Tired Hands - Blinded by the Light that Spills

Reads 4754 • Replies 72 • Started Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:54:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

northernbrews
beers 50 º places 15 º 04:09 Wed 3/20/2013

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-pale-ale/420/4850/

I’ve tried both Stone Pale Ale and Tired Hands - Light that Spills and they’re not even in the same universe. Maybe its time to re-rate that Stone ;)

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 04:17 Wed 3/20/2013

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 04:26 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by northernbrews
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-pale-ale/420/4850/

I’ve tried both Stone Pale Ale and Tired Hands - Light that Spills and they’re not even in the same universe. Maybe its time to re-rate that Stone ;)

Hah. I knew someone would do that, Jeff. When did I rate that? Back in 2002 or 2003. Even guys who are brand-spanking-new to the ratebeer scene nowadays have been exposed to a wide array of great craft beer choices for several years.

Back in 1992, that wasn’t the case. There was only so much available on the shelves back then. Truthfully, though, I’d still score Stone Pale Ale higher than Light that Spills. Hey man, it’s a totally subjective measure on a totally subjective site.

If folks want to go back and question my early ratings, they can. Folks can go back and dissect my ratings over the past six months and find plenty of inconsistencies, but that still wouldn’t change the fact that anyone scoring this beer over a 3.8 is a muppet.

Even Hill Farmstead Life Without Principle #1 was scoring a 4.45 with only about 17 rates. I went to rate it and was like, WTF? Seriously? It’s a freaking blonde ale. You can dress it up in 7" high heels, fishnet stockings and a black mini-skirt, but it’s still a freaking blonde ale. It’s the best blonde ale I’ve ever drank, but it’s still a freaking blonde ale.

... and after a while, that 4.45 average fell to a much more realistic 3.85 with a weighted average of 3.68.

The same will happen with this pale ale, because regardless of who brewed it, it’s still... well... ummm... it’s still just a pale ale. It’s a thirst-quencher, not a work of art. In the summer, I’d buy it by the case if it were available in bottles.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 04:35 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
It’s definitely a softer pale ale, but i did find it exceptional in its balance and juicy, soft palate. In fact, I preferred it much more day after I initially opened it so maybe it just needed some time to settle from its journey south. I can see why brewers find it annoying when we start threads like this about beers we have very little true experience with. Most of our ratings are imperfect for this reason; we try a beer at tasting and think we have a grip on it. I know the Miami Heat are on fire, but why you trying to throw flames here E-man?

Don’t get me started on the HEAT. I’m 5’8" with a 2" vertical leap and I’m feeling like I could dunk a basketball right now.

No, seriously, it was a well-cared-for fresh growler. Fresh enough anyway. I try a lot of stuff from growlers that people ship down here. It’s just that when I went to enter my score for this beer from my ridiculous backlog, I just couldn’t believe the average score for it.

I get your point though and (as always) it’s a good one.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 04:45 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by blipp
This is how I felt when I tried this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-city-grandmas-funky-sour-berry/140701/1/2/

To this day, I would still have sex with that beer... or at least spoon it.

You know how you get together with a couple other beer buddies and open seven bottles of hyped-up beers, and out of those seven, there is at least one that you agree to disagree about and move on? This is one of those times. ;-)

JAXSON
beers 612 º places 4 º 04:51 Wed 3/20/2013

They have the most pretentious beer names; they read like Beatnick poem titles.

callmemickey
beers 4561 º places 47 º 07:03 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by hopscotch
Hey man, it’s a totally subjective measure on a totally subjective site.

That’s why I don’t understand your compulsion to start this thread

FrumptyDumpty
07:06 Wed 3/20/2013

Yeah man fuck blonde ales and pale ales. If it isn’t sour/imperial/barrel aged then no way should it ever be rated over a 3.5!!!!!

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 07:47 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by callmemickey
Hey man, it’s a totally subjective measure on a totally subjective site.

That’s why I don’t understand your compulsion to start this thread

+1

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 07:51 Wed 3/20/2013

it’s still just a pale ale. It’s a thirst-quencher, not a work of art.

I think that’s the beauty of a lot of these non-huge, sometimes even small beers.

There aren’t domineering flavors. You can see interplay. You can see obvious elements, usually aromatic, that in big beers are completely overshadowed by more common components.

And if you aren’t drinking them fresh, and they are not soured, you’re probably missing it. Get your butt up there!