Shaker = Pint?

Reads 2193 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:43:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Elwood
beers 3347 º places 108 º 07:43 Thu 6/20/2013

Does anyone know how the shaker glass came to be described as a "pint"? Because it obviously isn’t. Hell, it barely holds 12 oz. I even see beer listed as "16 oz." in bars served in shaker glasses.

Lowenbrau
beers 5865 º places 432 º 07:51 Thu 6/20/2013

Here in Spain some places offer "American Pint" (47cl glass)and "British Pint" (56cl). For the american one you get a shaker...

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 07:55 Thu 6/20/2013

The shaker is familiar, that’s for sure. I don’t care for it because the mouth is too wide. It may be a misperception but I think the head falls too fast in them. I like the nonic pint or the stange.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:19 Thu 6/20/2013

Shaker has become synonymous with pint glass in America.

GothGargoyle
beers 2587 º places 17 º 09:49 Thu 6/20/2013

Such a pity that the shaker is becoming so predominant. You know what (craft) beers benefit from being served in a shaker? Absolutely none. It has poor head retention and encourages the aroma to dissipate as quickly as possible.

Bars like it because it is hard to break and somewhat stackable. Still, I find it odd that some bars that promote themselves as being "passionate about craft beer" serve every single beer style in shakers. What I hate even more is when their taster flights come in shot glasses (effectively min shakers) filled to the brim.

What really confounds me is the number of great craft breweries that sell logo shaker glasses. Guess they are pandering to the masses that equate "beer glass" with shaker.

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 12:56 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by GothGargoyle
What really confounds me is the number of great craft breweries that sell logo shaker glasses.

This one gets me too - many respected craft brewers do this.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 13:23 Thu 6/20/2013

Such a pity that the shaker is becoming so predominant. You know what (craft) beers benefit from being served in a shaker? Absolutely none. It has poor head retention and encourages the aroma to dissipate as quickly as possible.

Bars like it because it is hard to break and somewhat stackable. Still, I find it odd that some bars that promote themselves as being "passionate about craft beer" serve every single beer style in shakers. What I hate even more is when their taster flights come in shot glasses (effectively min shakers) filled to the brim.

What really confounds me is the number of great craft breweries that sell logo shaker glasses. Guess they are pandering to the masses that equate "beer glass" with shaker.

They work great as water glasses. I use them at home all the time for that purpose.

jsquire
beers 6960 º places 321 º 14:56 Thu 6/20/2013

The normal shaker is 16oz right to the lip. No room for head. One of the local places here sells them at "the 16oz" and fills it as full as they can, but that is not how to present a nice beer.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 15:05 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by jsquire
The normal shaker is 16oz right to the lip. No room for head. One of the local places here sells them at "the 16oz" and fills it as full as they can, but that is not how to present a nice beer.

THIS. I get tired of having to ask people that serve a supposed pint to "top it off, please’. I mean, over an inch from the top when the greatest volume is at the top means that the fill is between 12 & 14 oz.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 15:06 Thu 6/20/2013

Originally posted by Cletus

They work great as water glasses. I use them at home all the time for that purpose.

This. I serve all water, juice, and pop in shakers.

finn1918
beers 241 º places 12 º 05:52 Fri 6/21/2013

Originally posted by after4ever
Originally posted by Cletus

This. I serve all water, juice, and pop in shakers.

My parents got me a "craft beer glass gift set" for christmas one year that came with a shaker. I used it for beer once, and the shape somehow psychologically made me take only big gulps. I then used it only for water and soda until it broke in the dishwasher. At least the rest of the glasses were a decent quality.