Wales Places?

Reads 1519 • Replies 26 • Started Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:37:28 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jamesbwxm
10:29 Wed 9/27/2017

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by minutemat
There's a cluster of new breweries in Mold for some reason, Black Brook and Hafod producing more progressive craft-type stuff. Tenby in Pembrokeshire I believe have some sort of bar now.

Any idea what happened to Axiom? I thought they (well, more like he) were going to be doing more "progressive" stuff but, after seeing a few a couple of years back, they seem to have fizzled out somewhat.

Currently sat here with a broken collarbone, can't really brew with that :-)

When I brew I still prefer to keep the beer local, I like going to places and finding different beers rather than finding the usual suspects all over the place.

jamesbwxm
10:32 Wed 9/27/2017

Is this prolific twitterer JamesB's brewery?

Yep, that's the chappie. I think he worked for Pene Coles at Jolly Brewer for a while before she decided to retire, then he set up Axiom. Probably too busy tweeting to get much brewing done.

Close. I was Sandstone rather than Jolly Brewer, albeit still with Pene. I left when that business got sold.

Don't tend to tweet as much these days. Bit bored with the FOMO craftie scene.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 11:58 Wed 9/27/2017

If you find yourself in Mid Wales and fancy some mead you can try this place.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/new-quay-honey-farm/44478/

You can have a look at the meadery and sample the different meads before you buy. I think they had about 8 different ones on my visit.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:41 Wed 9/27/2017

Originally posted by jamesbwxm
There's a cluster of new breweries in Mold for some reason, Black Brook and Hafod producing more progressive craft-type stuff. Tenby in Pembrokeshire I believe have some sort of bar now.

Any idea what happened to Axiom? I thought they (well, more like he) were going to be doing more "progressive" stuff but, after seeing a few a couple of years back, they seem to have fizzled out somewhat.

Currently sat here with a broken collarbone, can't really brew with that :-)

When I brew I still prefer to keep the beer local, I like going to places and finding different beers rather than finding the usual suspects all over the place.

Thanks for the update James. Get well soon.

I know what you mean about the usual suspects. Especially with the number of bandwagon-jumping "craft" beer bars about these days, operated by people who don't know that much about the beer scene so tend to go for the big names. I like to travel around to drink local beers locally too, but there's a limit to the time I have available for it so some places inevitably get neglected. It's probably about 20 years since I last set foot in Wrexham.

jamesbwxm
06:15 Thu 9/28/2017

It's probably about 20 years since I last set foot in Wrexham.

I've been here 17 years, it hasn't changed much!

wheresthepath
beers 3433 º places 275 º 16:27 Thu 9/28/2017

Regarding welsh breweries to visit i believe Wild Horse in Llandudno open weekends. And if ascending Snowdonia from Llanberis (the easiest, but longest route) I highly recommend Pete's Eats cafe

Don't take the Llanberis path up Snowdon whatever you do, it's a completely dull slog. If you've got a good head for heights and plenty of time and it's calm and dry, the Snowdon Horseshoe via Crib Goch is a cracking route. The Watkins Path is one of the prettiest and quietest routes up the mountain but has the most ascent. The Pyg Track/Miners Path circuit is relatively quick and quite varied but also busy (you'll need to be at the car park before 9 most days). It goes without saying that the weather can vary dramatically and unexpectedly on Snowdon, so if you're planning doing it make sure you have the right kit.

Pete's Eats closed before 6 when I was there a few years ago, but there was a cracking curry house next door. Beer options in Llanberis were pretty restricted, don't know if they've improved since. We did get introduced to bar skittles by an elderly local in one of the pubs though.