Economics of beer

Reads 1204 • Replies 28 • Started Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:40:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

finn1918
beers 241 º places 12 º 13:40 Thu 2/14/2013

Anyone ever think about their beer purchasing from an economic standpoint? I am sure that most of you are familiar with the foundation of economics:

Your money is best spent on what, dollar for dollar, gives you the most enjoyment.

Let’s apply this to beer. In Georgia, the cheapest beer per serving (let’s standardize at 12 oz/ 355 ml) is Schlitz and Genesee at $12.99 for a 30-pack. That’s roughly comparable to a bomber of mid-high quality beer, like Stone Vertical/Anniversary/Double Bastard, Chimay Blue, and most Lost Abbey, Mikkeller, and DFH beers. So, the same price gets you 30 servings of beer or 2 servings. 15:1 volume ratio. So, if you enjoy a glass of Schlitz 1/14th as much as a glass of Lost Abbey, the clear choice is that you will get more enjoyment out of your Schlitz. If you enjoy your Genny 1/16th as much as your Stone, the clear choice is to go with Stone.

From that standpoint, it isn’t hard to understand that so many people stick to their bland, refreshing macro lagers, although the caveat is that at most bars the price:volume ratio of these same beers would be at most 3:1.

bhensonb
beers 21943 º places 678 º 13:46 Thu 2/14/2013

Actually I suspect many of the folks are maxing their blitzed potential. At 4.5% Bud Light takes about 4 bottles to match a decent bomber at 9%. So roughly they can get more than twice as blitzed for their buck with the crap. Without having to tolerate anything with taste.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 13:57 Thu 2/14/2013

Yeah but it’s not only about getting blitzed. Some brewers only sell certain offerings in 12 packs and I say they can pound sand. My most recent experience is with southern tier.

So far their best offering (that I have tried) is that Unearthly which is available in a 22 oz size for over $7 or in a pretty expensive case that also contains iniquity and this beer 2XIPA. Too bad for them because I wouldn’t buy iniquity or 2XIPA again. Why put up with 8 beers you don’t want to get 4 that you do? IBC puts out flower power in a 6 pack and for hops that’s one of the best beers I have ever had. For IPA in general there’s so many other companies that put their beer in a 6 pack. Lagunitas, Victory, Sierra Nevada . . .

potbeerjob
beers 1343 º places 21 º 13:57 Thu 2/14/2013

In colorado craft 6pks average 9.49/8.99 and often are on sale for 7.49 pr even 6.99, while the cheapest macro lager 30pk averages 17/18 with sale prices at 14/15 ( and a bud light 18 pk costs 14.99). My point is theres better ratios in colorado and maybe thats a reason there are so many obsessed beer geeks here (and other beer centric states).

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 13:59 Thu 2/14/2013

I think people drink their cheaper beer because they like it, not because its cheaper. I use to drink a lot of coors light because I liked it. I would drink it in the shower, after class, after work, at bars, etc. because to me, at that time, it was a good beer.

b3shine
beers 12178 º places 372 º 14:16 Thu 2/14/2013

You’re assuming that people on this site drink for the buzz, which doesn’t accurately reflect the sentiment of the average Ratebeerian.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 14:26 Thu 2/14/2013

Originally posted by b3shine
You’re assuming that people on this site drink for the buzz, which doesn’t accurately reflect the sentiment of the average Ratebeerian.

Yep! I hate getting buzzed. It means I can’t tick as much and have to stop drinking. If I never got buzzed, I’d have a lot more ticks on RB. Worth it. If someone can make a 2% ABV stout, bring it!

Jimthechap
beers 2057 º places 51 º 14:27 Thu 2/14/2013

I would argue that the economic view is slightly flawed by the changeability of preference. The beer I hanker for will change by time of day, day of the week, season, weather and mood. Some times are marked by the suitability of cold, fizzy, flavourless lager and a pint of rich, hoppy pale ale just would not do.
A good beer fridge is a full one, but I also aim for variety.

javit
14:32 Thu 2/14/2013

Originally posted by adamjackson
Originally posted by b3shine

Yep! I hate getting buzzed. It means I can’t tick as much and have to stop drinking. If I never got buzzed, I’d have a lot more ticks on RB. Worth it. If someone can make a 2% ABV stout, bring it!

DING much?

IcebergShorty
14:45 Thu 2/14/2013

I like to get buzzed. Ticking is pointless.

kmweaver
beers 3208 º places 116 º 14:52 Thu 2/14/2013

I haven’t bought many bombers since writing this.