you told me but the taste of Rolling Rock actually changed for the worse when they moved where they brewed it.

You sayin AB fuked it up or am i reading you wrong?

dmac
beers 6645 º places 35 º 19:08 Fri 4/3/2015

Sorry I didn’t read all the long responses so not sure iif this was covered yet. Years ago, like 15+, my buddy was setting up a fish tank. I suggested using a few RR bottles as decorations because of the painted label. Well over time the painted labels stsrted breaking down and started to peel off the bottle. Wouldn’t have been a big deal if the dissolved paint in the water didn’t kill all his fish. Oops!!!