That there London

Reads 9472 • Replies 30 • Started Sunday, March 26, 2017 5:37:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DruncanVeasey
beers 10348 º places 51 º 17:37 Sun 3/26/2017

Any good beers on? Myself and 45,000+ other thirsty Coventrians will be in town this Sunday to reminisce about the Houchen Final of ’87 at and get all dewy-eyed about a once great football club before they are relegated from the football league and asset stripped out of existence, forever.

So, where is utterly unmissable, and is anywhere worth checking out within the shadow of the twin towers? (’Arch’ I think they call it these days). My preference is for 3.8% cask hop monsters over 8% keg muck but I’m a slut for anything tasty. Already familiar with Craft Beer Co, Cask Pub and Kitchen, Euston Tap, Draft House, The Kernel, Southampton Arms...where should be next on my hitlist?

A (wonderful) added complication will be that my 9th month old son will be accompanying me on parts of the crawl, will he be humoured on the Bermondsey Mile or am I a bad and crazy Papa for even entertaining such a notion? He is already a regular in various Nuneaton/Coventry/Hinckley Wetherspoons so not adverse to roughing it a bit if need be.

Cheers for any recommendations/parental advice!

Duncan

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 01:35 Mon 3/27/2017

there are plenty of parents with pushchairs doing Bermondsey so you should be fine.

imdownthepub
beers 26051 º places 2103 º 01:47 Mon 3/27/2017

Every 9 month old son should be taken down the Bermondsey mile as part of his Birth right and education. You will have no problems there.
Your bigger problem will be finding anything worthwhile under the shadows of the Wembley Arch, it’s changed a bit since you were last there. There is a pub nearby that puts up a marquee in the back garden that we use on our visits, nothing exciting on the beer list though and right now I am struggling to think of the name of the pub.
You should know that I was talking to the Oxford boys on Friday night and they are pretty confident and lots are going.

evergreen0199
beers 5929 º 03:02 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
there are plenty of parents with pushchairs doing Bermondsey so you should be fine.

They’ll have their beloved dogs in tow too, a must have accessory in beer establishments these days!

CraftBeerNick
beers 9211 º places 185 º 03:24 Mon 3/27/2017

Mother Kelly’s is great

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40508 º places 1239 º 04:00 Mon 3/27/2017

Scroll past Wembley itself ... I had a couple of meetings there last Summer/Autumn and took a walk up and down the High Street.... the same beer desert Shit-Hole it was when I first saw Leicester at Wembley in the 90’s play offs.

Bermondsey would be a good call logistically as you are on a direct route (a touch over half an hour) to Wembley. Plus you’d be getting on the train at the quieter (it will still likely be busy) end of the line and not having to board with 300 football fans in central London!

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 05:56 Mon 3/27/2017

The Kernel used to - and may still - have a sandbox for the little ones. The box was originally for the owner’s son, but his son is now c. 6 so not sure if they still have the box or not.

Scopey
beers 24182 º places 727 º 05:58 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by Leighton
The Kernel used to - and may still - have a sandbox for the little ones. The box was originally for the owner’s son, but his son is now c. 6 so not sure if they still have the box or not.
I can confirm the sandbox is still operational.

BeardedAvenger
beers 7319 º places 596 º 07:18 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by Scopey

That’ll be useful if Druncan brings his kid back in 2 years.

Can’t believe people take their babiess out to stuff. Waaayyy to much hassle.

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 07:24 Mon 3/27/2017

Originally posted by BeardedAvenger

That’ll be useful if Druncan brings his kid back in 2 years.

Can’t believe people take their babiess out to stuff. Waaayyy to much hassle.

I know 9mo is a little young for a sandbox. But I figured it was a good illustration of the fact that youngsters are not uncommon around Bermondsey.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 10:58 Mon 3/27/2017

And as my eldest is the same age as Evin’s, I can confirm c.6 y/o is absolutely no barrier to loving sand pits/boxes.