UK beer scene

Reads 48886 • Replies 403 • Started Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:40:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 14:21 Fri 8/27/2010

I don’t know jack shit about the subject, but this is one of the most interesting and informative threads I’ve read in some time.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 14:36 Fri 8/27/2010

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
I don’t know jack shit about the subject, but this is one of the most interesting and informative threads I’ve read in some time.

If you ever make it over to London, we can all meet up for a pint of Greene King IPA and we can all tell you exactly what’s wrong with it. And what is good and bad about the UK beer scene. I really think that the UK is on the edge of something really interesting and the RB people in the UK are always happy to share beers and knowledge. Oh and dumb ass opinions on Scottish and Scotch Ales

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 14:42 Fri 8/27/2010

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by Papsoe
The British admins don’t really recognize any British made beers as IPAs unless it’s made with foreign hops.

Before my time as an admin but I believe the issue stemmed from the fact that Americans didn’t tend to recognize anything that wasn’t made with US hops (or at least had a massive hop presence) as an IPA and British brewers hadn’t really started making strong beers using US hops at the time. Consequently, pretty much anything categorised as an IPA from the UK got poor reviews. Not helped by some British brewers insisting on calling beers IPAs that patently were not by any stretch of the imagination. I guess there is an argument that, if brewers want to call a weak beer with only a modest hop character an IPA they deserve all the bad reviews they get. Of course, however it is categorised on the site, plenty of people will review anything with IPA in the name in accordance with their expectations of the style anyway. Just leaf through some of the Greene King IPA reviews to see that.

Green King just deserve poor reviews! Lovely post, Chris.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 14:44 Fri 8/27/2010

Originally posted by harrisoni

If you ever make it over to London, we can all meet up for a pint of Greene King IPA and we can all tell you exactly what’s wrong with it. And what is good and bad about the UK beer scene. I really think that the UK is on the edge of something really interesting and the RB people in the UK are always happy to share beers and knowledge. Oh and dumb ass opinions on Scottish and Scotch Ales

Spot ON Harrisoni!!

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 14:53 Fri 8/27/2010

Oh and dumb ass opinions on Scottish and Scotch Ales

was that dumb ass opinions on scottish ales and scotch ales

or opinions on dumb ass scottish
and scotch ales

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 14:55 Fri 8/27/2010

Originally posted by SaintMatty
Originally posted by chriso
At the moment the new breweries are just finding their feet, so brewing safe bitters and golden ales

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/old-dairy-hop-top/128986/

At 8.5% ABV shouldn’t this be listed as a Double IPA as the brewery itself suggests?

I’ve entered some beers such as 6% IPA and then noticed that somebody changed the style to an ESB. The beer concerned is certainly strong enough to be considered an IPA, is very hoppy in both the aroma and taste and is even called an IPA.

As a result of this, I pay little attention to the styles of the beers on this site as it begins to get a bit confusing after a while.

The British admins don’t really recognize any British made beers as IPAs unless it’s made with foreign hops. Most are simply Bitters or ESBs. A strong IPA with British hops will most often be listed as an ESA. I understand the confusion - I believe the urge to be different comes from living on a remote island...

Great irony post mate. Great British humour!!

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 15:01 Fri 8/27/2010

The number one reason I would head to the UK would be for the beer and the ratebeerians, know that.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 15:04 Fri 8/27/2010

The number one reason I would head to the UK would be for the beer and the ratebeerians, know that.

just make sure to talk to the Rateberrians and taste the beer

mix that one up and your not gonna have a very good trip

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 15:20 Fri 8/27/2010

Yea i think we have one of the best ratebeer groups in the world, up there with the copenhagen, san diago and florida crews, and we fuckin love drinking. We all have our different backgrounds to beer and this means we have a massive amount of knowledge when we come together.

You should come over sometime and we’ll give you a beery tour up there with the best!

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 16:58 Fri 8/27/2010

Originally posted by wheresthepath
Originally posted by SaintMatty

A few breweries in the UK have attempted to recreate recipes from the 19th century, including some India Pale Ales. Notable examples include:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hopshackle-historic-ipa/106909/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pitfield-1837-india-pale-ale/26369/

Seems to be becoming quite the in thing at the moment. Even Greene King have done one that’s widely available (but probably gopping):

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/greene-king-very-special-india-pale-ale/126139/

The one thing all three have in common? Despite being supposedly authentic IPAs, using authentically English hops, they’re not down as IPAs here! Perhaps the IPA category should more accurately be called Cascadian Pale Ales...

But Meantime IPA is down as an IPA. Although I edited it last that was just to correct a typo - I don’t know who classified it as an IPA. Personally I’d have all those as IPAs because they are genuine attempts to make something historic, or at least nodding in the direction of authenticity (but what do I know). It’s the ones where the brewer wants to trot out all the IPA history blather, then just makes a bitter with maybe a pinch more hops than usual that annoy me.