Sour and Bitter Fest

Reads 6906 • Replies 65 • Started Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:25:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Forgetfu
08:46 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by Forgetfu
Originally posted by GT2
I’m working the Struise booth with Travlr at CBC. I’ll be wearing a neon blue Pizza Port shirt tomorrow at Sour and bitter. Come say hi.

Wish I’d seen this post earlier! I’m sure you poured me quite a few beers. Oh well, I’ll meet you two in DC soon hopefully.
Come to DC any time, we’ll give you a tour of the cool bars and new breweries....

i might actually take you up on that ;)

I’m going in 3.5 weeks Jeppe. Come on down!

deathcharms
08:59 Tue 5/15/2012

"Jeppe, what was with that "dinner"? I mean seriously...520DKK and nothing was even served, rather you had to chase it down inbetween the bean bag brigades if you wanted to eat at all. Everything else was great and handled well." Really the rest of the fest was great, I just wanna know what happened with the food portion.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:13 Tue 5/15/2012

Hey, does anyone know what’s up with the 4 year Drie Fonteinen? Is it still supposed to fall only under the regular Oude Geuze?

SrSilliGose
beers 3351 º places 252 º 10:16 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Hey, does anyone know what’s up with the 4 year Drie Fonteinen? Is it still supposed to fall only under the regular Oude Geuze?

This one?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonteinen-oude-geuze-golden-blend/167701/

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 10:20 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by lushawn

This one?

Nope - there was a 4 year old unblended lambic from 3 Fonteinen.
It was SO delicious!!

All the people I know who have rated it have just submitted their rating under the 3 Fonteinen Oude Lambiek which was already in the database.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:20 Tue 5/15/2012

No the four year version that was at Sour and Bitter. Just noticed it was in the unblended, silly me.

Jeffo1
12:06 Tue 5/15/2012

The event was piles of fun guys, and you did a wonderful job organizing everything. The sours Drie Fonteinen brought were increadible and Pizza Port did a stellar job on the bitter front. The prices were quite reasonable as well, all things considered. We were all able to drink some wonderful 3f lambic and get good pours of some fine Port offerings withought totally breaking the bank. Cheers for that!

On the downside, the dinner was a mess. Trying to find the servers meant you were running all over the place. Also, the lack of plates was a huge letdown. Eating off paper bags wasn’t really acceptable, especially for the $100 ticket just to get in. There is definitely room for improvement here.

In the end, this one was more enjoyable as a beer geek and was better value for money compared to CBC. While I’ll pass on CBC next year, I hope to attend Sour & Bitter II next year Henrik. Good times!

Cheers,
Jeff

Travlr
beers 30300 º places 3522 º 12:42 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by Forgetfu
Originally posted by GT2
I’m working the Struise booth with Travlr at CBC. I’ll be wearing a neon blue Pizza Port shirt tomorrow at Sour and bitter. Come say hi.

Wish I’d seen this post earlier! I’m sure you poured me quite a few beers. Oh well, I’ll meet you two in DC soon hopefully.
Come to DC any time, we’ll give you a tour of the cool bars and new breweries....

i might actually take you up on that ;)
any time. You’ve been to Churchkey I think, yes? or was that Mikkel? You guys look so much alike.

Travlr
beers 30300 º places 3522 º 12:50 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by phredrik
Originally posted by lushawn

This one?

Nope - there was a 4 year old unblended lambic from 3 Fonteinen.
It was SO delicious!!

All the people I know who have rated it have just submitted their rating under the 3 Fonteinen Oude Lambiek which was already in the database.
IMHO, the 4 yr lambic at CBC should be a separate entry because it’s entirely different to the existing unblended oude lambic in the database - the existing one is draft only, and is normally 6-18 mos old when served. 4-yr lambic is very special, rarely produced, and even more rarely bottled. If it’s lumped into "oude lambic," you’d also have to lump Cantillon LH-12 into Cantillon Oude Lambik.

IMHO #2, the Armand and Tommy blend (love that spelling!) should be lumped into Oude Geuze Vintage 2002-, since it’s no different than other oude geuzes, except that Tomme was in the same country (not the same room) with Armand when Armand did the blend.

Maybe the Belgian admins can weigh in??

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:31 Tue 5/15/2012

The 4 year was totally boss. Have a bottle picture to upload for whatever entry the admins decide to put it in.

I’m not sure the policy on new geuzes but if there is a new geuze that comes out with a new name, isn’t it given a new entry? They allowed Nomad to stand as a new entry from Cantillon. You could say that’s normal Cantillon Geuze. But Monk’s Cafe is aliased. So who knows the protocol.