Sour and Bitter Fest

Reads 6904 • Replies 65 • Started Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:25:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:34 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by phredrik
Originally posted by lushawn
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Hey, does anyone know what’s up with the 4 year Drie Fonteinen? Is it still supposed to fall only under the regular Oude Geuze?

This one?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/3-fonteinen-oude-geuze-golden-blend/167701/

Nope - there was a 4 year old unblended lambic from 3 Fonteinen.
It was SO delicious!!

All the people I know who have rated it have just submitted their rating under the 3 Fonteinen Oude Lambiek which was already in the database.
IMHO, the 4 yr lambic at CBC should be a separate entry because it’s entirely different to the existing unblended oude lambic in the database - the existing one is draft only, and is normally 6-18 mos old when served. 4-yr lambic is very special, rarely produced, and even more rarely bottled. If it’s lumped into "oude lambic," you’d also have to lump Cantillon LH-12 into Cantillon Oude Lambik.

IMHO #2, the Armand and Tommy blend (love that spelling!) should be lumped into Oude Geuze Vintage 2002-, since it’s no different than other oude geuzes, except that Tomme was in the same country (not the same room) with Armand when Armand did the blend.

Maybe the Belgian admins can weigh in??

Yeah, it’s not my area.. but I was under the impression Armand and Tomme’s Blend would be alted..

Jeppe
beers 2634 º places 84 º 13:36 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe
Originally posted by Forgetfu
Originally posted by GT2
I’m working the Struise booth with Travlr at CBC. I’ll be wearing a neon blue Pizza Port shirt tomorrow at Sour and bitter. Come say hi.

Wish I’d seen this post earlier! I’m sure you poured me quite a few beers. Oh well, I’ll meet you two in DC soon hopefully.
Come to DC any time, we’ll give you a tour of the cool bars and new breweries....

i might actually take you up on that ;)
any time. You’ve been to Churchkey I think, yes? or was that Mikkel? You guys look so much alike.

was there about a month ago, awesome place!

Christian
beers 16074 º places 278 º 13:37 Tue 5/15/2012

You could make the argument for all special blend geuzes. But they are usually quite different.

Jeppe
beers 2634 º places 84 º 13:39 Tue 5/15/2012

Hey, does anyone know what’s up with the 4 year Drie Fonteinen? Is it still supposed to fall only under the regular Oude Geuze?

This one?

It was SO delicious!!

All the people I know who have rated it have just submitted their rating under the 3 Fonteinen Oude Lambiek which was already in the database.
IMHO, the 4 yr lambic at CBC should be a separate entry because it’s entirely different to the existing unblended oude lambic in the database - the existing one is draft only, and is normally 6-18 mos old when served. 4-yr lambic is very special, rarely produced, and even more rarely bottled. If it’s lumped into "oude lambic," you’d also have to lump Cantillon LH-12 into Cantillon Oude Lambik.

IMHO #2, the Armand and Tommy blend (love that spelling!) should be lumped into Oude Geuze Vintage 2002-, since it’s no different than other oude geuzes, except that Tomme was in the same country (not the same room) with Armand when Armand did the blend.

Just so you know Tomme did the blending with Armand! The blend is special, just like Millenium, Roze, Blauw, 50th Anniversary etc. It should get its own entry or we should merge all other Oude Geuzes such as the above as well!

I agree the 4 yr lambiek should have own entry as it is indeed a special lambik. The only time you could get Armands own brewed lambiek in bottles!

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 14:16 Tue 5/15/2012

This one?

It was SO delicious!!

Just so you know Tomme did the blending with Armand! The blend is special, just like Millenium, Roze, Blauw, 50th Anniversary etc. It should get its own entry or we should merge all other Oude Geuzes such as the above as well!

I agree the 4 yr lambiek should have own entry as it is indeed a special lambik. The only time you could get Armands own brewed lambiek in bottles!

Sweeeeet

3fourths
beers 9493 º places 1576 º 15:17 Tue 5/15/2012

De Cam Oude Lambik bottles and draft have always been under the same entry. I believe Lindeman’s is the same.

Jeppe
beers 2634 º places 84 º 15:40 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by 3fourths
De Cam Oude Lambik bottles and draft have always been under the same entry. I believe Lindeman’s is the same.

Ok though I’m not sure I get your point ;)

3fourths
beers 9493 º places 1576 º 15:49 Tue 5/15/2012

Originally posted by 3fourths

Ok though I’m not sure I get your point ;)

if this is oude lambik in bottle, I don’t see how we can consider it different or special if it’s the same oude lambik available before draft, even though most draft samples are younger than a year and a half. I’m not the one making the decision, and I don’t care which way it goes. in the past, bottle and draft of oude lambik was combined, so that seems to be the way to do things around here, unless it’s now time to hear reasons why they should be separate that includes details of the beer or thoughts about how the beer changes enough from draft to bottles and age to warrant a separate entry. like the armand & tomme blend having a unique name, that’s the sort of thing that signals brewer intent. the new 4 year lambik bottle says just oude lambik.

afrantzell
beers 39 º 16:12 Tue 5/15/2012

Why weren’t they in the same room?

beerdweeb
09:29 Thu 5/17/2012

Epic fucking event. Would go again.