The Danish beer revolution in cold facts

Reads 5975 • Replies 36 • Started Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:52:41 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 00:52 Sat 1/15/2011

Every year the Danish beer news blog beerticker.dk compiles a list of new Danish beers on the market.

I believe the numbers alone show what has been going on in Denmark in recent years:

New beers by Danish breweries (or contract breweries):
■1999: 17
■2000: 15
■2001: 21
■2002: 30
■2003: 54
■2004: 82
■2005: 234
■2006: 506
■2007: 556
■2008: 647
■2009: 604
■2010: 590

Denmark has a population roughly the size of Wisconsin.

The media over here keeps talkin about crisis in the craft beer business, but the fact is that very few producers shut down. But not many are making much of a profit though.
Although consumption of beer keeps dropping (officially) the producers keep releasing new beers. And who am I to complain...

You can read a little more here in googlish:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbeerticker.dk%2F590-nye-danske-oel-i-2010-30396&act=url

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 01:39 Sat 1/15/2011

Congratulations and good luck. Hope it’s not a desperate attempt to win profit before dying.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 04:39 Sat 1/15/2011

I hate to piss on you bonfire, but those facts are not as meaningful as you’d like to think they are. In fact, they’re a whisker away from being completely meaningless.

You can have 400 new beers in a year by having 8 macros brewing a batch a week and cynically rebadging each batch with a different name. (cf. /Archers/ in the UK who seemed to never brew a beer twice.) In "facts" you’ve got 400 new beers a year, but in fact you’ve only got 8 beers, and none are new.

And why are you telling us the number of new beers, but not the number of retired beers? In new beers are good, then retired beers are bad, right? Do you fear that the ’bad’ side would show an enormous growth also? Does that statistic worry you?

A far better statistic is just the number of different beers available at any one time. I’m sure that would tell an equally positive story, and is far less easily gamed.

You don’t need feel-good faux statistics in order to feel good about the beer scene in Denmark, anyone who’s seen it both before and after the revolution knows that any word weaker than "revolution" isn’t strong enough to describe what has happened.

Damn it - when I get home, I’m sticking a Danish beer in the fridge - may the selection and quality you currently have be long maintained! (Black Cat was excellent, I wish I has another...)

Todeon
beers 325 º places 17 º 04:43 Sat 1/15/2011

Originally posted by FatPhil
I hate to piss on you bonfire, but those facts are not as meaningful as you’d like to think they are. In fact, they’re a whisker away from being completely meaningless.

You can have 400 new beers in a year by having 8 macros brewing a batch a week and cynically rebadging each batch with a different name. (cf. /Archers/ in the UK who seemed to never brew a beer twice.) In "facts" you’ve got 400 new beers a year, but in fact you’ve only got 8 beers, and none are new.

And why are you telling us the number of new beers, but not the number of retired beers? In new beers are good, then retired beers are bad, right? Do you fear that the ’bad’ side would show an enormous growth also? Does that statistic worry you?

A far better statistic is just the number of different beers available at any one time. I’m sure that would tell an equally positive story, and is far less easily gamed.

You don’t need feel-good faux statistics in order to feel good about the beer scene in Denmark, anyone who’s seen it both before and after the revolution knows that any word weaker than "revolution" isn’t strong enough to describe what has happened.

Damn it - when I get home, I’m sticking a Danish beer in the fridge - may the selection and quality you currently have be long maintained! (Black Cat was excellent, I wish I has another...)

Man, M.r Positive right here!

altonbrownd
beers 5922 º places 341 º 07:34 Sat 1/15/2011

I suspect more than a quarter of the new releases are from a single brewer, Mikkeller, who makes wonderful stuff and is available at RateBeer-type places. But does the average Dane sip this heavenly nectar?

KimJohansen
beers 10557 º places 13 º 07:41 Sat 1/15/2011

All of them are verified as new beers by the author of beerticker.dk and several of RB members. Nothing wrong with that list.

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 09:04 Sat 1/15/2011

Originally posted by altonbrownd
I suspect more than a quarter of the new releases are from a single brewer, Mikkeller, who makes wonderful stuff and is available at RateBeer-type places. But does the average Dane sip this heavenly nectar?

"Only" 10% actually

And yes, ordinary Danish beer drinkers know and respect the name. They may not be willing to pay the price for a bottle of Mikkeller, but they recognize the name when I bring it to tastings.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:55 Sat 1/15/2011

Originally posted by KimJohansen
All of them are verified as new beers by the author of beerticker.dk and several of RB members. Nothing wrong with that list.

More directly, FatPhil’s claim that these are rebadges and macros is simply untrue.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:02 Sat 1/15/2011

Originally posted by Christian
Originally posted by altonbrownd

"Only" 10% actually

And yes, ordinary Danish beer drinkers know and respect the name. They may not be willing to pay the price for a bottle of Mikkeller, but they recognize the name when I bring it to tastings.

Just to add some additional weight to that.

Mikkeller was the most rated brewer in the entire world last month. That’s an incredible achievement for such a small brewer.

Dogfish Head’s Sam Calagione had hurtled Dogfish into that position when Sam Calagione appeared on the Discovery Channel’s "Brewmasters". But Mikkeller bested second place by a whopping margin. Mikkeller is pushing a very mighty wave of enthusiasm right now.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 11:48 Sat 1/15/2011

Everywhere in the world has these brewers who continuously make "new" beers which all taste suspiciously similar...

In the UK we have our share, Cottage and Northumberland spring to mind now Archers has gone, but I’m sure all countries have these brewers and no, it’s not right, but we are driving this by demanding new beers every day and the brewers are simply tapping into a market they see as growing and profitable.

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 14:22 Sat 1/15/2011

I hate to piss on your paranoid conspiracy theory, but all rebadges are marked in pink in the list. And naturally they don’t count as part of the 590 total.
We’re not complete morons.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoHWJzyJWhludFZ4bzl2cEVDSkxybDN6ZGl1aTR1cFE&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html