Tank urquell in the UK?

Reads 1948 • Replies 15 • Started Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:20:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mike004
07:20 Wed 8/1/2012

jackl
beers 8677 º places 740 º 07:27 Wed 8/1/2012

The White Horse on Parsons Green offers Urquell from the barrel probably once a month or so.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 08:12 Wed 8/1/2012

Quote:
"served direct from traditional 25-litre oak barrels from now until the end of the year."
Unquote

Can’t imagine it’s still as good in December as it is now.
Plus what about the temp differences when the barrel gets out of the cave?
I tasted some in a bar in Pilsen and you could already taste the difference from the one at the brewery’s cave. It’s the best at the brewery... Let people taste how good it is there not after such travel at the end of this year (max.) (if the barrel is not empty by then)...

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 09:24 Wed 8/1/2012

Yea iv seen it in The White Horse, though always been to late to get any.

Its not served from a tank in the sence that you would see in some places in Europe that dont really have cellars and just have a few 500L tanks full of beers.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 11:46 Wed 8/1/2012

Well it wouldn’t be tankovna if it’s unfiltered as that most definitely is although it’s (apparently) unpasteurised.

ATEOTD it’s a mediocre beer, once great, being foisted on people by a huge multinational combine who only care about the bottom line; if you want to taste quality Czech pivo go to Czech. Fresh lager is so delicate I can’t imagine it does it a lot of good sending it over here by whatever method of dispense.

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 14:47 Wed 8/1/2012

Originally posted by Countbeer
Quote:
"served direct from traditional 25-litre oak barrels from now until the end of the year."
Unquote

I tasted some in a bar in Pilsen and you could already taste the difference from the one at the brewery’s cave. It’s the best at the brewery... Let people taste how good it is there not after such travel at the end of this year (max.) (if the barrel is not empty by then)...

I think they mean they will be supplying it this way until the end of the year, not that it will be the same barrel. That would kind of defeat the purpose after rushing it there 24 hours after leaving the brewery.

Originally posted by Gazza
Well it wouldn’t be tankovna if it’s unfiltered as that most definitely is although it’s (apparently) unpasteurised.

ATEOTD it’s a mediocre beer, once great, being foisted on people by a huge multinational combine who only care about the bottom line; if you want to taste quality Czech pivo go to Czech. Fresh lager is so delicate I can’t imagine it does it a lot of good sending it over here by whatever method of dispense.
It’s still sad to me that blimps aren’t used more. You could keep the beer cold in the clouds!

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 14:57 Wed 8/1/2012

Originally posted by Sevenlee
Quote:
Unquote

I think they mean they will be supplying it this way until the end of the year, not that it will be the same barrel. That would kind of defeat the purpose after rushing it there 24 hours after leaving the brewery.

Well if they can transport it at the same temp as it is in the caves at the brewery and a pub could store a barrel in a place with the same temp I can imagine it’ll be better and they could hold longer onto the barrel. Though, still something inside of me says it’ll not be as good as it is in the Pilsen caves...

reakt
beers 959 º places 7 º 14:57 Wed 8/1/2012

It’s brought over in refrigerated trucksin little oak barrels...I’ve not been lucky enough to visit the brewery as of yet but I thought this one was pretty good.

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 17:00 Wed 8/1/2012

Quote:
Unquote

Well if they can transport it at the same temp as it is in the caves at the brewery and a pub could store a barrel in a place with the same temp I can imagine it’ll be better and they could hold longer onto the barrel. Though, still something inside of me says it’ll not be as good as it is in the Pilsen caves...

Quite probably true but I’m sure most people don’t have the luxury of visiting the caves at their leisure; also, I’m sure the barrels they send to the UK will be much better than bottles. Seems like win-win to me.

Countbeer
beers 6586 º places 259 º 22:19 Wed 8/1/2012

Quote:
Unquote

Quite probably true but I’m sure most people don’t have the luxury of visiting the caves at their leisure; also, I’m sure the barrels they send to the UK will be much better than bottles. Seems like win-win to me.

Oh absolutely, this is the best that comes from Pilsen! All that bottled beer is not bad but in quality, this just beats every bottled beer from the Pilsen brewery.
A win-win for sure! Hope they taste good at your pubs as well. Enjoy it while it is there.