Ticks = ratings ???

Reads 7883 • Replies 74 • Started Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:10:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeardedAvenger
beers 7316 º places 596 º 08:05 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by sloth
Showing 2999 rates on my account now. 2931 in the forums.

That's if you're on a mobile. Mine is showing 1475 rates on my profile, however on my laptop it's showing 1061 ratings and 414 [old] ticks.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 10:01 Thu 11/2/2017

Originally posted by BeardedAvenger
Originally posted by sloth
Showing 2999 rates on my account now. 2931 in the forums.

That's if you're on a mobile. Mine is showing 1475 rates on my profile, however on my laptop it's showing 1061 ratings and 414 [old] ticks.

Appears so for now. Growing pains i guess.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 20:32 Sat 11/4/2017

So, if i delete all my ticks will my numbers return to normal? I gotta do something, driving me nuts.

Viper666.Qc
beers 10517 º places 11 º 21:24 Sat 11/4/2017

We need 3 separate folders: Ratings (reviews ticks), Reviews only and Ticks only

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 21:36 Sat 11/4/2017

Originally posted by Viper666
We need 3 separate folders: Ratings (reviews ticks), Reviews only and Ticks only

No, we don't. We need text to be optional, and everything counts the same. Then we get user volume, which gets us a more current database, more active forums, more trading, maybe more premium fees to give us more tech support, more reviews (yes, many will be ticks - that's okay). When you search for a beer, list the ones with 75 characters or whatever first so we can easily see the text we want to see, and put the tick-only scores below those. Honestly, who has time to read more than 5-10 full reviews anyway (in typical settings) - we don't need to be batting 1.000 on reviews with 75 characters. Most of them read pretty similarly anyway, after you've read a handful.

No, that doesn't make us Untappd. It makes us better, because 1) we still have a history of doing full reviews and many still will, 2) we have stats and maps, and 3) we have forums. With more user volume, this would give us a chance to compete on database completeness vs. UT, and extend our advantages on the stats (vs. both UT and BA), and compete (vs. BA) / extend (vs. UT) on the forums front.

In crowd-sourced amateur reviews, volume matters. A lot. We need it.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 02:37 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by BVery

No, we don't. We need text to be optional, and everything counts the same. Then we get user volume, which gets us a more current database, more active forums, more trading, maybe more premium fees to give us more tech support, more reviews (yes, many will be ticks - that's okay). When you search for a beer, list the ones with 75 characters or whatever first so we can easily see the text we want to see, and put the tick-only scores below those. Honestly, who has time to read more than 5-10 full reviews anyway (in typical settings) - we don't need to be batting 1.000 on reviews with 75 characters. Most of them read pretty similarly anyway, after you've read a handful.

No, that doesn't make us Untappd. It makes us better, because 1) we still have a history of doing full reviews and many still will, 2) we have stats and maps, and 3) we have forums. With more user volume, this would give us a chance to compete on database completeness vs. UT, and extend our advantages on the stats (vs. both UT and BA), and compete (vs. BA) / extend (vs. UT) on the forums front.

Nicely put

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 03:46 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Nicely put

I'd rather see Viper666's idea come to life but I think that -unfortunately- BVery is right and the only way to get the volume we need is to say that thoughtless ticks are equal of thought through ratings / reviews. A sad thing to conclude but it appears there's no other way.

BVery
beers 13631 º places 750 º 06:04 Sun 11/5/2017

Benzai, I don't love my conclusion either, but it is my conclusion based on what I'm observing. I think the upside outweighs the downside.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 07:10 Sun 11/5/2017

Benzai, I don't love my conclusion either, but it is my conclusion based on what I'm observing. I think the upside outweighs the downside.

Yes I agree.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 09:34 Sun 11/5/2017

Originally posted by Benzai

I'd rather see Viper666's idea come to life but I think that -unfortunately- BVery is right and the only way to get the volume we need is to say that thoughtless ticks are equal of thought through ratings / reviews. A sad thing to conclude but it appears there's no other way.

Why do you assume a Tick is thoughtless, many may be, but many others may not be
There many things that can be critisised looked down on.

What you rated a beer while eating
Oh you rated a pale lager after a stout
what you rated from a 2oz pour
oh you rated more than 10 beers

Its easy to pick holes in other