Really bad news

Reads 13053 • Replies 68 • Started Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:59:16 AM CT

Thread Frozen
 
erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 07:59 Sat 9/15/2007

While this will be of concern to a lot of homebrewers, it will affect us all.

Today we got word from 2 suppliers about crops. NOT GOOD!
Hopunion has sold out of it’s 2007 crop of Amarillo, Simcoe, Centtenial and Czech Saaz! They are gone for contracts by breweries. Way under production this year. For homebrewers, this means that either you won’t be able to get a lot of them, or you will pay through the teeth for it.
From Brewer’s Supply Group we have found out that barley crops in continental Europe were crap this year and as such Weyerman, Durst, Castle, Dingemans, F-B, and Moravian Pils malts will be going up 75%...75%

Now, I have contacted hopsdirect...and they have not gotten back to me...That was yesterday at ~2:00. No I do not think that this speaks to their customer service. But when somebody calls your company in the interest of signing a multi-thousand $$$ contract with you, calling them back is ussually what you want to do...unless you have nothing for them.

I jsut checked...2006 crops of Cascade are going for over $10/lb...that’s double...not a good sign.

What does thie mean for everyone? Some styles (DIPAs come to mind) will either not be produced nearly as much, or they will sky-rocket in price, and all beers will have to go up in $$$ by a good amount. A lot of brewers will have to stop using German malts for this year at least.

For those that like some of the finer imports, while the price will only go up a small %age (shipping is the main cost, not malt), it will become a lot harder to get certain brands. If you can’t buy the malt, you can’t produce the beer.

Our hobby could have just gotten quite a bit more expensive.

 
rudolf
beers 2360 º places 104 º 08:17 Sat 9/15/2007

So I should run to the LHBS and grab a few sacks of grain right now, eh?

Whats the best way to store grain long-term? Just an airtight container.

-rudy

 
rudolf
beers 2360 º places 104 º 08:21 Sat 9/15/2007

Originally posted by rudolf
So I should run to the LHBS and grab a few sacks of grain right now, eh?

Whats the best way to store grain long-term? Just an airtight container.

-rudy



That was a question, not a statement. "Just an airtight container?"

-rudy

 
erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:30 Sat 9/15/2007

Originally posted by erway
While this will be of concern to a lot of homebrewers, it will affect us all.

Today we got word from 2 suppliers about crops. NOT GOOD!
Hopunion has sold out of it’s 2007 crop of Amarillo, Simcoe, Centtenial and Czech Saaz! They are gone for contracts by breweries. Way under production this year. For homebrewers, this means that either you won’t be able to get a lot of them, or you will pay through the teeth for it.
From Brewer’s Supply Group we have found out that barley crops in continental Europe were crap this year and as such Weyerman, Durst, Castle, Dingemans, F-B, and Moravian Pils malts will be going up 75%...75%

Now, I have contacted hopsdirect...and they have not gotten back to me...That was yesterday at ~2:00. No I do not think that this speaks to their customer service. But when somebody calls your company in the interest of signing a multi-thousand $$$ contract with you, calling them back is ussually what you want to do...unless you have nothing for them.

I jsut checked...2006 crops of Cascade are going for over $10/lb...that’s double...not a good sign.

What does thie mean for everyone? Some styles (DIPAs come to mind) will either not be produced nearly as much, or they will sky-rocket in price, and all beers will have to go up in $$$ by a good amount. A lot of brewers will have to stop using German malts for this year at least.

For those that like some of the finer imports, while the price will only go up a small %age (shipping is the main cost, not malt), it will become a lot harder to get certain brands. If you can’t buy the malt, you can’t produce the beer.

Our hobby could have just gotten quite a bit more expensive.


Here’s something that should bring tears to all of our eyes. Not only is this bad for us...this is someone’s livelihood and if they can’t pay the bills, they’ll stop growing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBfPjqb8aQ

 
erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:31 Sat 9/15/2007

Originally posted by rudolf
Originally posted by rudolf
So I should run to the LHBS and grab a few sacks of grain right now, eh?

Whats the best way to store grain long-term? Just an airtight container.

-rudy



That was a question, not a statement. "Just an airtight container?"

-rudy



Your guess is as good as mine.

 
erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:37 Sat 9/15/2007

I’ll keep on posting as I get news, so sorry if I keep on posting. Barley crops in America are at their lowest in 30 years according to Briess and GW. Subsidies for ethanol producing corn have made it so there are very few malting variety barley growers in America.

The BA brewers forum is a buzz of brewers worried about having to produce a lot more milds and bitters.

You want brewers to stay in buisiness? You want to be able to afford these fine beers that you’ve grown to love???


CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN TODAY!

 
aracauna
beers 3651 º places 88 º 09:09 Sat 9/15/2007

I’ve been wanting to quit my job. I was thinking about opening a bakery in town (I’ve got to master cakes first), but maybe I should take over the family land and just grow two-row barley for malting. Sounds like I could get a decent price off of it.

Don’t know how well barley grows this close to Florida, though. You’ll see winter wheat crops, but I’ve never seen a non-corn, non-hay summer grass crop here.

 
Ofortuna
beers 322 º places 12 º 09:21 Sat 9/15/2007

Originally posted by erway
I’ll keep on posting as I get news, so sorry if I keep on posting.


Don’t be sorry! Please keep posting!

We need someone to keep us abreast of the industry and remind us all how events like the one’s you described can have a major impact on each of us individually.

Now, if I could only call a broker to speculate on grain futures.....

 
BBB63
beers 6557 º places 146 º 10:11 Sat 9/15/2007

Originally posted by erway
While this will be of concern to a lot of homebrewers, it will affect us all.

Today we got word from 2 suppliers about crops. NOT GOOD!
Hopunion has sold out of it’s 2007 crop of Amarillo, Simcoe, Centtenial and Czech Saaz!
From Brewer’s Supply Group we have found out that barley crops in continental Europe were crap this year and as such Weyerman, Durst, Castle, Dingemans, F-B, and Moravian Pils malts will be going up 75%...75%

What does thie mean for everyone? Some styles (DIPAs come to mind) will either not be produced nearly as much, or they will sky-rocket in price, and all beers will have to go up in $$$ by a good amount. A lot of brewers will have to stop using German malts for this year at least.

For those that like some of the finer imports, while the price will only go up a small %age (shipping is the main cost, not malt), it will become a lot harder to get certain brands. If you can’t buy the malt, you can’t produce the beer.

Our hobby could have just gotten quite a bit more expensive.


I know of one brewer this could impact big time since he uses Durst malts and Saaz hops in many of his lagers.

You are right about the reduction of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial hops impact on not only big IIPA and IPA’s but those new breed hoppy Reds and Porters could be not seen for a while.

I think A-B is behind this as a last gasp effort to kill the microbrewing industry. -- Today’s conspiracy theory

 
newtobrewing
10:44 Sat 9/15/2007


Here’s something that should bring tears to all of our eyes. Not only is this bad for us...this is someone’s livelihood and if they can’t pay the bills, they’ll stop growing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBfPjqb8aQ





thats enough to make a grown man cry! i am in production ag in the US and have had devestating storm wipe out a crop- terrible feeling. but you suck it up, tighten the belt a notch tighter, and try again.

 
3fourths
beers 9357 º places 1569 º 10:44 Sat 9/15/2007

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

The western drought has beem a problem for quite a while now.