Sterilize a growler in the oven

Reads 3188 • Replies 12 • Started Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:38:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rciesla
beers 5498 º places 3 º 13:38 Sun 3/6/2016

I know there are other ways of doing it but can it be safely done with heat?
I’m guessing put it in a cold oven to avoid rapid temp change and bake at 350 for an hour?
but thats based on nothing, just a guess

SpringsLicker
beers 3958 º places 158 º 14:38 Sun 3/6/2016

Maybe but why? There are so many safer, quicker, easier, less expensive ways. But the glass was hot enough to liquefy at some point so it’s possible that it can be done without shattering. I’d slosh some Iodophor or Star-San around in it myself.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 14:49 Sun 3/6/2016

Get some Starsan...

sloth
beers 3256 º places 94 º 15:48 Sun 3/6/2016

Bleach?

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 19:01 Sun 3/6/2016

Most bacteria and pathogens are killed at 185 deg f. So 350 is overkill. A foreseeable issue with this method is that there could be non-organic residue left in the growler that can potentially contaminate the beer.

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 19:39 Sun 3/6/2016

350 is definitely overkill, as is the length of time. If you would put it in boiling water it would take only a minute or so to sanitize.

smith4498
beers 4249 º places 20 º 20:33 Sun 3/6/2016

I run mine through the dishwasher with no soap. No problems so far.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 15:34 Mon 3/7/2016

Originally posted by smith4498
I run mine through the dishwasher with no soap. No problems so far.

The only issue with this is that the trap in the bottom of the dishwasher can sometimes add crap to the water. Personally, I’d recommend everyone get a small thing of star san and a gallon of distilled water. Make a gallon batch of starsan in the jug the water comes in. It’ll keep virtually indefinitely. Needs to be distilled because otherwise the acid will react with water minerals are in the water. I then take the star san and put it in a spray bottle. You can spray the inside of the bottle out after cleaning and you’ll have a clean and sanitized growler. Easy enough, and no dealing with excess heat or anything.

blipp
beers 12470 º places 219 º 15:37 Mon 3/7/2016

Urine is actually quite sterile and acidic, and will kill most (if not all) living critters in the growler. All it takes is a keen eye, a quick shake, and a nice rinse with warm water and you should be good to go.

SpringsLicker
beers 3958 º places 158 º 16:37 Mon 3/7/2016

Originally posted by blipp
Urine is actually quite sterile and acidic, and will kill most (if not all) living critters in the growler. All it takes is a keen eye, a quick shake, and a nice rinse with warm water and you should be good to go.

If he was going to fill the growler with Bud Light, this would be redundant,no?

Frank
beers 4464 º places 92 º 14:20 Tue 3/8/2016

John Palmer has a dry heat sterilization times posted here:

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/brewing-preperations/sanitation/sanitizing-your-equipment

I would put the growler in before you turn the oven on and leave it in there after it’s off to minimize fast temperature changes/risk of broken glass.

I am not sure what you are doing w/ the growler but all of the cleaning solutions mentioned will sanitize rather than sterilize your growler, which is fine for most homebrew purposes. Or if you don’t want to get Star San or whatever you can rinse it out w/ white vinegar and again w/ filtered water. If you are just getting your growler filled at a pub, just clean it out as well as you can.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer