Beer Snob Bingo

Reads 6381 • Replies 22 • Started Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:25:58 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 14:06 Fri 3/23/2007

Originally posted by tripelthreat

Or if someone is being a pretentious ass just to show off.

Let me ask you guys, in such a context does ’ass’ make you picture a donkey or a person’s rear end?

Because I really think in this bright age some people don’t picture the donkey. Perhaps they’ve never seen a hooved mammal, because they are staring at something else all the time.

MPA
beers 1440 º places 6 º 09:44 Sat 3/24/2007

Sent in the following but I’m not sure they’ll publish it...
----------------------
You need to sober up, stop complaining and upload those cards instead of complaining about beer snobs. I haven’t met more than a few, and the few I’ve met don’t really spend a lot of time on beer anyway. Beer geeks on the other hand...plenty of them, but they never come across as being snobs or condescending about people drinking regular lager beers or not using the same terminology as they do among eachother. Beer geeks like discussing beer as beer writers like to write about it. And where on Earth would you be as a beer writer were it not for the same beer geeks and people interested in reading about beer as well as drinking it.? So stop writing about it and drink it, if it’s so bad to be using "flamboyant language"! Have you not yourself used such language? "Lager is the opium of the masses, the last bastion of the scoundrel, fizz that fuels Friday night fisticuffs." or what about " Cloves, cut-grass, bananas, bonbons, pears, parsnips, spice and straw – they can all be found in amongst the bubbles and brimming head of a glorious, thirst-quenching lager." or "And now, a few years on, the gauntlet has been picked up by a number of smaller English brewers who are wrestling lager out of the hands of the big boys and emancipating this downtrodden beer style from the shackles of misconception." as found here http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=52036. It makes up pretty good writing to me, but then again; I’m one of the geeks myself. But the usage of "flamboyant language" is definately present in your own writings. So call a good beer a good beer, drink it and shut up!
This article comes across as being hypocritical and redundant. Now, let’s see those cards!!!
------------------------
What a tw*t!

MP

MPA
beers 1440 º places 6 º 06:03 Wed 3/28/2007

With 3 people now asking about the damn cards and nothing being done about it, I’m now flippin’ the brid on Ben McFarland and The Publican for being a bunch of laze a**sholes, that lure ppeople into reading their crap with false promises...

....wait...that’s not the bird...why is there no birds in here???

MP

KnutAlbert
beers 6850 º places 361 º 08:16 Wed 3/28/2007

I e-mailed them, and the bingo cards are up now.

maeib
beers 8749 º places 12 º 08:21 Wed 3/28/2007

I’m bringing them to chris_o’s house on Saturday.

Should be a giggle

I’ve used a fair few of those phrases myself. But "rain on tarmac" WTF?

Superhoop
07:45 Wed 4/4/2007

Hello all,

Ben McFarland here. It’s good fun reading all your comments and I take them all on board (although calling me a tw@t seems a harsh reaction to a light-hearted article) - still, invigorating debate is what this is all about eh?

The point I was trying to make, and I’ve obviously struggled to do so judging by the reaction, is that beer snobs are damaging beer’s appeal by taking it too seriously.

Anyone and everyone can drink and afford the best beer in the world (pretty much) and therein lies the beauty of the stuff. I’ve written about all alcoholic drinks from Absinthe to Zinfandel yet I’ve always enjoyed beer events the most thanks to the lack of pretentiousness.

However, in recent times, an unmistakable snobbery has definitely crept in and this only serves to put potential drinkers off - which is no good for beer’s fortunes.

I hold my hands up by saying that I’ve fired some seriously ornate bullets from my wordy gun in the past - I like to think it makes it more of an entertaining read. But this is done only in the name of encouraging people to try new beers, to demystify different styles and to generally undermine the perception of beer as a clique-ridden world where an in depth knowledge of yeast strains and grundy tank measurements is by no means a pre-requisite for enjoyment.

Despite being fortunate enough to win a couple of journalstic gongs, I don’t for one minute feel that my views on a beer are any more valid than those of someone else and, belive me, I welcome any "competition" - beer could do with more writers singing its praises.

