Swamp Head (Gainesville, FL)

Reads 3908 • Replies 24 • Started Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:06:47 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

aepb1
places 1 º 09:34 Sat 8/11/2012

Originally posted by DYCSoccer17
Cicerone beer server required to be a bar back for 10 hours a month? Good luck with that one...

We are requiring the server certification for any position in the tasting room. Thanks for your insight as it is asking more out of people to have that extra level. There has been quite a bit of interest with just posting the position in the tasting room but I wanted to give the ratebeer community the heads up as well.

fletche00
09:59 Sat 8/11/2012

Being somebody who worked in that industry, it would be hard to attract somebody due to no possibility of moving up. People barback for a year or so with the hope of starting to bartend, but 10hours a month does not give them the chance to do that. You are trying to attract somebody who needs a few hours a week to get away from every day life, or to pay for their gas. I wish you best of luck in your search, but this does not seem like an optimal job for anybody trying to join the industry.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 10:08 Sat 8/11/2012

Originally posted by fletche00
Being somebody who worked in that industry, it would be hard to attract somebody due to no possibility of moving up. People barback for a year or so with the hope of starting to bartend, but 10hours a month does not give them the chance to do that. You are trying to attract somebody who needs a few hours a week to get away from every day life, or to pay for their gas. I wish you best of luck in your search, but this does not seem like an optimal job for anybody trying to join the industry.

Considering Gainesville is a college town, I believe it will be fairly easy to fill the position.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 05:42 Sun 8/12/2012

I find it a little unbelievable that a brewery is being mocked for trying to hire someone knowledgeable about beer. Like cheeseman says 10 hours a week is pretty normal for kids that aren’t paying the whole way through school but just want some extra cash.

Oh, and GO VOLS!

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:12 Sun 8/12/2012

Originally posted by lithy
I find it a little unbelievable that a brewery is being mocked for trying to hire someone knowledgeable about beer. Like cheeseman says 10 hours a week is pretty normal for kids that aren’t paying the whole way through school but just want some extra cash.

Oh, and GO VOLS!

Between this and all the pitchforks and torches directed at other brewers, nothing surprises me.

aepb1
places 1 º 06:32 Sun 8/12/2012

I thought the statement that the position would be a bar back "to start" was an indication that there was room for advancement. I apologize for that being vague so I would like to amend the original post to include that intimation more overtly.
Again, as others have mentioned, this is a college town and 10+ hours a month is ideal for students or other professionals trying to get into the industry.
As for the barbs we encounter, surely it is an artifact of being a public entity.
We will endure with beer!

JLLSU
beers 238 º places 1 º 07:02 Sun 8/12/2012

Originally posted by aepb1

I thought the statement that the position would be a bar back "to start" was an indication that there was room for advancement. I apologize for that being vague so I would like to amend the original post to include that intimation more overtly.
Again, as others have mentioned, this is a college town and 10+ hours a month is ideal for students or other professionals trying to get into the industry.
As for the barbs we encounter, surely it is an artifact of being a public entity.
We will endure with beer!

Congrats for shaking off the haters and handling the shots at you with class.

fletche00
05:26 Mon 8/13/2012

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to mock, jab or poke anybody for this post. He posted it on the forum and I input my two cents. Since I dont know your brewpub and I do not know the city it resides in, I do not know how hard or not it would be to find an employee, just being somebody in the industry, that is how the post comes off to me. Now that I hear you are in a college town, yes, that job would be ideal for several people residing there for their limited stay.

"To Start" is an indicator for advancement, but followed by 10hours a month or so is an indicator that it isnt. You do not move up the chains by working 2 day a month at a job, let alone it is hard to judge their work ethic thoroughly with 10 hours a month. Now, if you can, I commend you for that, but myself and several others cannot.

@JLLSU, I am not hating anything, I simply gave my two cents on the matter, and I’m sure if the poster did not want to hear any form of criticism, good or bad, they would not of posted it on this forum.

-Zach

Again...just my 2cents

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:20 Mon 8/13/2012

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to mock, jab or poke anybody for this post. He posted it on the forum and I input my two cents. Since I dont know your brewpub and I do not know the city it resides in, I do not know how hard or not it would be to find an employee, just being somebody in the industry, that is how the post comes off to me. Now that I hear you are in a college town, yes, that job would be ideal for several people residing there for their limited stay.

"To Start" is an indicator for advancement, but followed by 10hours a month or so is an indicator that it isnt. You do not move up the chains by working 2 day a month at a job, let alone it is hard to judge their work ethic thoroughly with 10 hours a month. Now, if you can, I commend you for that, but myself and several others cannot.

@JLLSU, I am not hating anything, I simply gave my two cents on the matter, and I’m sure if the poster did not want to hear any form of criticism, good or bad, they would not of posted it on this forum.

-Zach

Again...just my 2cents

With all due respect, I have two observations. First, he/she didn’t ask for any input regarding the job, they simply posted a job opening. Second, why would you offer up an opinion about a job at a brewery that you know nothing about?

flabeer
places 2 º 06:36 Mon 8/13/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan

-Zach

Again...just my 2cents

With all due respect, I have two observations. First, he/she didn’t ask for any input regarding the job, they simply posted a job opening. Second, why would you offer up an opinion about a job at a brewery that you know nothing about?

Because it wouldn’t be Ratebeer without it!