things I like about the bjcp style guidelines

Reads 4371 • Replies 22 • Started Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:54:48 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JoeMcPhee
beers 12091 º places 543 º 21:30 Tue 11/20/2007

Originally posted by aledrinker
Originally posted by awaisanen
Originally posted by Degarth
As it is now it is up to individual judges to break the rules and reward beers that don’t fit written guidelines, but do taste amazing or may be more historically accurate.

Exactly. The BJCP doesn’t judge beers. People do, which can be quite unfortunate at times. Ron’s postings are amusing from a sarcastic point of view, but also a bit disenchanted. The average judge doesn’t even have the credentials that the BJCP requests, which is apparently a standard open to much debate and critism. That being said, it takes a lot of work and study to become BJCP certified, and the typical judge doesn’t even live up to these "meager" standards (being that many homebrew judges aren’t even BJCP certified). I’m sure Ron could do an great job judging beer, but realistically, we can’t expect experts to appear for the judging of every style, every sub-style, ore even every competition. All we can do is hope and push for continuing beer education and improvement in judging processes. I consider this site to be a wonderful resource, but I have to filter everything I read here. I certainly don’t think it would be better to reduce the input down to the sources I trust the most. And at the end of the day, the BJCP is just a means for classifying beers in AHA competitions. It gives people that know basically nothing about beer some guidelines to shoot for. I’m all for the addition and revision of styles to keep as up-to-date as possible, but this doesn’t mean that the judges will be able to keep pace with the changes. So it all comes back to personal preference. What’s the big deal?

The big deal is that this sight is for furthering good beer. And it does a great job at that except for the few blowhards who constantly tear down others like Ronp. Pattinson, what you are doing is counterproductive. Rpattinson does nothing but push his bullshit foreign beer/pub agenda, and like the other guy said, piss off Americans. Bashing the BJCP when he proudly claims to be a member of CAMRA??? Ha! Too funny. Fuck off.

Generally, we don’t tell people to F*%& off here. You want to do that, go back to the playground.

Probiere
beers 992 º places 46 º 22:23 Tue 11/20/2007

Originally posted by aledrinker
Originally posted by awaisanen
Originally posted by Degarth
As it is now it is up to individual judges to break the rules and reward beers that don’t fit written guidelines, but do taste amazing or may be more historically accurate.

Exactly. The BJCP doesn’t judge beers. People do, which can be quite unfortunate at times. Ron’s postings are amusing from a sarcastic point of view, but also a bit disenchanted. The average judge doesn’t even have the credentials that the BJCP requests, which is apparently a standard open to much debate and critism. That being said, it takes a lot of work and study to become BJCP certified, and the typical judge doesn’t even live up to these "meager" standards (being that many homebrew judges aren’t even BJCP certified). I’m sure Ron could do an great job judging beer, but realistically, we can’t expect experts to appear for the judging of every style, every sub-style, ore even every competition. All we can do is hope and push for continuing beer education and improvement in judging processes. I consider this site to be a wonderful resource, but I have to filter everything I read here. I certainly don’t think it would be better to reduce the input down to the sources I trust the most. And at the end of the day, the BJCP is just a means for classifying beers in AHA competitions. It gives people that know basically nothing about beer some guidelines to shoot for. I’m all for the addition and revision of styles to keep as up-to-date as possible, but this doesn’t mean that the judges will be able to keep pace with the changes. So it all comes back to personal preference. What’s the big deal?

The big deal is that this sight is for furthering good beer. And it does a great job at that except for the few blowhards who constantly tear down others like Ronp. Pattinson, what you are doing is counterproductive. Rpattinson does nothing but push his bullshit foreign beer/pub agenda, and like the other guy said, piss off Americans. Bashing the BJCP when he proudly claims to be a member of CAMRA??? Ha! Too funny. Fuck off.

Dude, lay off the weed and ’roids. Paranoia + aggression = asshole.