Say it aint so: Craft beer distributors support Prohibition

Reads 18089 • Replies 86 • Started Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:25:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 09:53 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by dankman38I won’t be the douche that tells you that there are no negative effects but I think a hard core stoner is more reliable than a hard core drunk any day.

Anyone who abuses alcohol, or smokes too much pot is an idiot I don’t want anything to do with.

Excellent points. The idea of ’legal’ alcohol or ’legal’ pot both ignore the importance of human character in making personal choices that are relatively sane, or veering towards destructive.

I spent a few recent trips in Montreal mostly drinking beer, just to try as many new ones as I could enjoy without feeling exhausted. Is this not damaging behavior? I am aware that it is. I choose when to do it, how to look after myself while doing it, and moreover it is not something I usually do. There has to be an awareness.

Perhaps getting baked on a camping trip every so often would be the pot equivalent of that.

JK
beers 7218 º places 442 º 10:13 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by errantnight
Originally posted by JK
Strange you want to talk about social responsibility, but then pissed when part of the industry says they do not endorse the use of illegal drugs. If anything is irresponsible, it seems like it is Ratebeer’s endorsement of legalized marijuana, particularly when presented in a hedonistic, everyone should be free do what they want (only if we are talking about drugs) manner.

You’re implying that there is a justification for marijuana’s illegal status. And that justification is... that it’s already illegal. That’s some circular logic for you.

No I’m not.

Merely that you want drugs to be legal is not a basis for Ratebeer to come and say, "smoke up!"

otakuden
beers 1783 º 10:21 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by palealebill
~snip~
Sierra Nevada doesn’t want anyone--business associate or other--speaking on our behalf regardless of the politics. We prefer to let our beer do the talking. We believe people can make up their own minds about an issue without consulting their local brewery. If someone wants to know something about our beer, we’ll gladly express our opinion. Outside of that, who cares what we have to say on issues of the day. leave the punditry to the pundits. At the end of the day, what happens in a voter’s booth is completely up to a voter. We like it that way.

Cheers!

-Bill

word! and good beers they are and goodness knows i enjoy partaking of them

errantnight
11:38 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by errantnight
Originally posted by JK
Strange you want to talk about social responsibility, but then pissed when part of the industry says they do not endorse the use of illegal drugs. If anything is irresponsible, it seems like it is Ratebeer’s endorsement of legalized marijuana, particularly when presented in a hedonistic, everyone should be free do what they want (only if we are talking about drugs) manner.

You’re implying that there is a justification for marijuana’s illegal status. And that justification is... that it’s already illegal. That’s some circular logic for you.

No I’m not.

Merely that you want drugs to be legal is not a basis for Ratebeer to come and say, "smoke up!"

Of course it isn’t, but that’s not what you said. Nor is it what Joe T said.

mowz
15:50 Tue 9/21/2010

Wow. This topic made it onto BoingBoing.com.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/09/21/beer-distributors-op.html

Ratman197
beers 23222 º places 200 º 17:36 Tue 9/21/2010

Only with heavy use. Heavy use of alcohol causes Psirociisos (probably spelled wrong)of the liver.

Originally posted by bhops
Originally posted by ratman197
Alcohol and nicotine are drugs as well. And I see no reason scientific or otherwise that marijuana is any more harmful than alcohol or tobacco. I personally consider todays marijuana laws to be prohabition and can’t see how it would interfer with beer sales, heck it might help increase them.
Cudos to Stone and Sierra Nevada for stating their position.
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug? Drugs and beer are not necessarily chemically equivalent (esp depending on the drug) and not morally equivalent under the law. Plus, there are legitimate business reasons to oppose legalization of drugs in this instance.

I can understand a brewery’s desire to remain neutral but I also understand that they might have contributed to the California Beer & Beverage Distributors for other business reasons and not specifically in support of their stance on prop 19.

I give politically but that doesn’t mean that I support every position taken by the recipient of my donation. Plus, this is complicated by business relationships.

I definitely appreciate their opinions. But I would not fault a brewery that came out either way on this issue.

Alcohol is good and salubrious for you in certain quantities. It actually increases the health of a naturally healthy person. Most addictive drugs have many negative side effects. Smoking pot causes lung cancer, does it not?

DYCSoccer17
beers 3745 º places 343 º 20:56 Tue 9/21/2010

Only with heavy use. Heavy use of alcohol causes Psirociisos (probably spelled wrong)of the liver.
Alcohol and nicotine are drugs as well. And I see no reason scientific or otherwise that marijuana is any more harmful than alcohol or tobacco. I personally consider todays marijuana laws to be prohabition and can’t see how it would interfer with beer sales, heck it might help increase them.
Cudos to Stone and Sierra Nevada for stating their position.
why can’t a brewery choose to be pro-beer and anti-drug? Drugs and beer are not necessarily chemically equivalent (esp depending on the drug) and not morally equivalent under the law. Plus, there are legitimate business reasons to oppose legalization of drugs in this instance.

I can understand a brewery’s desire to remain neutral but I also understand that they might have contributed to the California Beer & Beverage Distributors for other business reasons and not specifically in support of their stance on prop 19.

I give politically but that doesn’t mean that I support every position taken by the recipient of my donation. Plus, this is complicated by business relationships.

I definitely appreciate their opinions. But I would not fault a brewery that came out either way on this issue.

Alcohol is good and salubrious for you in certain quantities. It actually increases the health of a naturally healthy person. Most addictive drugs have many negative side effects. Smoking pot causes lung cancer, does it not?

Cirrhosis. Lots of other things cause Cirrhosis, too.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:04 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by JK
No I’m not.

Where others see JK nonsense, I see a tee shirt idea.

JK
beers 7218 º places 442 º 21:56 Tue 9/21/2010

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by JK
No I’m not.

Where others see JK nonsense, I see a tee shirt idea.

No nonsense, Joe. You are the guy here, and I think it is socially irresponsible to even appear to endorse an illegal activity.

mowz
04:55 Wed 9/22/2010

Originally posted by JK
I think it is socially irresponsible to even appear to endorse an illegal activity.

So you would have been a staunch supporter of prohibition in the 20’s, but then would have found no problem with it once it was repealed in ’33?

By this logic, you’re opposed to the use of marijuana now, but once California (and probably other states that would follow suit) makes it legal, you’d be in support of this former illegal drug?