Say it aint so: Craft beer distributors support Prohibition

Reads 18099 • Replies 86 • Started Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:25:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 16:42 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by ratman197
Alcohol and nicotine are drugs as well. And I see no reason scientific or otherwise that marijuana is any more harmful than alcohol or tobacco. I personally consider todays marijuana laws to be prohabition and can’t see how it would interfer with beer sales, heck it might help increase them.
Cudos to Stone and Sierra Nevada for stating their position.
Originally posted by bhops
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug? Drugs and beer are not necessarily chemically equivalent (esp depending on the drug) and not morally equivalent under the law. Plus, there are legitimate business reasons to oppose legalization of drugs in this instance.

I can understand a brewery’s desire to remain neutral but I also understand that they might have contributed to the California Beer & Beverage Distributors for other business reasons and not specifically in support of their stance on prop 19.

I give politically but that doesn’t mean that I support every position taken by the recipient of my donation. Plus, this is complicated by business relationships.

I definitely appreciate their opinions. But I would not fault a brewery that came out either way on this issue.

Alcohol is good and salubrious for you in certain quantities. It actually increases the health of a naturally healthy person. Most addictive drugs have many negative side effects. Smoking pot causes lung cancer, does it not?

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 16:45 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by kryptic
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug?

Because if they were both pro-drug and anti-drug at the same time, the fabric of the universe might tear apart.

Plus, as much as I love beer, any sane person can agree that cannabis is MUCH less harmful, in every respect, than alcohol is. How could one be pro-alcohol and anti-cannabis at the same time without being one of the biggest hypocritical morans ever?
responsible use of alcohol is not more harmful than cannibis use. I rarely drink to get drunk. I enjoy the taste. The point of cannibis is to get high.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 16:48 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by kryptic
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug?

Because if they were both pro-drug and anti-drug at the same time, the fabric of the universe might tear apart.

Plus, as much as I love beer, any sane person can agree that cannabis is MUCH less harmful, in every respect, than alcohol is. How could one be pro-alcohol and anti-cannabis at the same time without being one of the biggest hypocritical morans ever?
responsible use of alcohol is not more harmful than cannibis use. I rarely drink to get drunk. I enjoy the taste. The point of cannibis is to get high.

I love the smell and taste of weed, but hate the buzz. Go figure.

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 16:52 Mon 9/20/2010

Should use of cannabis become legal I doubt it would hurt craft beer consumption, I think it would work to the advantage of craft beer brewers. Anyone that doesn’t think cannabis can impart some interesting aromas and flavors into beer is too closed minded to work in todays beer industry (I don’t necessarily agree with what I just wrote but it sounded good, I respect every brewer that goes by Bavarian Purity Laws). Legalizing marijuana for recreational purposes could create an entirely new catagory of beer; imagine your local brewer creating a batch of sour diesel dry hopped IIPA, you know that even if the beer sucked it would be a huge seller at the brew pub (it would be WAY too delicate to bottle).

palealebill
16:54 Mon 9/20/2010

But aren’t you still giving money to the CBBD? If you want to truly remove yourselves from this, wouldn’t the best way be to find another distributor? Just playing devil’s advocate.

The CBBD isn’t a distributor. There a trade group representing distributors.

We’re debating what to do long-term, with CBBD. For now we’re keeping distance and looking to see what happens.

The CBBD claims:
- CBBD does not have a position on the legalization of marijuana – that is for the voters to decide.

- CBBD’s opposition to Prop 19 is NOT based on marijuana being a competitive product in the marketplace.

- CBBD is concerned for workplace safety - A nondiscrimination clause would prevent employers from firing or disciplining workers who used marijuana unless an employer could prove that job performance was impaired. We do not want intoxicated forklift drivers trying to maneuver through the warehouse and endangering other employees. Pre-employment testing would be banned. Conflicts with federal law abound. For example, the feds require operators of planes, trains, trucks and buses to be removed from their jobs if they test positive for any narcotic.

