What beer?

Reads 889 • Replies 4 • Started Monday, October 5, 2015 2:09:35 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AcctError62185
places 1 º 14:09 Mon 10/5/2015

So, in the latest installment of Beckett’s test kitchen I am making filet by mixing bone marrow, butter, duxelle and live and cutting a slot into the filet, stuffing it with the mixture, then glueing the slot shut with transglutaminase. Then sous vide for an hour at 120-125(havent decided exactly) searing and serving on a puff pastry round.

So, normally I would just drink some big ass red wine, but got to thinking, what beer would hold up? My first instinct was blithering idiot barley wine, which I like, but think I need something more complex and robust.

Any thoughts?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:31 Mon 10/5/2015

Honestly, I would just go with the wine.

The more beer pairings I try, the less I think it’s a good idea.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:41 Mon 10/5/2015

Part of the reason, I find, that I don’t like beer pairing with food is that wine has sufficient amounts of acidicty in almost any varietal (or blend) to work with a variety of dishes. Unless you are drinking a sour/tangy beer, you don’t really get that. And I don’t like how the bitterness in beer works with most food either.

There are some exceptions, but generally it’s with light tasting foods and light tasting beers, like some sort of bright, fresh green salad and maybe a nice hefeweizen or saison.

You won’t be reminded of barley wine or a robust red, but maybe something like Bracia? Or maybe something like Traquair Jacobite Ale?

AcctError62185
places 1 º 16:48 Mon 10/5/2015

a wee heavy does make sense actually, just never thought of it