Stout Additions-UGH!

Reads 2745 • Replies 38 • Started Thursday, July 6, 2017 11:17:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

milewide
beers 2704 º places 30 º 11:17 Thu 7/6/2017

IMO, no beer style can achieve more variety of flavor notes, with the right malts and roasting, than stouts. Yet, brewers add obnoxious additions like coffee, chocolate, vanilla and even licorice.

The only stout I drink is: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-ambroise-oatmeal-stout/839/22437/ which has no additions as far as I can tell.

Question: Why must stouts goose up flavors with additions that they can achieve with creative brewing?

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 11:23 Thu 7/6/2017

Guessing you don’t like coffee?

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 11:25 Thu 7/6/2017

Because they sell

malvrich
beers 930 º places 5 º 11:28 Thu 7/6/2017

I also prefer them "unadulterated" but for me this includes all styles.

milewide
beers 2704 º places 30 º 11:38 Thu 7/6/2017

I agree with you! But remember that a hop is technically a "flower". Must we embrace other "flower" flavored brews? :-)

Originally posted by malvrich
I also prefer them "unadulterated" but for me this includes all styles.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:41 Thu 7/6/2017

Originally posted by JStax
Because they sell

This is it.

Something simple done well is a powerful achievement of some of today’s best small brewers. Adarius Chavez and Hill Farmstead Everett.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:45 Thu 7/6/2017

Originally posted by Clownoisseur

I love coffee but am sensitive to the insomnia effects of caffeine after 1 pm so coffee stouts unfortunately have very limited application for me. A sample at a tasting is fine but where is the brewer’s intent with this?

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 12:24 Thu 7/6/2017

Originally posted by joet

I love coffee but am sensitive to the insomnia effects of caffeine after 1 pm so coffee stouts unfortunately have very limited application for me. A sample at a tasting is fine but where is the brewer’s intent with this?

I specifically mentioned coffee, because it’s my favorite addition to a stout. I think the brewer’s intent is to share the joy of coffee with the beer world. The adenosine receptors binding with the caffeine is pleasantly stimulating to me. Alcohol content and nature will ultimately take it’s course. Nice balance...and I love the flavor.

I guess the reason "because it tastes good", is not gonna fly here....

Sorry about your low tolerance for caffeine, Joe.

milewide
beers 2704 º places 30 º 12:34 Thu 7/6/2017

I agree! Coffee in the morning. Beer in the evening!

Also: breakfast coffee cost<<<<<stout coffee cost!

Originally posted by joet

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 14:20 Thu 7/6/2017

Originally posted by milewide
IMO, no beer style can achieve more variety of flavor notes, with the right malts and roasting, than stouts. Yet, brewers add obnoxious additions like coffee, chocolate, vanilla and even licorice.

The only stout I drink is: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-ambroise-oatmeal-stout/839/22437/ which has no additions as far as I can tell.

Question: Why must stouts goose up flavors with additions that they can achieve with creative brewing?

Would you consider a barrel as an adjunct?

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 15:27 Thu 7/6/2017

Stouts are almost always better unadulterated. A skilled brewer can coax coffee and vanilla-like complexities from malt that are generally better integrated into the aroma and flavor profile of the beer than the character provided by using adjuncts. Adjuncts are the easy route, either for lazy brewers who can’t make a decent unadulterated stout, or for exploitative brewers who know they can sell their flavored stout for considerably more than an unflavored stout because the beer bros have been conditioned to assume more ingredients and more treatments equals better quality.