Tell me about 3 Floyd’s, Anniversary Party

Reads 21832 • Replies 115 • Started Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:26:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:55 Sun 11/13/2011

I’ll echo the sentiment that for a brewery that has really locked down how to run a 6000 person event like a machine.. This 2500 person event was a huge mess.. And we even got there later on and there was still a line to even get in..

ShiteWeasel
06:52 Sun 11/13/2011

Having attended a lot of DLD days, even back when they sucked at it, this was the worst. And I gave them $25 to stand in line for 4 hours. A new low in scamming customers for money. They should have just done a Thank You party for investors and not tried to screw over the rest of us. For years we have been letting FFF they are special. Last night they took the Beer Princess title.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 07:22 Sun 11/13/2011

Originally posted by ShiteWeasel
And I gave them $25 to stand in line for 4 hours. A new low in scamming customers for money.

Well reports of this event (here and elsewhere) sealed the deal, I will not be at Dark Lord day next year. Too many other breweries and beer to spend my hard earned cash on then to waste it on the hype and greed machine they champion. I was right on the fence about them for well over a year but you can now add Three Floyds to breweries that are dead to me. The thought of having this reported clusterpuck the same day as FoBAB burns my ass as well.

I will miss Alpha King, Gumballhead, Dreadnaught and the such but that will be monies to be given to soon the be new brewers like Pipeworks, Bare Hands, and Iechyd Da... and of course Revolution, Haymarket and Greenbush.

Congrats boys, you lost a long time customer but sadly some sheepie will step up and take my place.

beergurujr
beers 2 º 07:52 Sun 11/13/2011

here we go again.

it’s an event.

at three floyds.

what doesn’t everyone understand?

it’s only beer, people. not the be-all, end-all. only beer.

relax. go spend some time with your loved ones. it’s sunday.

ICEatALAMO
beers 1366 º places 18 º 10:35 Sun 11/13/2011

We got there at about 12:30-12:45. It was 3 hours by the time we got through the line. Thankfully the weather was nice. I will say that I told my wife that it did not seem like 3 hours. I think it could have been a little better organized.

It was obviously a huge money grab for them. When we got to the line the only BA item they were out of was the BA 2010 DL, which cost $50. I would have like to try it, but not overly disappointed when we didn’t get it. Got two of the other ones for the same price.

The samples that you got were pretty light, some seemed like barely a one ounce pour. Mikkeller was the best at this by giving about a half of glass for their sample. That is why I used three of my samples there.

Wish I would have gotten a chance to actually check out the brewery, but it was too had to get in.

Getting a case of Zombie Dust was nice, some people brought 2 wheelers to take 3-5 cases of that stuff home with them.

Personally I think the beer could have been better, but hopefully it will age well. Probably not worth the $30 price tag. All-n-all not a great event, but I have also been to worse.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 11:41 Sun 11/13/2011

I am completely shocked that a rare beer relese party sucked and people had to stand outside for hours. I am definitely going to the next one, though.

ekoerper
beers 599 º places 39 º 12:06 Sun 11/13/2011

This was my first beer release, and I thought it was a mixed bag. I thought the setup for draft pours, the bands, and food was well done. I never had to wait more than ~5 minutes for a pour, and food lines were reasonable. It was nice that the bands were in the warehouse so if you wanted some (relative) quiet, you could just avoid the noise.

Some things could have been handled in a much more intelligent way. We got there at 12:30, and I think we got through the beer line sometime around 3:30. That’s pretty absurd, and it was worse for folks who arrived later on. I understand that no matter what they do for any event, it will sell out, but it wouldn’t take much effort to come up with something more efficient to keep lines down. They’d still make their money, and have happier customers.

iugrad93
beers 265 º places 2 º 13:41 Sun 11/13/2011

Originally posted by beergurujr
here we go again.

it’s an event.

at three floyds.

what doesn’t everyone understand?

it’s only beer, people. not the be-all, end-all. only beer.

relax. go spend some time with your loved ones. it’s sunday.

then don’t call it a "party" with bands. call it a stand in f’ing line all day and if your lucky get some beer, and miss all the bands. why couldn’t FFF just create 2 lines: one to get in to buy the special beers and the sampling and one to buy my own drafts, sit and listen to music, eat and get my special release when I want. it’s really pretty simple.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 14:32 Sun 11/13/2011

Originally posted by mikem409
so what was the $25 ticket for?? 5 beer samples? why dont they make the ticket $90 bucks and then your 3 bottles are paid for and they know exactly how many they need and you can just show your ticket and pick them up and leave or pick them up a diffrent day???

How dare you bring logic into this!

I was there, got there at 3:30 and was finally through the lines around 6:30. It was a mess. Surly ran out of beer by 6:00ish, Struise not much longer after that. I really wonder why I expect different experiences from 3 Floyds. This was just another reminder to stay away from big beer releases.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 15:37 Sun 11/13/2011

I had a great time. And I luckily got all the barrel aged beers that I wanted to get.