The story behind kp’s ratings

Reads 5584 • Replies 40 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:38:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 20:08 Tue 9/4/2007

Originally posted by eboats
You are a bastard for using a program like that. It does me no good. Here I thought you found some easy to use universal upload program for those ratings. Guess I have to keep entering them by hand.

Someone was working on an XML rating upload tool but I guess it never got finished.

hezron
beers 614 º places 26 º 20:22 Tue 9/4/2007

KP, that’s pretty cool. I didn’t know you were a UNIX guy.

Back when I was trading, I setup a PHP script to login to Ratebeer for me and turn my beer mail into an RSS feed. Then I subscribed to the RSS feed in my reader and had it refresh once every 2 minutes.

It was pretty sweet to answer people’s beer mail within minutes.

I could have set it up so that anyone could use it. The only thing is that people would have had to trust that I wouldn’t steal their password, I didn’t like that so decided not to make it public.

dankman
beers 257 º places 20 º 21:47 Tue 9/4/2007

Just rate and we will read them, thanks for your insight.

Originally posted by kp
Several people have asked for the story behind my ratings and how I could rate over 4000 beers in a single day. Here is a brief background.

History
Living in Georgia, in the early 1990s, was living in a beer wasteland. In order to have good beer to drink I would have to travel and bring back good beers. The best closest place to get a good selection of beers was Washington DC, a nine hour drive each way. I’d make a trip once, maybe twice, a year and stock up for the rest of the year. When you only get to go to the beer store once a year, and are spending your annual beer budget all at once, you have to be sure you don’t keep buying the same crap, and you stock up on your favorites. I started rating beers in order to keep up with what to buy on my annual trips to DC. I also started a beer cellar at the same time, as I’d buy enough to make sure I had enough to last for the whole year (and then some). The ratings actually predate the cellar.
Hardware
About the same time I started rating beer I had bought a Sharp Wizard to track appointments and contacts. I started using the memo function to list beers and scores. Eventually in the late 90s I replaced the Sharp with a Palm III after I ran out of rating memory. A few years ago I migrated to a Palm Treo 600 to combine PDA and phone and pager into one device (and to get a keyboard to make it easier to store ratings).
Software
As stated above I started using the memo feature on a PDA. After I upgraded to the Palm platform I started looking for a good database program to use. I ended up using HanDBase as it is a good powerful relational database. I use a simple parent-child set of tables to track breweries and then beers for each brewery. I keep separate entries for beers that I want to track by vintage. I also frequently have separate entries for some aliased beers and beers that have changed names over the years. Within each entry I may have multiple sets of notes where I have review the beer multiple times. This is especially true of beers where I like to do occasional vertical tastings or where I’ll sample a beer in different serving modes (bottle, draft, cask). I plan to break these multiple ratings out into a new grandchild table to hold the notes and separate scores for each rerate.

MPA
beers 1198 º places 6 º 16:31 Wed 9/5/2007

Originally posted by eaglefan538
Phew, good thing the Ratebeer user policy doesn’t forbid using bots to execute site activity ;). Close one.

Word just in: bots have been forbidden and all of kp’s rating are now considered illegal, hence they will be deleted asap!

Nah, this was really impressive and has to be one of the biggest stories on Rb in 2007...Hell, in all of Ratebeers lifetime. KP’s a beer legend and stories will be told about him for ages. I for one will tell my customers about this great accomplishment!

MP

kp
beers 10878 º places 12 º 16:36 Wed 9/5/2007

Originally posted by MPA
Originally posted by eaglefan538
Phew, good thing the Ratebeer user policy doesn’t forbid using bots to execute site activity ;). Close one.

Word just in: bots have been forbidden and all of kp’s rating are now considered illegal, hence they will be deleted asap!

I actually did check the user policy first.

fiulijn
beers 25635 º places 725 º 17:24 Wed 9/5/2007

yep, that was funny to live, last Saturday

I have a question; you gathered ratings for years, what made you decide to give it a go right on 01092007 and not, e.g., 3 months ago or 1st of January next year?

kp
beers 10878 º places 12 º 17:43 Wed 9/5/2007

Originally posted by fiulijn
I have a question; you gathered ratings for years, what made you decide to give it a go right on 01092007 and not, e.g., 3 months ago or 1st of January next year?

I started working on the upload project January 2006 with the goal of having it down by the end of 2006. Maping thousands of breweries and beers to RateBeer is a lengthly task. Just think of how hard it is to find all beers on a year old 100 beer backlog. Now try 5000 and 10 years.
In the fall of 2006 I contacted RateBeer to try and see if I could upload my actual rating date instead of everything having the same date and skewing all kinds of statistics. There was a project in place, but since RateBeer uses volunteer labor, it drug on. I did have a Dark Lord offer out there to speed up the process, but it expired on Aug 31. Thus the Sep 01 upload date.

DerWeg
beers 2081 º places 47 º 19:07 Wed 9/5/2007

Several people have asked for the story behind my ratings and how I could rate over 4000 beers in a single day.

Those people are lazy. They should try harder.

Maria
beers 10208 º places 18 º 06:51 Thu 9/6/2007

First of all: congratulations, veeeery neat indeed

Thanks for sharing the details KP - with the speed they were coming, I realized it wasn’t a copy & paste job, like I and many others have gone through with our backlogs

cgarvieuk
beers 32748 º places 453 º 07:04 Thu 9/6/2007

Just to add to the Addoration. Way cool. It was fun watching it all (well some of it) go by.

Your Ratings predate Ratebeer, so how did you decide to convert your score to Rate beer one, or were you originally using much the same system.

I use a PDA DB as well to rate on as i wanted it for much same reasons a handy reference to make sure i picked up the best and avoided the worst, when restockin.

I wonder how may others do the same.