Shoutout local favorites!

Reads 1215 • Replies 11 • Started Friday, January 20, 2017 10:36:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 10:36 Fri 1/20/2017

Hey RB! This is perhaps in the same vein as the "most rated styles" thread.
Would anyone care to mention a few of their favorite examples from several styles made in their home state? Base it on your ratings archive if you like or just your current leanings.
Here are mine in order of most rated styles:

PILSNER
Foothills Torch Pilsner
Olde Hickory Piedmont Pilsner
Lynnwood Czech Yourself Pilsner
Green Man Sunseeker Pils

SESSION IPA
Bombshell Hop Tease Session IPA
Trophy Trophy Wife
Lonerider The Hops You Rode In On
Natty Greene’s Southern Session IPA

AMERICAN PALE ALE
Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex
Southern Pines Edge of Town
Lynnwood Mosaic Pale Ale
Hi-Wire Prime Time Pale Ale

INDIA PALE ALE
Highland IPA
Lynnwood Hop On Top IPA
Mystery Lockwood’s Retreat

KOLSCH
Mother Earth Endless River Kölsch
Aviator 3 Bones Kölsch
Carolina Brewery Sky Blue Golden Ale
White Street Kolsch

BROWN ALE
The Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale
Natty Greene’s Old Town Brown

I’m interested to see a few of yours.
Thanks for participating and Happy Friday!

blipp
beers 14798 º places 219 º 10:59 Fri 1/20/2017

Yes! Love these threads!

IPAS
Modern Times is putting out the best and most consistent IPAs in San Diego County right now. Other breweries have had a few big hits with me, i.e., Alpine HFS, Thorn Street OG HighPA, a few from Half Door Brewing (along with a handful of duds), and many more.

Stouts
It’s gotta be Alesmith, and honestly, I don’t visit nearly enough. But being able to show up on any random day and have a selection of Speedway variants at a very reasonable price to sample is pretty great.

Pils
Home Brewing Bohemian Yeezus. This was a one-off, but damn it was good.

Sours
Probably Council’s Beatitude line. They’re not world beaters, but they’re very accessible, reasonably priced, and on any given day at the brewery there are probably 5 or 6 variants available.

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 11:39 Fri 1/20/2017

All this Alesmith stuff sounds great AND they are distributed to NC so no clue what I’m waiting for to try some. Oh, they do tend to be expensive as hell here. Time to stop being such a cheapskate I guess.

blipp
beers 14798 º places 219 º 11:58 Fri 1/20/2017

Originally posted by malvrich
All this Alesmith stuff sounds great AND they are distributed to NC so no clue what I’m waiting for to try some. Oh, they do tend to be expensive as hell here. Time to stop being such a cheapskate I guess.

Yeah, the large format bottles are out of my price range, generally. But on tap at the brewery most things are priced pretty reasonably and are available in smaller pours as well.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:16 Fri 1/20/2017

Throwing in Oregon breweries, but not first on the list unless they distribute up here.

Lagers
Chuckanut
Heater Allen

Saisons
Holy Mountain
Structures
Upright

Hoppy stuff, especially fresh hop
Fremont (especially fresh hop)
Cloudburst
Reuben’s

Wild ferments and mixed ferments
All Oregon, so not really a true local list:
Ale Apothecary
Cascade
De Garde

ben4321
beers 11296 º places 627 º 12:58 Fri 1/20/2017

A couple of the NY/NJ ones I tend to gravitate toward when I see them -

Hoppy:

LIC
Grimm
Other Half
Carton
Industrial Arts
Finback
Sloop

Saisons/Belgians:

Transmitter
Plan Bee

Great low ABV beers:

Suarez Family
Threes
Carton

Wilds:

Grimm
Captain Lawrence
Hudson Valley
Plan Bee

Stouts:

Kane
Evil Twin

Weird combinations of ingredients:

Carton

Cider/Mead:

Graft
Melovino

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:07 Fri 1/20/2017

Melvin and Snake River has me covered for numerous styles.

trapped
beers 7429 º places 466 º 18:45 Fri 1/20/2017

While agreeing mostly with Ben, I would say for NY as follows:

Hops artists
Other Half, Singlecut

The dark side
Evil Twin, Finback

Lager/pilsner
Suarez,

Weird concoctions
Big Alice

Originally posted by ben4321
A couple of the NY/NJ ones I tend to gravitate toward when I see them -

Hoppy:

LIC
Grimm
Other Half
Carton
Industrial Arts
Finback
Sloop

Saisons/Belgians:

Transmitter
Plan Bee

Great low ABV beers:

Suarez Family
Threes
Carton

Wilds:

Grimm
Captain Lawrence
Hudson Valley
Plan Bee

Stouts:

Kane
Evil Twin

Weird combinations of ingredients:

Carton

Cider/Mead:

Graft
Melovino

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 09:14 Sat 1/21/2017

Living so close to the Michigan line, I typically claim Michigan over Indiana as my "home" beer state. Michigan rocks stouts, porters, and brown ales, and I dig the Michigan style IPA probably more than most at this point. And I really believe that New Holland’s Full Circle Kolsch and Monkey King saison are as good as you can get from American brewers, especially at the price point.

For Indiana, at least up north, 3 Floyds and 18th Street succeed at being brash, which I’m not necessarily that interested in. Floyds though makes one of the best German-style lagers you can get in Gorch Fock. New Oberpfalz also is doing great with German style stuff. And New Albanian’s Community Dark is an insanely good mild ale that I wish was on draft up in my part of the state.

Quick shout out to Goshen Brewing, Iechyd Da, Crooked Ewe, and Bare Hands who each in their own way are making what I used to call the "Deadzone" a lot more interesting and worthy as a beer destination. Anyone traveling through on Interstate 80-90, I’d be happy to tell you the best places to hit up.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 18:09 Sat 1/21/2017

My highest rated Nevada beers fall right at my cutoff between great (4.3) and world beaters (4.4+).
Some nice BA Stouts from Great Basin (3 different Scytale impys in the last year or so), a couple cantaloupe sours from Brewer’s Cabinet (1982) and The Depot (Canteloupe Queen) that re really nice, as well as the Apricot Sour from Inbib. The Depot Return of the Viking is probably my favorite NV barleyewine.
Under the Rose has one of more unique highly scored beers...coffeebeer (a local coffee dubbel).
Best packaged beer (outside of the expensive large format Scytale and Viking) is Alibi Aleworks Pluot Berliner, a $3+change pint can.

douglas88
admin
beers 13175 º places 398 º 01:30 Sun 1/22/2017

Breakside’s IPA are generally great
The Abyss
HOTD Adam is still an amazing beer after all these years
Barley Brown and Boneyard IPAs!