- CBBD is concerned for public safety - CBBD joins with the business community and the California Chamber of Commerce in opposing Prop 19 because of public safety concerns associated with intoxicated drivers of business vehicles out on California roads and endangering Californians. Prop 19 will not allow employers to drug test their employees for marijuana use. This would allow California beer distributors’ drivers to operate hundreds of big rig trucks and trailers, sales vehicles and trucks on California highways everyday and exposing the motoring public to potential harm. It is also CBBD’s concern that with the doing away with drug testing of employees, our transportation businesses may be unable to find liability insurance to insure our companies.

- CBBD believes Prop 19 is poorly written and lacks a regulatory structure – Prop 19 contains no state controls over product standards or sale and distribution. The proposition contains no system or direction for tax collection. Prop 19 allows the 58 counties and hundreds of cities to come up with their own taxation and regulatory schemes. In this critical element of legalization, Prop 19 is geared toward a chaotic approach rather than the time tested state taxed-and-regulated treatment of alcohol.

Sierra Nevada doesn’t want anyone--business associate or other--speaking on our behalf regardless of the politics. We prefer to let our beer do the talking. We believe people can make up their own minds about an issue without consulting their local brewery. If someone wants to know something about our beer, we’ll gladly express our opinion. Outside of that, who cares what we have to say on issues of the day. leave the punditry to the pundits. At the end of the day, what happens in a voter’s booth is completely up to a voter. We like it that way.

Cheers!

-Bill

Cletus
beers 6351 º places 233 º 16:58 Mon 9/20/2010

The only stench worse than pot smoke s cigarette smoke. If it is legalized, I hope it will only be for home consumption. It would suck to see stoner morans infiltrating places like cigar lounges and outdoor seating areas for bars.

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 16:59 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by Cletus
The only stench worse than pot smoke s cigarette smoke. If it is legalized, I hope it will only be for home consumption. It would suck to see stoner morans infiltrating places like cigar lounges and outdoor seating areas for bars.
Cletus’ Cigar and Brownie Bar

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 17:02 Mon 9/20/2010

Find me one documented case and I’ll send you a nice box of beer. I can provide several reputable medical studies that state otherwise. I won’t say smoking pot does no harm to your respiratory system (COPD is a common side effect to the long term smoking of marijuana in large amounts) but the damage done isn’t nearly as bad as what happens to people that smoke tobacco. To be honest eating/drinking or vaporizing marijuana eliminates 99.9% of the cancer/COPD effects of marijuana use.

I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

Alcohol and nicotine are drugs as well. And I see no reason scientific or otherwise that marijuana is any more harmful than alcohol or tobacco. I personally consider todays marijuana laws to be prohabition and can’t see how it would interfer with beer sales, heck it might help increase them.
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug? Drugs and beer are not necessarily chemically equivalent (esp depending on the drug) and not morally equivalent under the law. Plus, there are legitimate business reasons to oppose legalization of drugs in this instance.

I can understand a brewery’s desire to remain neutral but I also understand that they might have contributed to the California Beer & Beverage Distributors for other business reasons and not specifically in support of their stance on prop 19.

I give politically but that doesn’t mean that I support every position taken by the recipient of my donation. Plus, this is complicated by business relationships.

I definitely appreciate their opinions. But I would not fault a brewery that came out either way on this issue.

Alcohol is good and salubrious for you in certain quantities. It actually increases the health of a naturally healthy person. Most addictive drugs have many negative side effects. Smoking pot causes lung cancer, does it not?

Cletus
beers 6351 º places 233 º 17:06 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by dankman38I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

Anyone who abuses alcohol, or smokes too much pot is an idiot I don’t want anything to do with.

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 17:08 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by dankman38
Find me one documented case and I’ll send you a nice box of beer. I can provide several reputable medical studies that state otherwise. I won’t say smoking pot does no harm to your respiratory system (COPD is a common side effect to the long term smoking of marijuana in large amounts) but the damage done isn’t nearly as bad as what happens to people that smoke tobacco. To be honest eating/drinking or vaporizing marijuana eliminates 99.9% of the cancer/COPD effects of marijuana use.

I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

well, my point was that pot, even in small quantities, is not "good" for you, whereas alcohol is good for you in appropriate quantities.

But cannabis does contain known carcinogens, so basically what you are doing is reverting back to the pre-tobacco litigation stance of the tobacco companies that claim happy ignorance on the long term health consequences of tobacco on the lungs.

Talk about strange bedfellows (as Joet mentioned earlier)...