Styles You Don’t Like and Ratings

Reads 2592 • Replies 36 • Started Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:09:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 07:53 Sat 7/7/2012

Originally posted by redlem
Regional bias is the first, people are usually going to rate their local higher.

This can go both ways... Not as much any more but there was a period where Ontario was known for being particularly hard on their own beers.

I also find I tend to be harder on beers that I know before hand are highly rated if they don’t live up to my expectations.

cheap
beers 8825 º places 326 º 09:29 Sat 7/7/2012

"This isn’t about how well the beer conformed to its style definition -- it’s about a measurement of your own appreciation."

....and this is exactly how I approach rating. Personally I dislike IPA, imp stout, strong ales and barleywines. But, there are so many out there that I can’t pass them over. If its there, and cheap, I’ll taste it. Every once in a while I’ll find a sample of the style that I really dig.

For example; I’ve hated every 52 barley wines I tasted except for the JW Lees that absolutesites/horny devil let me try...and it was simply WONDERFUL, tho not cheap!

If I never tasted this stuff, I would have thought that those american wannah beez BWs was how barley wine was sposed to taste, it was truly enlightening! Thanks James for really opening my eyes!

SHIG
admin
beers 13063 º places 502 º 10:26 Sat 7/7/2012

I do not search out ratings of styles I dislike, but with that said I don’t pass them up at tastings or festivles either. The biggest examples I can give is that I avoid lambics and sour beers in general. However I loved dirty horse, hommage, and don quijote when I was given the chance at a few tastings. Still doesn’t mean I would search out other bottles. Jmo...Shawn

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 12:31 Sat 7/7/2012

Sometimes, because sometimes I do find beers in these styles that I *do* like. Whether or not my scores are fair is impossible to assess objectively, for all beer fans have individual, subjective palates.

kdm1984
beers 1096 º places 14 º 12:32 Sat 7/7/2012

Originally posted by Lukaduke
Good example was Lagunitas WTF... not a big brown ale fan but the hop presence and complexity of that beer made me second guess my dislike of browns...

Interesting example. I like WTF, but it is very dissimilar to most browns I’ve tried. I tend to like the brown style, but WTF struck me more as a strong ale, a la Arrogant Bastard.

blackflag321
beers 750 º places 160 º 04:08 Sun 7/8/2012

As a relative newbie I have limited experience in the range of styles I have tried. I try to avoid saying that I dont like a style. I keep an open mind and say that I just have not tried one that I like. That said, I may not try another right away, but I will try something else in the style occasionally to give it another chance. I have found that my tastes have evolved as I get more experience.