What is up w/ Sam Adams?

Reads 1953 • Replies 27 • Started Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:35:48 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HonusWagner
beers 2248 º places 11 º 22:28 Thu 8/14/2014

Noble Pils was awesome, I haven’t had it in years since I always seem to miss it being released. Boston Lager is pretty damn good and safe bet to be available anywhere, and Octoberfest is pretty good even though it’s not remotely true to style AFAICT. Their limited release series beers have occasionally been quite good, including their Sahti, so I like that they do that. I wish they had to be pushed a bit more to make a kickass IPA and such, but they’re still miles above the Magic Hats of the world.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 00:35 Fri 8/15/2014

Money and passion. Breweries that make a lot of mediocre beer to create revenue can also make some great beer to satisfy that many more people’s craft beer boner. Amsterdam and Great Lakes in Toronto make some horrifying beers, but they also have intelligent really good brewers working there and they get plenty of chance to show it. We living there as drinkers ignore the red leaf lager or natural blonde type shit, and think of these breweries as good brands.

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 02:03 Fri 8/15/2014

hmm. Dont think I have ever had a badly brewed beer from Sam Adams, but had plenty of beers that were far from great, but no flaws in them.

NeoHippie2
beers 1074 º places 51 º 05:27 Fri 8/15/2014

Originally posted by joet
I honestly don’t have time for anyone doing a "decent job" with any beer. There are even moderately high rated beers that I need to pass up in order to get potentially great beers into the pipeline.

If I’m buying Sam Adams, I’m not looking to be blown away. Few to none actually are, I would think. I’m still glad they’re around and pushing more flavor into macro territory.

This is what SA as a brewery has been reduced to. They’re the big micro that helps influence the macros not to be quite so crappy. Everyone has their place in the industry I suppose.

degbert
beers 1824 º places 19 º 10:26 Fri 8/15/2014

I suspect some of it is the distributors handling their beer. I know, for example, one distributor near me doesn’t seem to always deliver fresh product, regularly kills the varieties that are more serious and beer-geek-friendly (Cream Stout, I miss you still) and has no idea how to handle their bomber and 750ml lineup.

Jamesthebrit
beers 422 º places 22 º 13:33 Fri 8/15/2014

Mo money mo problems?

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 13:50 Fri 8/15/2014

Originally posted by Jamesthebrit
Mo money mo problems?

This is probably the best answer so far.