Say it aint so: Craft beer distributors support Prohibition

Reads 18092 • Replies 86 • Started Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:25:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kryptic
17:10 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by dankman38I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

Anyone who abuses alcohol, or smokes too much pot is an idiot I don’t want anything to do with.

Most people on this site "abuse alcohol" at times, so you may want to find another site to hang out on.

Cletus
beers 6351 º places 233 º 17:12 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by kryptic
Originally posted by dankman38I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

Anyone who abuses alcohol, or smokes too much pot is an idiot I don’t want anything to do with.

Most people on this site "abuse alcohol" at times, so you may want to find another site to hang out on.

I think you know what I’m talking about here. I’m not talking about the guy who gets stoned on the weekend or overdoes it at a tasting.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 17:12 Mon 9/20/2010

You don’t know anyone that abuses alcohol? I sure do, and many of them I met here at RB. I’ve been know to have a few to many once in a while, but maybe your idea of "abuse" is different than mine.

bhops
beers 433 º places 37 º 17:13 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by kryptic

I think you know what I’m talking about here. I’m not talking about the guy who gets stoned on the weekend or overdoes it at a tasting.
I only overdo it at a tasting 50% of the time.

Cletus
beers 6351 º places 233 º 17:15 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by miketd

You don’t know anyone that abuses alcohol? I sure do, and many of them I met here at RB. I’ve been know to have a few to many once in a while, but maybe your idea of "abuse" is different than mine.

I was talking about the types who can’t hold down a job or wake up without an eye opener every day, so I guess so.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 17:43 Mon 9/20/2010

The CCBD’s reasoning on this is pretty lame. Just because they can’t drug test, their drivers are all going to come to work stoned? How would the policy for coming to work under the influence of marijuana be any different than drinking on the job? We don’t test employees for alcohol, do we? This is a thinly veiled attempt to protect their business economically by eliminating potential competition.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 17:54 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by SamGamgee
The CCBD’s reasoning on this is pretty lame. Just because they can’t drug test, their drivers are all going to come to work stoned? How would the policy for coming to work under the influence of marijuana be any different than drinking on the job? We don’t test employees for alcohol, do we? This is a thinly veiled attempt to protect their business economically by eliminating potential competition.

Why can’t they drug test? That seems weird. Most places around here have zero tolerance with drivers in regard to alcohol and drugs... for good reason.

I think that is one argument against legalizing weed as is difficult to test a driver suspected of being under the influence.

I don’t really have a side here, but a company should be able to know if their employees are drinking or smoking pot on the job.

mowz
18:07 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by palealebill

The CBBD isn’t a distributor. There a trade group representing distributors.

We’re debating what to do long-term, with CBBD. For now we’re keeping distance and looking to see what happens.

The CBBD claims:
- CBBD does not have a position on the legalization of marijuana – that is for the voters to decide.

But by donating $10,000 to a group opposing Prop 19, the CBBD has already taken a position. And your statements that I have quoted strongly suggest that the CBBD has already taken a position.

- CBBD is concerned for workplace safety - A nondiscrimination clause would prevent employers from firing or disciplining workers who used marijuana unless an employer could prove that job performance was impaired. We do not want intoxicated forklift drivers trying to maneuver through the warehouse and endangering other employees. Pre-employment testing would be banned. Conflicts with federal law abound. For example, the feds require operators of planes, trains, trucks and buses to be removed from their jobs if they test positive for any narcotic.

- CBBD is concerned for public safety - CBBD joins with the business community and the California Chamber of Commerce in opposing Prop 19 because of public safety concerns associated with intoxicated drivers of business vehicles out on California roads and endangering Californians. Prop 19 will not allow employers to drug test their employees for marijuana use. This would allow California beer distributors’ drivers to operate hundreds of big rig trucks and trailers, sales vehicles and trucks on California highways everyday and exposing the motoring public to potential harm. It is also CBBD’s concern that with the doing away with drug testing of employees, our transportation businesses may be unable to find liability insurance to insure our companies.

But Prop 19 allows an employer to address, with employees, the use of marijuana as it affects job performance just like the consumption of alcohol is left up to employers to address with employees.

Sierra Nevada doesn’t want anyone--business associate or other--speaking on our behalf regardless of the politics. We prefer to let our beer do the talking. We believe people can make up their own minds about an issue without consulting their local brewery. If someone wants to know something about our beer, we’ll gladly express our opinion. Outside of that, who cares what we have to say on issues of the day. leave the punditry to the pundits. At the end of the day, what happens in a voter’s booth is completely up to a voter. We like it that way.

Cheers!

-Bill

I’d be interested to see what, if any, opinions your distributor (if represented by the CBBD) may have regarding this issue. Since the CBBD is apparently contributing to a group that opposes Prop 19, what stance does your distributor have and will the distributor be pressured to oppose Prop 19 as well? If so, how will that affect the breweries they (the distributors) distribute for?

mowz
18:35 Mon 9/20/2010

I meant to say "I’d be interested in seeing what . . ."

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 18:38 Mon 9/20/2010

Originally posted by miketd
Originally posted by SamGamgee

Why can’t they drug test? That seems weird. Most places around here have zero tolerance with drivers in regard to alcohol and drugs... for good reason.

I think that is one argument against legalizing weed as is difficult to test a driver suspected of being under the influence.

I don’t really have a side here, but a company should be able to know if their employees are drinking or smoking pot on the job.

It seems like employers should be able to test employees suspected of coming to work under the influence, but I’m just quoting the CCBD position that SN gave us.