Secondary fermentation ?

Reads 3663 • Replies 17 • Started Saturday, August 15, 2015 7:27:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ekstedt
beers 8338 º places 428 º 13:43 Sun 8/16/2015

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Whether or not racking is effective can largely be due to method.

Then please present such a method where racking would lead to better clarity compared to not racking, and motivate why that is the case. I will bring some popcorn.

Senormac
beers 16 º places 2 º 16:49 Sun 8/16/2015

Thx for the replies. I think I’m going to try it just so I can have the experience of it. Sounds like the effects are debatable. As for reusing the yeast cake..... is that the same thing as the trube...troob....trewb ?? I have not saved my yeast yet. A new packet comes in each kit. It’s safale us 05

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 17:46 Sun 8/16/2015

Originally posted by Senormac
Thx for the replies. I think I’m going to try it just so I can have the experience of it. Sounds like the effects are debatable. As for reusing the yeast cake..... is that the same thing as the trube...troob....trewb ?? I have not saved my yeast yet. A new packet comes in each kit. It’s safale us 05

The trub is different from the yeast cake, but they might be together. Pure yeast cake is creamy-ivory colored. The trub is dark. It can contain hot and or cold break, hop particulate,
I recommend an auto-siphon. They come in 2 sizes, the smaller one is a bit slower but won’t stir up as much. Attach tubing to the auto-siphon and put a racking cane on the other end. Be sure to use clamps on your tubing so that air can’t get sucked in to the line. About 2 days before you plan to rack to secondary, tip the carboy a bit to one side so that the yeast begins settling towards one side of the bottom. I put mine on small strip of wood about an inch thick, but you get the idea. When you rack, carefully tip the carboy to the side opposite where the yeast is settling. Begin your siphon 1/3 of the way into the carboy. . If a gas bubble appears in the tubing while you are racking, pinch the tubing just above the bubble and it will ride out of the line. Slowly lower the siphon lowering it carefully into the bottom. You will get some yeast siphoned up but don’t worry.When you see the sludge begin to get picked up into the siphon, just pull it up to stop the siphoning and the sludge will run back.

skinnyguy
10:26 Mon 8/17/2015

Originally posted by Senormac

Before I had kegs, I racked to secondary because I often got lazy or swamped and bottling would get pushed out. If the beer was no longer in a bucket I was less worried. Getting the beer off the cake can be beneficial depending on the style, yeast, temp, etc. The more stressful the conditions during primary (high ABV, higher temps, second or more use of cake, etc.) the more beneficial it can be to separate the beer from the cake. Certainly not a rush still, but if you are going to be leaving it for a while and the conditions won’t be ideal, transferring can be a good idea. If you are going to be bottling right away, those factors don’t matter.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 08:55 Tue 8/18/2015

I will add one last thing. You mentioned Safale US 05. I have used that yeast many times.
One thing I have noticed is that it tends to stay in suspension in primary FOREVER without dropping out. I’ve tried 1 week, 1 1/2 weeks. 2 weeks, it just doesn’t drop out like 1056 or 001.
However, racking it seems to make it drop. Rack it when it seems like most fermentation has finished - it’s fast under the right circumstances, it can be ready to go to secondary in 5 days at 65 degrees. I think you’ll find that in secondary your beer will be much clearer. Another aspect I’ve noticed is that it’s a much calmer yeast. Much less need for a blow-off tube.
I went back to it when it came out after culturing liquid yeasts of that strain for years.

Senormac
beers 16 º places 2 º 18:28 Tue 8/18/2015

Cool. Thx again for all the input and ideas. I’m going to rack to a secondary in a week just for the experience. It’s bubbling away like a madman right now.....heh heh heh heh heh......

ekstedt
beers 8338 º places 428 º 02:18 Wed 8/19/2015

Me too have used US-05 several times. In about 50 % of the cases I did rack so that I could use the yeast cake for another batch. There were absolutely no differences in clarity whatsoever. Starting to use Protafloc and a copper spiral chiller on the other hand did improve beer clarity.

However, such anecdotal evidence is pretty weak for several reasons, confirmation bias, lack of control (changing more than one parameter at once) etc.

The difference is that there are well known mechanism to explain why protafloc and faster wort chilling may improve clarity. For racking, such an explanation has not been presented to my knowledge.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer