Tags all

Reads 935 • Replies 20 • Started Friday, September 29, 2017 10:09:10 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 19:34 Sat 9/30/2017

Originally posted by blipp
I'd just like it to actually mean something, and not become a place for admins to add in-joke tags. I know you probably don't care, but this is an aspect of the site I use a lot, so I do care.

This.

hawthorne00
beers 8457 º places 63 º 10:10 Tue 10/3/2017

Originally posted by hawthorne00
No tags without <character limit> descriptions.

Agreed, for sure. Some of them are pretty simple, and just need someone to go through and add them.

All users with 1K ratings to be able to submit new tags subject to minimal veto power of vaguely sensible admin. Listed designated admin for complaints and suggestions about tags.

I'm not an admin, but I'll volunteer to do this if there is no one currently in charge of it.
OK, so who's gunna be the tame admin? The tag Relax (a hop variety, apparently used originally for tea) was added without a description (or documentation of who added the tag and when) https://www.ratebeer.com/forums/madmitch-topping-the-list-for-most-mosaic_299116_2.htm

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 02:33 Wed 10/4/2017

No tags without <character limit> descriptions.

Agreed, for sure. Some of them are pretty simple, and just need someone to go through and add them.

All users with 1K ratings to be able to submit new tags subject to minimal veto power of vaguely sensible admin. Listed designated admin for complaints and suggestions about tags.

I'm not an admin, but I'll volunteer to do this if there is no one currently in charge of it.

These are great ideas. Thanks.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 04:05 Wed 10/4/2017

I added a description for Relax now, and I can add for other tags that are not immediately clear, just let me know.
Still, I see that the second beer tagged is 'Wisconsin Dells Relaxin' Raspberry', hardly used that hop. That's the problem with common words tags...

hawthorne00
beers 8457 º places 63 º 07:43 Wed 10/4/2017

Originally posted by fiulijn
I added a description for Relax now, and I can add for other tags that are not immediately clear, just let me know.
Still, I see that the second beer tagged is 'Wisconsin Dells Relaxin' Raspberry', hardly used that hop. That's the problem with common words tags...
Thanks. The fact that you edited the tag is documented there too, which is helpful. I guess at some stage a trawl through entries to see which make don't make sense might be good idea.

But where things are sounds dangerously close to a plan. So how about this:

1. Blipp will coordinate by recruiting a few people to do a few letters each (7 is a manageable number of people, 3 is a manageable amount of work to do in a fairly short time). A google doc would be a decent thing here. Helpers could fill in their suggestions and document any reasons if it's not obvious. I'm happy to do some.
2. Blipp would answer or forward any queries, then tell fiulijn what edits to do (subject to a quick glance). That would be: add this description/ nuke this useless tag/ seek input from admins.
3. Someone should watch for new tags to ensure they comply. I imagine this pops up as a list that someone can see. There should also be a contact on the Show all tags page so people can request or complain about a tag.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 10:04 Wed 10/4/2017

I'm only willing to be involved if I can update directly. I not keen on spending hours on a spreadsheet only to see the updates take 6 months.

radagast83
beers 12431 º places 427 º 12:44 Wed 10/4/2017

Originally posted by joet
How do we feel about humorous tags such as the Berko one?

I don't think they add anything. Tags should be for immutable characteristics of the beer and well established marketing terms (like "hazy IPA" or "table beer").

I'm also cool with things like #music or #simpsons and other similar ones that create interesting groupings unrelated to ingredients or styles.

But #Berko is dumb. It's probably funny for 2 people on the whole site, and otherwise adds absolutely nothing.
Totally agree with this - immutable characteristics and groupings for things like "#music" or "#supermarket beer"

I'll also add that in the past I've run across a fair number that didn't have a description, and the tag itself wasn't descriptive enough to convey meaning, which means it's probably useless to a huge number of people on here. That could be fixed by adding a description, or by just removing the tag if it's too much of an in-joke or if it is too subjective (i.e. "what’s the point?" tag).

I'm really glad to see a ton of tags added automatically over the last few days - I had been trying to add tags to a huge number of beers the last few months and it's a huge undertaking. My numbers shot up by hundreds of beers in a number of categories which kind of sucks because I'm now no longer in the top 5 of a few, but at least they all seem to be there now.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:55 Wed 10/4/2017

Originally posted by radagast83
I'm really glad to see a ton of tags added automatically over the last few days - I had been trying to add tags to a huge number of beers the last few months and it's a huge undertaking. My numbers shot up by hundreds of beers in a number of categories which kind of sucks because I'm now no longer in the top 5 of a few, but at least they all seem to be there now.

I added a few thousand. I think a few other people have as well. Yeah, cool to see!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:56 Wed 10/4/2017

I'm only willing to be involved if I can update directly. I not keen on spending hours on a spreadsheet only to see the updates take 6 months.

Yeah I think direct access would be good.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 12:57 Wed 10/4/2017

I've created a new category "Very Minor Admin" of which you are a sole member. Let's start a bm to ensure you have all your required powers.