Beer should be fun and any efforts to find out more about what’s in the glass should be applauded,. However, when passion wanders into the realms of snobbery and superiority, it merely serves to alienate and intimidate the uninitiated - beer can ill afford to do this, don’t you think?

Beer Snob Bingo is a light-hearted antidote to those who use "beer appreciation" as a vehicle for their own fragile egos.

Ben

p.s. The technical difficulties encountered on the publican website had nothing to do wiith me so, well, you can have your bird back if you don’t mind.

theisti
beers 5296 º places 1154 º 08:40 Wed 4/4/2007

Originally posted by Superhoop
Anyone and everyone can drink and afford the best beer in the world (pretty much) and therein lies the beauty of the stuff. I’ve written about all alcoholic drinks from Absinthe to Zinfandel yet I’ve always enjoyed beer events the most thanks to the lack of pretentiousness.

Thanks for the post Ben. I very much agree with this part of your post. One of the big reasons I moved from wine to beer was the fact that I could fairly easily acquire the world’s best beers, without shelling out 10,000’s of dollars at auction. Additionally, it’s not terribly expensive (relative to wine) for new producers to start up, so there is a constant edge of innovation in the industry.

TheBeerSommelier
08:46 Wed 4/4/2007

Hello all,

Ben McFarland here. It’s good fun reading all your comments and I take them all on board (although calling me a tw@t seems a harsh reaction to a light-hearted article) - still, invigorating debate is what this is all about eh?

The point I was trying to make, and I’ve obviously struggled to do so judging by the reaction, is that beer snobs are damaging beer’s appeal by taking it too seriously.

However, in recent times, an unmistakable snobbery has definitely crept in and this only serves to put potential drinkers off - which is no good for beer’s fortunes.

I hold my hands up by saying that I’ve fired some seriously ornate bullets from my wordy gun in the past - I like to think it makes it more of an entertaining read. But this is done only in the name of encouraging people to try new beers, to demystify different styles and to generally undermine the perception of beer as a clique-ridden world where an in depth knowledge of yeast strains and grundy tank measurements is by no means a pre-requisite for enjoyment.

Despite being fortunate enough to win a couple of journalstic gongs, I don’t for one minute feel that my views on a beer are any more valid than those of someone else and, belive me, I welcome any "competition" - beer could do with more writers singing its praises.

Beer should be fun and any efforts to find out more about what’s in the glass should be applauded,. However, when passion wanders into the realms of snobbery and superiority, it merely serves to alienate and intimidate the uninitiated - beer can ill afford to do this, don’t you think?

Beer Snob Bingo is a light-hearted antidote to those who use "beer appreciation" as a vehicle for their own fragile egos.

Ben

p.s. The technical difficulties encountered on the publican website had nothing to do wiith me so, well, you can have your bird back if you don’t mind.

Mr. McFarland,

First, the point of this really isn’t invigorating debate...it’s promotion and education about beer. We can debate amongst ourselves with abandon, only because we have familiarity with not only the products and issues discussed, but each other as well. Sentiments, as those you espoused as an outsider (and seemingly uniformed), simply appeared thoughtless and pompous.

And I’ve said this before; in order for the craft beer community to achieve the respect it deserves, it needs to present itself with authority, confidence and competence. You may consider this "snobbery," but the fact is that many people consider beer lovers somewhat less than those descriptors I used above. So, in order to promote the craft properly, and combat that "Joe Sixpack" image, my opinion is that we need to necessarily appear as educated and passionate as possible...at least to the level of our compatriots strolling the wine aisles.

That said, if this was your true feeling, why didn’t you just write so in your article? Do you really think your article attracted more positive attention as written? I doubt it.

But thank you for at least addressing us personally.

jbrus
beers 4986 º places 168 º 10:31 Wed 4/4/2007

I kind of loved your story actually. When people hear I’m a beersnob they approache me immediately like I’m some wine-master and are afraid to name any beer they like. I always reply more or less like you did ’Shut up and drink what you like. Although I’m a geek, you can still just enjoy yours. But if you really want some advice, I could give it a try.’.

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 10:41 Wed 4/4/2007

The guy sounds like he needs to be run over perhaps. In making such an artical as that is just contradictory to the whole point. And what the fuck is a beer writer of the year thinking about in saying just shut up and drink it, the fool should be sacked.