Traditional german food in Berlin

Reads 2109 • Replies 29 • Started Monday, January 9, 2017 2:08:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:39 Fri 1/13/2017

Eisbein with mashed potatoes comes to mind as "Berliner". Fuck Currywurst.

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 06:27 Wed 2/1/2017

The trip is happening this Friday. We are going to Stone pretty much straight from the airport and then we will see what happens after that. Going for a pub crawl on Friday evening and the whole of Saturday.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 04:03 Thu 2/2/2017

Just a thought: From Stone (stop Greinerstr.) you can take Bus 181 to Walter-Schreiber-Platz and walk a few minutes to Foersters Feine Biere, the best pub in the city for a range of traditional German beers (but also some craft).Should take less than 40 minutes including walking.

Muted Horn in Neukölln is a new-ish craft beer bar, great selection and really nice people.

Then Saturday you could choose from Prenzlauer Burg, Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain, which all have clusters of good beer places. Too many to list here, and the RB Places section is not as complete as it should be (I keep meaning to help fix that...). But this might help: http://draftmag.com/welcome-to-berlin/

You probably have a plan already but if you’re looking for something specific, let me know.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 06:27 Thu 2/2/2017

Leber, Berliner Art. Berlin-style veal liver & onions.

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 09:27 Thu 2/2/2017

Thanks for the tips! I have printed the article to read later. I have missed Foersters, will mark it down on my map. We will probably take a taxi though, looked at the example prices online and they looked decent.

Muted Horn is on my list already. :)

I have printed 10 maps från Ratebeer places with different clusters or locations with interesting pubs. Also added the opening times for the most interesting places and also printed a subway map with marks connected to each map. The areas you mentioned is part of this. We are going to visit a mix of places, from craft beer pubs to more traditional brewpubs.

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 02:46 Sat 2/4/2017

Thanks for the tips. We tried Foersters after a visit to Stone last night. Great place! Stone was also amazing, had a short brewery tour and meeting with the brewmaster. Aufsturz wasn’t that impressing though, mostly macro beers. Never tried the food though. We where quite tired after Stone and Foerster last night so went back to Mitte where we are staying. Went by The Pier but it was closed so we walked to BrewDog Bar Berlin (not a place I planned to visit). Very loud and crowded. Tried some decent beers but ended up buying some bottles to go and went back to the appartment instead.

Todays plan is to walk around the center parts and visit some pubs.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 04:19 Mon 2/6/2017

Originally posted by olsvammel
Thanks for the tips. We tried Foersters after a visit to Stone last night. Great place! Stone was also amazing, had a short brewery tour and meeting with the brewmaster. Aufsturz wasn’t that impressing though, mostly macro beers. Never tried the food though. We where quite tired after Stone and Foerster last night so went back to Mitte where we are staying. Went by The Pier but it was closed so we walked to BrewDog Bar Berlin (not a place I planned to visit). Very loud and crowded. Tried some decent beers but ended up buying some bottles to go and went back to the appartment instead.

Todays plan is to walk around the center parts and visit some pubs.

How’d it go on Saturday? Did you discover the Bier & Wurst fest at Markthalle Neun on Sunday?

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 06:52 Tue 2/7/2017

We didn’t have time to visit all the places we wanted. But we ended up visiting a couple of them. Missed the wurst fest, we just packed up, had breakfast and got to the airport on sunday. Some notes, will try to write some place reviews later, will add pictures and stuff to www.olsvammel.se later on. I’m aware that I marked some of these places due to their food but we walked past them anyway so figured we could stop for a beer.

Berliner Republik - Felt more like a macro place with no clear regard for quality, so we only had one beer each and moved on.
Augustiner - A bit touristy but the beer was drinkable. We tried some sausages but they weren’t the best with low meat%. A bit surprised since I’m used to getting nice sausages in Germany.
Das Meisterstuck - Very nice place, loved the atmosphere and the smells. I got a feeling that the food could be pretty good here but we weren’t really hungry. Nice selection as well, but the big drawback was the prices, damn it was even more expensive then swedish pubs. Way higher then any other oub we visited in Berlin.
Hopfenreich - Loved this place, nice beers, nice people, nice atmosphere. Would have stayed longer but we wanted to visit a couple of more places.
Heidenpeters - This was also nice and my father and brother loved it as well. Nice beers and cool to walk around the big indoor marketplace.
Biererei - Cool little shop with a very nice selection of beers. Talked with the owner for a while and had some laughs. Bought a few beers that we brought back to the appartment.
Vagabund - This place was packed but we tried two beers. Both very nice. We would have stayed if we could have gotten a table but decided to move on.
Eschenbräu - Interesting place, felt like a student pub. Very efficient service with a guy walking around taking orders on a phone and someone else rushing out the beer. Decent beer and we had a flammenküchen as well. This was the last stop for us since we where all out of energy and decided to get back to the appartment.

We had a great time in Berlin. Lots of nice pubs and beer.

olsvammel
beers 8486 º places 177 º 08:27 Mon 3/6/2017

I had a beer at Berliner Republik Mit Bierbörse that I can’t find. I’ve tried contacting the pub but no answer. I talked to the girl working there and she said it was called Börsenbier and made by Spandau. Does anybody know what this was? It could be their helles but I want to make sure.