The eight trappist is coming... from France (and Belgium)

Reads 2212 • Replies 19 • Started Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:15:10 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JorisPPattyn
beers 12652 º places 86 º 08:15 Tue 5/31/2011

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 08:29 Tue 5/31/2011

Originally posted by JorisPPattyn
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.1036126

Just rated it. Gave it a 5.1. I’ve already got an Ebay listing with a reserve of $5000, but I am willing to trade for a Stone 01.01.01.

Ok, a bit of sarcasm, as I am sure this will be one of the most hyped breweries of 2011. Still, hope they do well and certainly at some point want to try their beer. Does the article say how big production is? or when the beer might start to be on sale?

Tim

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4332 º places 76 º 08:38 Tue 5/31/2011

A new Lambic blendery & Trappist brewery in such quick succession!?!?!

Ernest
beers 9002 º places 229 º 08:45 Tue 5/31/2011

"The friars at the Mont des Cats got help from Trappist brewers at Chimay in Belgium. The Belgians developed a new recipe especially for the Mont des Cats Abbey. Initially the beer will be brewed in Belgium, but production is expected to move to France in the course of the year."

So this is effectively a new Chimay beer? Ehh.

mumares
beers 98 º places 1 º 10:07 Tue 5/31/2011

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 11:26 Tue 5/31/2011

The cheese from Mont des Cats is sublime.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 12:16 Tue 5/31/2011

Originally posted by TimE

Just rated it. Gave it a 5.1. I’ve already got an Ebay listing with a reserve of $5000, but I am willing to trade for a Stone 01.01.01.

Ok, a bit of sarcasm, as I am sure this will be one of the most hyped breweries of 2011. Still, hope they do well and certainly at some point want to try their beer. Does the article say how big production is? or when the beer might start to be on sale?

Tim

I don’t think it’s bad that for once another trappist will be in the postlights ( at least for a moment).
Westvleteren is good but as maybe many of you agree (or don’t agree) , westvleteren is sometimes a bit overrated and the fathers at the abbey of st-sixtus should be left alone for a while i think ...
To calm down and loose some of the heat that a trappist brewery needs to go thru in the world of beerlovers.
Maybe then they’ll be able to have a bigger stock of beer again or maybe renew there recipes for a better beer ?

I’m deffinitly up for this idea of a new trappist brewery and i do hope they tend to go to a more modern outlook on brewing a beer , much in the line of la trappe.
I surely hope that it will hit belgian stores whenever it comes out!

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 14:21 Tue 5/31/2011

Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek

Tim

I don’t think it’s bad that for once another trappist will be in the postlights ( at least for a moment).
Westvleteren is good but as maybe many of you agree (or don’t agree) , westvleteren is sometimes a bit overrated and the fathers at the abbey of st-sixtus should be left alone for a while i think ...
To calm down and loose some of the heat that a trappist brewery needs to go thru in the world of beerlovers.
Maybe then they’ll be able to have a bigger stock of beer again or maybe renew there recipes for a better beer ?

I’m deffinitly up for this idea of a new trappist brewery and i do hope they tend to go to a more modern outlook on brewing a beer , much in the line of la trappe.

I don’t agree. The spotlight isn’t being put on them. It is not making them work harder, or try to produce any more beer. They produce what they want to produce and no more. If they wanted to make money off of this, they would go the route of Chimay and Westmalle. Especially Chimay, as this seems to be a plot to get another ’Trappist’ moniker under their umbrella. Double the profits, likely more until people find out it’s not that good. Just like Chimay.

Selling out to make a profit is not what Sint Sixtus is about. And as for being left alone? What? They allow visitors if they WANT to, not the other way around.

And overrated? Wow!

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 14:39 Tue 5/31/2011

Originally posted by suprchunk
Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek

Tim

I don’t agree. The spotlight isn’t being put on them. It is not making them work harder, or try to produce any more beer. They produce what they want to produce and no more. If they wanted to make money off of this, they would go the route of Chimay and Westmalle. Especially Chimay, as this seems to be a plot to get another ’Trappist’ moniker under their umbrella. Double the profits, likely more until people find out it’s not that good. Just like Chimay.

Selling out to make a profit is not what Sint Sixtus is about. And as for being left alone? What? They allow visitors if they WANT to, not the other way around.

And overrated? Wow!

yes that’s my vision , and sorry if i put it out incorrectly but i don’t state they wanna make profit out of it absolutly not , otherwise indeed they would sell their beers just in regular stores and brew much more beer. But what i’m saying is that the monks stay at their own brewing volume and tend to sell out all of their " stock" since they want all people to be happy in some sort of way or want as many people as possible to taste their beer.
they even give a 3 pack at the abbey when u come down without calling/reserving your crate of beers , to at least give you something that’s very generous but also gives them no option to keep their beer instead of main percentage selling their beers/stock.

And what’s wrong with chimay ? just cause you can buy them in general stores makes them a bad abbey with bad beer ?
Trappist is trappist because it needs to be brewn inside a abbey
has to be supervised by a monastery
and most part of their profit has to go to social works .
So of chimay was only there for the profit for themselfs they would never be allowed inside the order of trappists ...

And when it comes to beers , sorry but i cannot understand that a beer like westvleteren wins over beers from struise, cantillon , founders , north coast , mikkeller , de molen , etc ...
most beers from these brewers are sometimes fenomenal and unheard when it comes to flavours and tastecombinations , in that way i cannot come by how a abbey beer wins from beers of those brewerys ... i’ve tasted all westvleteren beers and must say i’ve drunk better saisons or low abv beers than westvleteren ... my favourit trappist is la trappe and aged orval ... and second comes westvlteren , chimay and rochefort , achel runs between ...

and that’s my vision and i don’t push it to be yours ...

cheers

absolutesites
beers 2 º 15:03 Tue 5/31/2011

And overrated? Wow!

Westvleteren IS a very good brewery and the 12 is a great beer.

That being said, it is VERY overrated.

There are other quads that are more available that are just as good if not better.

St. Bernardus and Rochefort are two that immediately come to mind.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 15:42 Tue 5/31/2011

Originally posted by absolutesites
And overrated? Wow!

Westvleteren IS a very good brewery and the 12 is a great beer.

That being said, it is VERY overrated.

There are other quads that are more available that are just as good if not better.

St. Bernardus and Rochefort are two that immediately come to mind.

new but also very good is the straffe hendrik quadrupel
achel extra is also a good one in my eyes
and struise st-amatus les easy to obtain but very much worth the try !