The story behind kp’s ratings

Reads 5583 • Replies 40 • Started Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:38:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen
 
kp
beers 10878 º places 12 º 09:37 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by BeerBelcher
One suggestion.

Is it possible to change the date on your ratings? I’m sure you kept track of the original date of your ratings and having all ratings on RateBeer with the date 07 Sept 2007 causes confusion (the need for this thread being evidence of that). In the future, confusion could potentially increase; for example a month from now someone who didn’t read this thread sees that you rated a long-retired beer recently could lead them to believe that a beer has been brought out from retirement, etc.

Perhaps an admin could do that for you if you shared your source information using some sort of simple look-up function?

Actually, that was one part of the story that I left out. I was ready for this a year ago and discussed the date issue with an admin because I wanted correct statistics for my ratings. It was decided it would be a security issue to be able to backdate the date the rating was entered, but instead RateBeer was going to start keeping two dates - an entered date and a new rating date, with the latter used for statistics. But that software never got completed and I got tired of waiting. If it is ever completed, though, I can refresh my ratings with the correct dates.

 
DenverLogan
beers 1801 º places 67 º 15:14 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by kp
Originally posted by Quake1028
Is that your entire backlog? Or do you have more to enter?

That is all that I can put on RateBeer except a couple I need to add once I get more info from the brewery.
I have hundreds of ratings from breweries that were long gone before RateBeer came along or before the beers were ever entered on RateBeer.


Truly Amazing!!! I have thousands of ratings in dozens of books and in my mind the best solution was to have them entered with cheap labor in Thailand, but it’d be useless...way too many of my ratings say something like: "rich, full bodied, nice caramel malts, yummy, buy a 6-pack next time!"

 
cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 16:21 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by DenverLogan
Originally posted by kp
Originally posted by Quake1028
Is that your entire backlog? Or do you have more to enter?

That is all that I can put on RateBeer except a couple I need to add once I get more info from the brewery.
I have hundreds of ratings from breweries that were long gone before RateBeer came along or before the beers were ever entered on RateBeer.


Truly Amazing!!! I have thousands of ratings in dozens of books and in my mind the best solution was to have them entered with cheap labor in Thailand, but it’d be useless...way too many of my ratings say something like: "rich, full bodied, nice caramel malts, yummy, buy a 6-pack next time!"


I’m not sure if the same idea comes across clearly to the people who’ve never seen your ratings notes, Logan, but I’ll take those smiley faces to be an approximation of the squiggly doodles and drawings of strange animals and characters that randomly show up on your notebook (and the notebooks of anyone else who happened to leave for the bathroom a quick minute). Good stuff.

 
aracauna
beers 3940 º places 104 º 17:36 Tue 9/11/2007

I still find it baffling that we still have people who haven’t the ability to figure out the concept of entering a backlog of ratings. It seems like every time we get a rater who joins and enters a large backlog in a short period of time that we have posts questioning the legitimacy, even when it’s obvious from the ratings that they’re legit.

Now, I can understand being curious about how KP entered that quickly, but from the sounds of it, he’s been getting the more skeptical comments as well. Personally, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a thread yet.

 
beerinator
places 4 º 18:16 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by aracauna
Now, I can understand being curious about how KP entered that quickly, but from the sounds of it, he’s been getting the more skeptical comments as well. Personally, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a thread yet.


This one happened this morning. I seem to remember a few others already too.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Forums/Topic-74195.htm

 
wetherel
beers 2236 º places 114 º 18:21 Tue 9/11/2007

Can you write a program to transfer ratings, and wants/cellar from RB to the other beer site? Is it OK for me to ask that here or start a new thread? If many people started using that program, there would probably be quick morph of top ratings.

 
JFURYCAT
beers 1078 º places 37 º 19:07 Tue 9/11/2007

Originally posted by wetherel
Can you write a program to transfer ratings, and wants/cellar from RB to the other beer site? Is it OK for me to ask that here or start a new thread? If many people started using that program, there would probably be quick morph of top ratings.


You mean beerpal? ;) How could you convert, given the differences in rating systems? Convert "overall" to "drinkability?" I’m not sure that’s possible. I also have a feeling the other site isn’t fond of bots (if you mean beerpal, I’m not sure with that one but the one with the Bros would probably be POd?).

 
fly
beers 1490 º places 273 º 19:12 Tue 9/11/2007

I still think he did it with smoke and mirrors.

not buying that upload load of crap.

 
jbrus
beers 4987 º places 168 º 06:15 Wed 9/12/2007

Kind of stupid doing that. I just threw away most of my pre-ratebeer ratings after entering 500 or so and started all over. This way I had a good excuse to drink them again.

 
Angeloregon
beers 2055 º places 11 º 13:28 Mon 1/7/2008

Originally posted by csbosox
Can you design a program to upload my ratings from various notebooks, napkins, beer coasters, and scraps of paper?
I enjoy reading some of your ratings. I don’t really care about how you do it, but I respect the ingeniuty. I spent last month transcribing beer notes from the last year to put on this site. My only regret is that I didn’t take more notes.