The story behind kp’s ratings

Reads 5585 • Replies 40 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:38:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kp
beers 10878 º places 12 º 09:35 Thu 9/6/2007

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Your Ratings predate Ratebeer, so how did you decide to convert your score to Rate beer one, or were you originally using much the same system.

I’m very consistant in how I take notes. I always start with appearance, aroma, body, flavor, and sometimes overall. I’m also tend to use a common subset of words to describe each of these things, good or bad. I wrote a program that thinks the way I think and parsed through my notes and used a combination of keywords and the old scoring system to calculate the RateBeer scores. I started using the RateBeer scoring system in 2005, so I was able to use the notes that had an actual RateBeer score as a baseline to make sure the calculated scores were correct (i.e. the program should come up with the same calculated score as I had already manually assigned).

Maria
beers 10208 º places 18 º 09:54 Thu 9/6/2007

I use a PDA DB as well to rate on as i wanted it for much same reasons a handy reference to make sure i picked up the best and avoided the worst, when restockin.

I wonder how may others do the same.

I too use a PDA, not for my ratings, but for the list of beers I have had/have in my cellar.
It’s - as you say - worth gold when you are shopping beers and/or attend festivals. Up to 1500 I had them in my memory, but then it started slipping, and I’m sure it has NOTHING to do with the 1500 beers

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 02:46 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by kp
Your Ratings predate Ratebeer, so how did you decide to convert your score to Rate beer one, or were you originally using much the same system.

I’m very consistant in how I take notes. I always start with appearance, aroma, body, flavor, and sometimes overall. I’m also tend to use a common subset of words to describe each of these things, good or bad. I wrote a program that thinks the way I think and parsed through my notes and used a combination of keywords and the old scoring system to calculate the RateBeer scores. I started using the RateBeer scoring system in 2005, so I was able to use the notes that had an actual RateBeer score as a baseline to make sure the calculated scores were correct (i.e. the program should come up with the same calculated score as I had already manually assigned).

This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing the explanations. I’m very curious: What was your old scoring system, before you switched to the RB system in 2005, and how hard was that to convert?

cgarvieuk
beers 32748 º places 453 º 03:11 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by JoeinUccle
Originally posted by kp

This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing the explanations. I’m very curious: What was your old scoring system, before you switched to the RB system in 2005, and how hard was that to convert?

Yeah thanks a lot for the answer, was real interesting, and nice that you took the time to not only parse info but lay out your ratings nicely. Your ratings fair stand out

Flipbrewer
beers 33 º 03:47 Tue 9/11/2007

You sir, are the ultimate beergeek...

Nice meeting you at NoogFest II; hope to see you at NFIV (but uhm... could you and Sassy keep it down next time so hotel management won’t have the sherrif throw us out? )

Cheers!

CaptainCougar
beers 7131 º places 142 º 04:25 Tue 9/11/2007

It would be easier for Santa Claus to deliver presents to hundreds of millions of children than it would be for one person to rate 4600 beers in one night...

cgarvieuk
beers 32748 º places 453 º 05:04 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by CaptainCougar
It would be easier for Santa Claus to deliver presents to hundreds of millions of children than it would be for one person to rate 4600 beers in one night...

Well i know we usually leave a nip out for santa, so maybe if we all leave a beer out this year and a note explainign rate beer, we can see just how many beers santa can rate in one night

xnoxhatex
beers 1305 º places 9 º 05:27 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by kp

I wrote a program that thinks the way I think and parsed through my notes and used a combination of keywords and the old scoring system to calculate the RateBeer scores.

All we need now is the PDA to drink like you and we have some dangerous scientific fiction AI on our hands... or possibly a good drinking buddy.

Probiere
beers 992 º places 46 º 06:01 Tue 9/11/2007

What’s most impressive is that a golden retriever puppy learned how to program.

BeerBelcher
beers 972 º places 134 º 08:25 Tue 9/11/2007

One suggestion.

Is it possible to change the date on your ratings? I’m sure you kept track of the original date of your ratings and having all ratings on RateBeer with the date 07 Sept 2007 causes confusion (the need for this thread being evidence of that). In the future, confusion could potentially increase; for example a month from now someone who didn’t read this thread sees that you rated a long-retired beer recently could lead them to believe that a beer has been brought out from retirement, etc.

Perhaps an admin could do that for you if you shared your source information using some sort of simple look-up function?